Should Yakupov fire Larionov?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
First I want to say I've got huge respect for Larionov and think he was a great hockey player and instrumental in helping Russian athletes come to the NHL.

Last year, Galchenyuk fired Larionov and went on to have his best NHL season. I know correlation =/= causation. But it is worth noting.

What are your thoughts? Should Yak fire Larionov? I'm of the opinion that he should.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Didn't know Galchenyuk fired Larionov. I don't like the way Larionov has handled Yakupov since Eakins was coaching, but it's at the point where he is clearly doing the best thing for Yakupov's career. Everyone knows he would be better anywhere else. For Yakupov's sake, I hope we can get reasonable value for him.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I don't think he has wronged Yakupov in any way. He has to look out for what is right for his players and we have all known for a while now that Yak is just not going to work in Edmonton.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I generally don't tell other people what to do about their business, and I imagine Yakupov has a few good reasons to hold onto a Hall of Fame Russian speaking agent with worldwide clout.

Looking at some articles post Galchenyuk split it seems like Larionov (according to him at least) was preaching patience and hard work regarding ice time, and more attention to listening to what the coach says. Those sound like similar things coaches, posters and media have said Yakupov needs to do. I find it interesting that Larionov seems to have been willing to accept a slower development for Galchenyuk, but has twice already allowed, facilitated, pushed, whatever Yakupov to request a trade from Edmonton.

To me that means one of a few possible things. Perhaps Larionov places more confidence in Yakupov's talent (vs Galchenyuk's) and thinks this kid should rightfully already be a star in the NHL were it not for the Oilers ineptitude. Or maybe Yakupov is just that much more headstrong, fed up, whatever than Galchenyuk, and he was going to do what he wanted whether his agent backed him or not. Or maybe Larionov is only telling the parts that make his agency look good.

I don't see how Yakupov comes back next season. It would be really lame to publicly request to be traded twice and have to come back because there were no reasonable offers. I guess we will see what kind of deals are out there for Yakupov. Should be very interesting. Given the kind of off-season Yakupov is going to be having, and his shaky English, I would probably not fire Larionov at this point.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
No, Larionov is clearly looking out for Yakupov's interests.

A soured relationship between franchise and player doesn't require a third party to be meddling behind the scenes to explain, nor is Larionov giving his client bad advice if he recommends that they push for a trade. Between the gongshow over the years in management, the disaster that was Eakins behind the bench, and Mclellan's disdain for Yak over his first year here; it's simply time to move on.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No, Larionov is clearly looking out for Yakupov's interests.

A soured relationship between franchise and player doesn't require a third party to be meddling behind the scenes to explain, nor is Larionov giving his client bad advice if he recommends that they push for a trade. Between the gongshow over the years in management, the disaster that was Eakins behind the bench, and Mclellan's disdain for Yak over his first year here; it's simply time to move on.

Solid counter point.

If the Oilers will not play Yak in the top 6, we might as well trade him and seek a big bodied, 3rd line winger with decent hands. He's not built for that role on the 3rd line.

I actually think the majority of Oilers fans genuinely wish Yak luck in the future. I think most Oiler fans wouldn't have any ill-will and would want to see him do well personally.. He always worked hard on game day and came across as a good kid.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Keep saying the right things and keep working hard isn't enough sometimes. Sometimes the player is just on the wrong team. That said I have no idea what happens between Larionov and Yakupov and who the source for the strategy is. So it's hard to judge if Larionov is an issue at all here.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'm not really sure what Larionov has done here that makes him a bad agent. He's never had his client hold out to get his way. The issue seems to be that he's complained to management about who he's playing with and how much he's playing. From the stories we've seen on this board, that's common with many agents. Let's be honest here, this team has been a gong show for much of the time Yakupov has been an Oiler. I'm not surprised his camp has been upset.

Could be the only reason we've heard about problems is because the Oilers wanted us to with this player. It's been pretty well documented management never wanted him in the first place. Not sure at this point if the soured relationship is really Larionov's fault. To me the blame falls with how the Oilers have handled the player and how the player has performed. It's been a faulty relationship almost from the start. As someone mentioned earlier, Larionov probably should have demanded a trade much earlier.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think he's honest with Yak. I don't think he's horrid by any means, but the way Larionov talks about how the Oilers should be doing this or that with Yak doesn't seem right.

I just think if Yak goes to a team who says they'll try him in the top 6 and he ends up on line 3 that Yak and Larionov are going to have the same issues again. Larionov has to be honest with the kid and from his last interview he really didn't talk about what Yak needs to work on.

J4M13M

Jun 4, 2014
Saint John NB
I said yes, but not for the reason you'd think.

I think it's going to be a challenge to get a fair return for Yak, so one possible outcome is, he starts next season as an Oiler. If that goes well, maybe all this gets swept under the rug and both sides move on. If that happens, extension talks are sure to follow. I think Larionov gets the hard sell if he's still Yak's agent, and anew guy might be able to get a more favourable deal. Make Larionov the scapegoat.

Far fetched, I know.

Then again, maybe Yak's already traded and his extension is someone else's problem.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Solid counter point.

If the Oilers will not play Yak in the top 6, we might as well trade him and seek a big bodied, 3rd line winger with decent hands. He's not built for that role on the 3rd line.

I actually think the majority of Oilers fans genuinely wish Yak luck in the future. I think most Oiler fans wouldn't have any ill-will and would want to see him do well personally.. He always worked hard on game day and came across as a good kid.

Perfect post. Larionov has done what an agent should do. It would be interesting to see the trades he brought back to Chia.

I would prefer that Yak is given a real shot in the top 6. The chemistry is undeniable with McDavid and I don't think the Oilers can get decent value for him.

There should be no reason to wish Yak ill. Good kid, hard worker.

If Chia and McLellan are true to their words about re-evaluating the season, I think there is a very good chance Yak is around next year.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
I think Yak should fire his agent and get a non-Russian one if he wants to stay in NHL.
I listened to Larianov's interview with Gregor.. Some things in it rubbed me the wrong way. We are seeing similar situation in Dallas with Nichushkin .. Larianov is the constant.

Yak seems to be clinging on to the "Russianness".. Seems like he prefers to hang around with visting Russian players he sees once a year more than his own teammates.
Could Larianov be the constant there as well?

Larianov said in the interview that his weekly phone calls with Yak turned into daily and sometimes multiple times a day.. What kind of player-agent relationship is this?

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Perfect post. Larionov has done what an agent should do. It would be interesting to see the trades he brought back to Chia.

I would prefer that Yak is given a real shot in the top 6. The chemistry is undeniable with McDavid and I don't think the Oilers can get decent value for him.

There should be no reason to wish Yak ill. Good kid, hard worker.

If Chia and McLellan are true to their words about re-evaluating the season, I think there is a very good chance Yak is around next year.

If they were true to their words they would have tried uniting Yak and McDavid during the home stretch.

just makes no sense persisting with McD-Ebs especially after Yak is clearly on the outs. Yak's trade value could have been much higher right now.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
If they were true to their words they would have tried uniting Yak and McDavid during the home stretch.

just makes no sense persisting with McD-Ebs especially after Yak is clearly on the outs. Yak's trade value could have been much higher right now.

Yeah. If Yak is traded this season, and Eberle isn't and the team ended up showcasing Eberle on McDavid line for last half of season that is strange asset management at best.

Yeah lets bury Yak with 10EV pt Letestu half the season then trade him for whatever we can get. :laugh:

Sounds like something Lowe would do.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

I think Ebs playing with McDavid was just showcasing him. That's it. Chia year ender sounded like he has no issues with Yak. Far from perfect player and situation but he didn't sound averse to bringing him back.

I do believe Larionov meddles a bit much with his players. It's just that Galchenyuk, being raised in the US and all, probably valued independent thought unlike Europeans

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I think Eberle was playing with McDavid because the team wanted to win.

I wonder what the win percentage for Eberle McDavid was when compared to Yak McDavid.

FTR, I don't care if either players are gone. Just curious the breakdown

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad