Should we be upset over NJ choice?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
They're the worst.

Pattinson Ave, Sons of Penn, and Broad Street Bully are all 100x better podcasts.

I listen to Pattison & SOP as well. I haven't grabbed Broad Street Bully.

Pattison is odd, because its Craig who churns info all day and is knowledgeable and the host Steve is almost like comedic fodder. It's a good podcast though. I like it.

SOP just came back to the airwaves and honestly I think they are similar to BSH. Not sure how you can say they are WAY better. Bill & Steph came from SOP, so their formats are going to be similar.

I'll start listening to BSB.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Are Nico and Nolan that close that we will just take one over the other without any preference over either one?

Or is Nico that far ahead of Nolan, that we should be upset if NJ takes Nico? (or vice versa?)

This is a two player draft and we will get one of them. Go back and watch the lottery again. For me Friday night will be like Xmas. How can you be upset with that?!!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He brought up trading Morin for LV to take MacDonald the other day.

He tried to attach Morin to trade Matt Read (because his contract is SUCH an albatross and all :laugh:) last year.

His grammar is also woefully bad. You'd think English was his 2nd language.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is a two player draft and we will get one of them. Go back and watch the lottery again. For me Friday night will be like Xmas. How can you be upset with that?!!

I'm actually more excited to see who we get on day 2, just because I have come to like both guys at the top and am not really worried who we pick (maybe still worried about the injuries to Nolan a bit, or a bit more than a bit, but **** it). Also, we have talked the two of these guys to absolute brain death, so I'm really excited to see who else we can snag. Also pretty curious about the goaltending situation - not quite excited, but curious.

Flyerfan13

Sponsor
Nov 17, 2016
I'm actually more excited to see who we get on day 2, just because I have come to like both guys at the top and am not really worried who we pick (maybe still worried about the injuries to Nolan a bit, or a bit more than a bit, but **** it). Also, we have talked the two of these guys to absolute brain death, so I'm really excited to see who else we can snag. Also pretty curious about the goaltending situation - not quite excited, but curious.

This is where I am happy with whoever we get at #2oa looking forward to who we get on Saturday and reading up on them.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's a draft where everyone is saying their is a top 2 tier....then the next tier could go 3-10.

We jumped from tier 3 "hoping" someone dropped to us from tier 2, to now being in tier 1.

No complaints at all whoever we get.

Broad Street Elite

Nov 9, 2011
We are playing with house money and going to walk away with an exceptional talent. Want Patrick, but it is absolutely like a 51-49 kind of want.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Ultimately you can't get upset considering we almost were picking 13th overall.

Both have similar upside and both have similar floors. Patrick seems like the more dominant player, and if he played a full season I would be shocked if he wasn't the consensus #1 overall pick. The guy had 102 points in his draft year -1. He was the playoff MVP. He would have definitely gone #3 in the 2016 draft.

Yet, Nico is fast, smart and skilled. He produced 86 points in 57 games while playing on one of the worst teams in the Q. He was also one of the best performers at the WJC.

I can talk myself into loving whatever player we end up selecting.

Last edited:

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
I'm starving for any sort of Flyer content I can listen to, but that podcast is just abysmal. They have one girl who contributes absolutely nothing, Charlie who literally only cares about Corsi, and the host and the other girl who have the most annoying, loud, and obnoxious voices I have ever heard.

We need an Appleyard, Magua, FlyGuy podcast. Someone make this happen. :)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It's a draft where everyone is saying their is a top 2 tier....then the next tier could go 3-10.

We jumped from tier 3 "hoping" someone dropped to us from tier 2, to now being in tier 1.

No complaints at all whoever we get.

exactly. complaining about it is dumb. the Flyers were gifted one of the 2 best players in the draft. no issue on who they get.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
We need an Appleyard, Magua, FlyGuy podcast. Someone make this happen. :)

Then toss in one of the clueless people as a guest to mix things up. :laugh:

Pick a topic, discuss it like normal, and at the end ask for the guests opinion.

But the hosts get a button so the mic can be muted at any time, just so things don't get too off track.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
I listen to Pattison & SOP as well. I haven't grabbed Broad Street Bully.

Pattison is odd, because its Craig who churns info all day and is knowledgeable and the host Steve is almost like comedic fodder. It's a good podcast though. I like it.

SOP just came back to the airwaves and honestly I think they are similar to BSH. Not sure how you can say they are WAY better. Bill & Steph came from SOP, so their formats are going to be similar.

I'll start listening to BSB.

I don't know what it is about BSH. There is just this false sense of arrogance.

BSB isn't very serious at all. Just a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking hockey while cracking a lot of jokes. Usually at flyer fans expense as well. They sarcastically reference how Giroux needs to go several times per episode.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I personally like Bill and Charlie on BSH as well as at SOP Ryan Gilbert, and then like mentioned Dan Silver is putting out great stuff this summer.

Haven't really heard BSB or the other one.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I have the face for radio but not the voice. Sorry.

We could do a Cyrano De Bergerac deal, where I have an earpiece and you tell me what to say. I'll sexbomb the living bejeesus out of the airwaves and your knowledge can help undumb the Facebook crowd. Do podcasts have airwaves? Anyway. Let's do it!

I spent one day doing the sports on our college radio station, but the cartridges were too confusing and I never went back :laugh:

Gsus

MVP
Feb 20, 2014
Pori, Finland
I still like Nico more, but I also like Nolan now.

I think we should just be happy to be in this situation. Nolan will be a different type of player, less skill. But he will help this team.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller

For me it's usually Saturday. There is no day I enjoy more all year, but this year is different. Friday something special will happen for the Flyers.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
We all have tremendous faith in our scouting department for identifying the best players available.

Now we get to have our 2nd or 1st choice out of the entire draft rather than picking 13 where itd be our 13th choice, or maybe 7th or 8th depending on our board.

There is no reason to be upset

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I don't know what it is about BSH. There is just this false sense of arrogance.

BSB isn't very serious at all. Just a bunch of dudes drinking beer and talking hockey while cracking a lot of jokes. Usually at flyer fans expense as well. They sarcastically reference how Giroux needs to go several times per episode.

I can see where you get that from Steph definitely speaks from a point of never being wrong, even though she has been and has admitted it. So it doesn't bother me. The host (Bill) definitely tries to start **** and it can make for good pod. Charlie is super informative and Kelly (while as pointed out) doesn't say much I think her quiet points are usually pretty on par.

But hey, that's why people do them.

Velvet Hammer

Jul 21, 2012
Hades
From my perspective, it's a total win-win for the Flyers. If the top pick ends up better, you can't be upset because he was the top pick and its out of our control. If our pick is better, then awesome.

Having said all of that - a big, talented center is a greater need for the Flyers than a scoring winger (for the long term). So let's go NP!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad