Shoulder Surgery

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hey, I am not totally sure how this forum works, so sorry if I am doing this wrong, but I was directed to go here...

The doc thinks I may have a torn labrum, and hinted at the possibility of surgery. If I did have to go that route, how long would it be before I could get back into physical sports? I haven't really been able to find much information.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Hey, I am not totally sure how this forum works, so sorry if I am doing this wrong, but I was directed to go here...

The doc thinks I may have a torn labrum, and hinted at the possibility of surgery. If I did have to go that route, how long would it be before I could get back into physical sports? I haven't really been able to find much information.

Wow - that's terrible news. I know little about shoulder surgeries other than the rehabilitation is brutal.

Good luck

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Always get a second or even third opinion. Orthos often will have vastly differing philosophies regarding surgery.

That said, how old are you? I have had a labral tear (slap tear grade ii i think) since my 20's (past 15 years or more) that is not bad enough to be unbearable but has made it difficult to be in the gym since I can't bench anything but declines and can't do lateral raises. It made it difficult to stay in shape while periodically aggravating the injury. Some doctors will just tell you they will do surgery no problem and some will say all you need is rehab. In the end, rehab is just a way to create a stable environment around your permanent shoulder issues. The ligaments won't heal on their own and you will still be limited in what you can do with it. If I had to do it again, I would have figured out a way to get it fixed one way or another. Now as an adult with a kid, I can't afford to take the time off work to really address it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Always get a second or even third opinion. Orthos often will have vastly differing philosophies regarding surgery.

That said, how old are you? I have had a labral tear (slap tear grade ii i think) since my 20's (past 15 years or more) that is not bad enough to be unbearable but has made it difficult to be in the gym since I can't bench anything but declines and can't do lateral raises. It made it difficult to stay in shape while periodically aggravating the injury. Some doctors will just tell you they will do surgery no problem and some will say all you need is rehab. In the end, rehab is just a way to create a stable environment around your permanent shoulder issues. The ligaments won't heal on their own and you will still be limited in what you can do with it. If I had to do it again, I would have figured out a way to get it fixed one way or another. Now as an adult with a kid, I can't afford to take the time off work to really address it.

I am 20, but the problem is I am a college football player, and, besides the physicality of the sport, we obviously do a lot of heavy lifting and a lot of our lifts involve over-the-head movements with heavy weight. I also baseball during the summer, and that is quite uncomfortable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad