Shoulder Pad Help

Frozen North

Healthy Scratch
Oct 8, 2002
OK
Visit site
I have a set of Easton X-treme shoulder pads from the mid 90s that drive me nuts because the actual shoulder pads are so big and "flat." I've just spent about 30 mins "rolling" the pads trying to form them into a more comfortable shape. Does anyone have any tips/tricks to "shape" the pads? Thanks!

beth

Sep 10, 2010
Bellevue, WA
I reshaped my shin guards by duct-taping them into a more narrower shape, then immersing them in just-to-boiling water and then leaving them alone until they cooled. I don't know how it affects the plastic, but they fit awesome now.

member 30781

Go with Sherwood Traditional's. They are the cheapest and a large number of NHL players wear them. They aren't bulky so maneuverability is easy.

Rush22*

I normally do not wear shoulder pads but some of the leagues I play in the refs can be dicks and force you to wear them. So to combat the issue I bought a pair of Lacrosse shoulder pads, they are much smaller and way lighter than hockey pads... they work perfect.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Sounds a bit sketchy for NHL'ers to be wearing those 5030's. They don't offer much in the way of protection at that level, I would imagine.

The older players usually go with them from what I've seen. Probably anyone younger than 33-35 has on bulkier shoulder pads. I wear them for men's league they are great.

Hacker10

Oct 10, 2010
Horrible lookin'!
The older players usually go with them from what I've seen. Probably anyone younger than 33-35 has on bulkier shoulder pads. I wear them for men's league they are great.

Yeah, I'm considering 5030's or the Bauer Supreme Classics. My CCM V08's are a bit much, I'm finding.

ChiTownHawks

May 5, 2009
Orland Park, IL
I have CCM Fit 09s and they are great. At first I thought they were a little more protection than I needed, but they fit great and are super low profile. I don't know how to adjust current pads but when you are looking into new ones and you want low profile ones give these a shot.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I honestly never saw the appeal of not wearing shoulder pads, or wearing those Sherwood 1950's style pads. Mobility, don't buy it. Old school macho hockey bragging rights.... maybe.

Once the puck is dropped, I never feel my equipement is restricting me. And as for protection, I need to go to work in the morning, I will protect myself as much as possible.

Do as you think is good for you.

I say, get equipement that fits correctly and it "disappears" once the puck is in play.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
You can try a heat gun, but I'd probably spring for new shoulders. Modern pads are fantastic. For the money I like the Easton ST6 and the Reebok 4k (what I use) because they move around a lot better than pads even from a few years ago.

member 30781

If you want a LOT of maneuverability, check out the Farrell pads.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad