Should we have moved Nyquist and a 2023 first instead?

Better move for us:

• Total voters

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I think this question would really come down to where are they truly in the reset. If we think the group is good enough to compete for the playoffs this year and the cup shortly thereafter, I might consider a lottery protected (ie. top 12 protected) but I still think this team needs to add to the asset pool and not remove from it. That's what makes this difficult. The other aspect I would consider would be moving a prospect with Nyquist but clearly that must not have been of interest to teams or Jarmo.

I think this team isn't done building and restocking yet so I really don't want to move the 2023 1st. Unfortunately we also don't have pieces to move to get another 1st at the deadline if we're not competing for the playoffs. Then, I think you can start moving picks again. We're not there yet in my opinion

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't want either scenario so I'll trust Jarmo when he says moving Bjorkstrand was the best of a bunch of bad options. A consolation situation would be it gives me a reason to follow the Kraken more.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
there will be very few 2023 firsts moved in general, even less so for rentals at the deadline.

I’m expecting a 2nd and maybe a prospect if we decide to move him. We’ll see how we’re doing around the deadline because we could just keep him. I also don’t think it’s out of the question that he signs a 2-3 year extension at less salary (3.5?) to stay.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
How many teams are there that need to make moves to meet the cap? 4-6? If that’s the case, I definitely understand Jarmo wanting to make a move first to avoid getting bent over a table later on in the off-season. The teams that wait the longest to move cap are going to be the ones that get the worst deals, IMO.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I just don't see how the market would swing for Gus so drastically where a team won't take a 2nd-round pick along with him for free, to the point where 7 months later, teams would willingly give up a 2nd-rounder for him. The only way I could see that is if he played above his head this year, in which case we should probably keep him for the (presumed) playoff run than just add a 2nd-rounder.
Most of the salary has been paid by the TDL, for goodness sake Jarmo traded Foligno and Savard for first round picks. My preference would be Gus is playing wing for us in the playoffs - that is where the big pay day is.. get into the playoffs (blow the roof off NWA.. oops I might have been a bit premature on that) but I have been at playoff games where the foundation seemed to be shaking and I couldn't hear my wife screaming in my ear for the crowd's raucous noise.. I want that again so badly. Cannot wait for that to happen. Then we can bend over and tell the league to kiss our bums..

Reactions: Halberdier

AndBoomGoesTheCannon

Feb 21, 2019
Cleveland, OH
there will be very few 2023 firsts moved in general, even less so for rentals at the deadline.

I’m expecting a 2nd and maybe a prospect if we decide to move him. We’ll see how we’re doing around the deadline because we could just keep him. I also don’t think it’s out of the question that he signs a 2-3 year extension at less salary (3.5?) to stay.
I think there will be less first rounders moved in general, but I would say it becomes more likely that they would be moved at the trade deadline as top teams can be more confident they are only giving away a late first rounder. Right now is too risky when injuries to key players can tank a season.
I’d be surprised if Nyquist would be valued as a first though.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015
It's ironic that in one of the off-seasons when we might, finally, have been able to actually weaponize our cap after years of talking about it, we used all our cap and had it weaponized against us.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio
It's ironic that in one of the off-seasons when we might, finally, have been able to actually weaponize our cap after years of talking about it, we used all our cap and had it weaponized against us.
This truly was not the plan. Jarmo all but said he wouldn't have given Gudbranson 4x4 if he knew Gaudreau was coming in his second press conference answer, and I think he maybe has "buyers remorse" on a few other deals because of it. I'm not excusing the fact that giving out a bad deal screwed us but it's funny that it ended up biting us within hours. Obviously these are the problems I prefer having over the previous ones we had.

I half expect us to move Nyquist and turn the tables again and try to squeeze some team out of someone good, or use Nyquist to match salary for someone with term or is more expensive. There does come a point where this sort of stuff would hurt the locker room but the ends might justify the means if the team improves enough.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
This truly was not the plan. Jarmo all but said he wouldn't have given Gudbranson 4x4 if he knew Gaudreau was coming in his second press conference answer, and I think he maybe has "buyers remorse"
I have to go back and listen to that interview, because I didn't hear that. What I did hear in the Laine interview was that Patty was following the draft, looking at what CBJ Mgmt did to get better. Trading first round picks to cut salary is not a winning move. Lets be patient, Nyquist is 1 more year away from injury, should play well for us this year. When Laine said Gudreau "no way - No way" and said his hands were shaking, I now understand why I was on the ground doing snow angels in my family room

Last edited:

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
As much as I don’t like the trade, it’s a better outcome than attaching a 2023 1st to Nyquist for nothing in return. That’s just not prudent asset management. Rather keep the 1st, take the 3rd and 4th from Bjorky, take whatever we can get from Nyquist at the deadline (which ideally isn’t something to scoff at), and shed both contracts going into ‘23-24 to the tune of nearly 11m.

AirSox

Unhinged Jackets Fan
Jul 7, 2022
Maryland
Do people really take random Twitter posts seriously? Or is this guy suggesting people are waiting at the parking garage exit to hisss and sneer at jarmo. Or is this guy just creating a straw man for him to get “likes” dopamine from?

No idea, but I do agree that people need to take a breath and try to calm down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad