Proposal: Should we sign Brad Richards?

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He wants to stay in Chicago... we can't take him if he wants to be paid and if he signing for cheap it's in Chicago, I can't see the Blackhawks turning down Richards at <2m, they'd be foolish to do so.

“I know [Blackhawks general manager] Stan [Bowman] and my agent are probably going to have a discussion. I think before I do anything I’m always going to call in and check in to see if there’s anything we can do here, just because it’s such a special place now and winning. I also know how much work they got to do here in the couple weeks before July 1 and all the different stuff that has to go on.

“I just got to be patient and see where all that goes. It’s a lot easier to sit back and relax and watch this when you just won a Stanley Cup. Last year I was a little nervous, and I wanted something to happen right away. Now I can be patient, and I’ll figure all that out once I get my bearings again here.”

Richards said earlier in the week his career was no longer about getting paid.

Aside from winning the Stanley Cup, Richards also enjoyed this past season because of the bond he and Kane formed on and off the ice. Richards posted a photo of him and Kane on Instagram on Thursday with the caption “My new best friend. What a year!!!”

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Ya but if Tampa offers him 2.5 or 3 million for one year! No state tax still playing for a cup contender. I don't think the Hawks can afford even 2 million a year. He did say he wants to play in Tampa again before he retires one day.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
If we can get him for 2-2.5 (I don't want to pay over 3, which is the max he'd get in CHI or anywhere else) then I'm in...

Income tax difference should make up for the argument, plus he can "come home" and get a 3rd cup, then retire.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
If we can get him for 2-2.5 (I don't want to pay over 3, which is the max he'd get in CHI or anywhere else) then I'm in...

Income tax difference should make up for the argument, plus he can "come home" and get a 3rd cup, then retire.

I got to think it's a two team race for him blackhawks or lightning.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
He wanted to sign here last offseason but Yzerman didn't think he fit in. I'm sure he will rethink his opinion about it this year if there's still interest to come back

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
hawks have issues with over 2 million he would be dumb to sign for that imho if he does more power to him I dont see it I wouldnt accept that after his playoffs

i never saw anything which said steve didnt think he would fit we were after other guys whom we got we moved pieces we had to we had drouin and namestnikov and chicago had no third line center

is a difference now so think is a chance if he takes two million see nothing we can do but this is gonna be his last maybe pay day so 3 to 4 a couple years is what he should be after

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
We have a better version of Brad Richards who can actually play defense in Valteri Filppula, I don't see the incentive of adding another center to the mix.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
We have a better version of Brad Richards who can actually play defense in Valteri Filppula, I don't see the incentive of adding another center to the mix.

Put him on the wing, forget center. He can play both, sort of similar to Stammer. He also gives experience on a 3rd line that has none.

And as for his playoffs performance, he was "good" but nothing crazy.

I'd only sign him if it was for a steal like I said above, otherwise like Rschmitz says - we don't "really" need him.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Put him on the wing, forget center. He can play both, sort of similar to Stammer. He also gives experience on a 3rd line that has none.

And as for his playoffs performance, he was "good" but nothing crazy.

I'd only sign him if it was for a steal like I said above, otherwise like Rschmitz says - we don't "really" need him.

He can? I thought his production took a nose dive when on the wing.

If he's dirt cheap, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He could help the PP and faceoffs I guess. It just seems like a luxury to have with all the centers we already have though. I'd rather that money go to defense.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
He could help the PP and faceoffs I guess. It just seems like a luxury to have with all the centers we already have though. I'd rather that money go to defense.

Yeah I'd rather get a solid #5 Dman.

xteesy

Jun 19, 2014
Tampa
He can? I thought his production took a nose dive when on the wing.

If he's dirt cheap, I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Very similar to Vinny he was forced into wing and learned to adapt. Obviously everything he did nose dived on wing for a while, but he did come back around and turned out to be semi-decent at the role.

Again, this is getting a player who has leadership skills, multi-stanley cups, and decent scoring abilities for pennies. If he even costs 1 dolla, I'm out :yo:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I like the Beaver, one of my favorite players while on the Rangers, but we have Flip right now who is a two way forward and has more to offer than Richards. Plus, Flip is not going anywhere, and he has excellent chemistry with Killorn and Callahan.

I'm all for a Bottom 6 LW though, because Paquette should be moved to the 4th line and stay there. He does well on the PK, but he is more of a 4th liner, 3rd liner fill in temp. Too bad Carl Hagelin is a RFA and not a UFA, Rangers will most likely re-sign him, but you never know. He has the speed to fit this team, and can likely contribute more offense than Paquette.

I would love to see a Hagelin - Flip - Callahan line.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Even for a million, No. Too many centers as is. Again, this is not our most pressing issue.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Even for a million, No. Too many centers as is. Again, this is not our most pressing issue.

Are you sure? We got destroyed in the faceoffs circle by Chicago and scoring depth sure made a difference in a series with no team leading with more than one goal except for game 6. I would say a solid 3C with good FO% and offensive instincts is our biggest need going forward.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Are you sure? We got destroyed in the faceoffs circle by Chicago and scoring depth sure made a difference in a series with no team leading with more than one goal except for game 6. I would say a solid 3C with good FO% and offensive instincts is our biggest need going forward.
Plus he could teach our kids face offs

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu

Faceoffs were an issue but losing Johnson was also a factor in that. It's hard to say how much of a difference he would have made but Palat took only two defensive zone faceoffs so obviously there would be a difference in line usage/matchups with Johnson. And that's two DZ FOs total. In 5 games. Johnson took more than that in Game 1.

Victhor Ollesson

Dec 30, 2014
Florida

With Stamkos back at center, and Drouin getting an increased role, couldn't Fil slot in there? (Insert)-Filppula-Callahan would be a nice (albeit expensive) third line.

TheSchmidt

Dec 28, 2013
Where does he fit? Have a tough time already trying to fit Vlad in the lineup.

Cooper loves Pacquette. Don't see him leaving the top 9

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
Johnson's broken wrist has a thing to do with the faceoff issue. He wouldn't even really be our #3C soooo why would we want him? He's not a bottom 6 guy. I feel like there's a lot of people wanting to put guys on the bottom 6 thinking they'll score 20-30 goals. That's not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad