Speculation: Should we be concerned Turris did NOT want to re-sign here?

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
One of the more interesting things that came out of the Duchene trade was that Turris signed a six year deal with Nashville. Garrioch talked about this on TV and said that Dorion never got a 6 year offer from the Turris camp, and they held fast at 7 or 8 years.

Garrioch surmised after talking to more people involved in the negotiations was that Turris wasn't very interested in coming back to Ottawa after this year, and held strong on the 7+ years knowing the Senators would likely not commit.

Should we be concerned that a guy like Turris, coming off a great post season, and with a team full of potential - not wanting to come back and play here? Is there an organizational issue here? Did he not like playing for Boucher?

What does this mean for other players on this team who's contract is up soon?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Not really,we just had 3 players play 1000 games with us.Maybe Ottawa isnt for some people that,s all

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Turris told Mendes and the president of the condors it he didn't get something done by training camp something is wrong. Then you get the news that Turris camp made a deadline and it was not met. I do think he was serious about signing here but he wanted it to be a two street.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I don't think Turris didn't want to play here at all, I just think he had a price and term in mind, and when it became apparent the Sens didn't see eye-to-eye with him on those details, that maybe he had second thoughts about where he wanted to spend the rest of his career. Kind of like a "If they don't value me the way I value me, maybe I shouldn't stay here" kind of thing.

I mean, it's clearly just an educated guess, but it makes sense based on the info we have.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Source? Who ever said Turris didn't want to sign here?

To me it seems quite clear that it was the team who didn't want to commit to Turris. The fact that neither side even tried to offer a 6yr deal is pretty telling about how serious the negotiations were. Not serious at all. Dorion even admitted he was talking to Nashville about Turris in September, before negotiations even picked up.

But hey, keep peddling your lies and fake news.

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
I think Turris would have been fine to re-sign here, but it seems like Dorion didn't want to commit long-term to him. Until more information comes out, I don't think we should jump to any conlusions about whether Turris wanted to be here or not. Clearly he and his family loved the city with all they did.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I really believe Melnyk is a huge problem.

Melnyk saved this team from bankruptcy and kept it in Ottawa. He may be critiqued for having a budget, but the team is a mid-level revenue generator with a budget that is probably set to cover costs. A sports team will not stay in a market if it continuously loses money. He is not a huge problem.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Hard to say if he wanted to or not.. he said he did .. I'll go by that. IMO and pure speculation, I think the Sens wanted to move on and they wanted Duchene more than Turris did not want to sign here... If that's the case ... no need for concern as per the OP.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID

I was making an observation based on the facts that came out AFTER the Duchene trade.

Fact #1 - Turris would not budge from any deal that was not 7+ years with the Senators
Fact #2 - Turris signs a 6 year deal with Nashville
Fact #3 - Dorion says that a 6 year deal was never an option they were given during negotiations
Fact #4 - Garrioch reported that those involved in the negotiations felt that Turris wasn't serious about re-signing here unless he got a long contract; apparently longer than he would want from another team (See fact #2)

Based on those facts, I asked the question as to why he would want to leave.

As some have stated maybe he felt he wasn't appreciated here and for him a long term deal was the only way for him to feel differently about that. I don't know the answer to the question, obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

What concerns me is why a player who is getting top minutes as the #1C, in a Canadian Market, and playing for a team that was 1 shot away from the SCF, would NOT want to come back. Usually when the situation is good, players tend to want to stick around and are willing to offer some wiggle room so the team can stick together and continue winning. Usually in this situation players don't look to find another suitor - unless there are other problems.

I feel like there has to be some reason why Turris, in the position he was in, wasn't eager to jump on a deal (even if it was only 5 years!) to stay with a team he has been successful with and is on track to be competitive for years to come. Maybe money is his biggest concern and winning is a secondary thing to him? I don't know the guy personally, but I would love to better understand his actions.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
I feel like there has to be some reason why Turris, in the position he was in, wasn't eager to jump on a deal (even if it was only 5 years!) to stay with a team he has been successful with and is on track to be competitive for years to come. Maybe money is his biggest concern and winning is a secondary thing to him? I don't know the guy personally, but I would love to better understand his actions.

It's his last opportunity for a massive contract and the extra year means something. I don't think it's an indictment on his competitiveness considering the team he went to is a contender. I think the Sens organization was uncomfortable with the prospect of committing long term to Turris and kind of purposefully ground negotiations to a halt. I hold management's opinion on being uncomfortable with the commitment so I don't fault them either.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought I read somewhere that Turris had initially turned down a 6 year deal from Nashville, but changed his mind and then the deal went through. Did anyone else see this or am I just dreaming things up?

Reactions: Sensung

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Absurd.

Why would Turris ask for a 7-8 year deal if he didn't want to sign here? That makes literally no sense. If he really didn't want to stay he would have not negotiated, or asked for an insane amount of money on a shorter term.

The fact that his dollar figure was reasonable and both parties had agreed on it is telling that Turris wanted to stay here long term. It was the team that didn't want to commit to Turris as a long term solution to our #1C position.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I thought I read somewhere that Turris had initially turned down a 6 year deal from Nashville, but changed his mind and then the deal went through. Did anyone else see this or am I just dreaming things up?
I remember that from when the trade news heated up on the weekend,,, and then fell thru... I remember reading that the hold up was on the Nashville end and involved Turris not wanting to sign... I thought at the time that it had something to do with the supposed deadline that was imposed.. My thoughts later were , that he came to the realization that the Sens were not all that interested in signing him, so he accepted and signed with Nashville.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
It's his last opportunity for a massive contract and the extra year means something. I don't think it's an indictment on his competitiveness considering the team he went to is a contender. I think the Sens organization was uncomfortable with the prospect of committing long term to Turris and kind of purposefully ground negotiations to a halt. I hold management's opinion on being uncomfortable with the commitment so I don't fault them either.

Exactly. Turris is a huge community guy. He wanted long term security. Ottawa was not in a position to give him that. Ottawa was already looking to trade him for an upgrade before negotiations even started. This made everything easier. Now eveybody is happy.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I remember that from when the trade news heated up on the weekend,,, and then fell thru... I remember reading that the hold up was on the Nashville end and involved Turris not wanting to sign... I thought at the time that it had something to do with the supposed deadline that was imposed.. My thoughts later were , that he came to the realization that the Sens were not all that interested in signing him, so he accepted and signed with Nashville.

I had thought maybe it was a tax thing; Tax implications due to Tennessee not having a state tax mean that a 6 year deal in Nashville could very well mean more take home pay in less time with the added benefit of being able to sign another contract for the 1 or 2 years afterwards.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I had thought maybe it was a tax thing; Tax implications due to Tennessee not having a state tax mean that a 6 year deal in Nashville could very well mean more take home pay in less time with the added benefit of being able to sign another contract for the 1 or 2 years afterwards.
The tax situation is certainly favorable.. and a bonus if that's the way the bus is going anyway

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm wary about anything Garrioch reports after someone leaves town, I get the impression he's the org's mouthpiece for damage control.

Reactions: BuckyDornster

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I'm wary about anything Garrioch reports after someone leaves town, I get the impression he's the org's mouthpiece for damage control.
I don't think Garrioch wants to rock the boat..He has a good gig and he knows where his bread is buttered.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

To me it seems quite clear that it was the team who didn't want to commit to Turris. The fact that neither side even tried to offer a 6yr deal is pretty telling about how serious the negotiations were. Not serious at all. Dorion even admitted he was talking to Nashville about Turris in September, before negotiations even picked up.

So now that you don't like it it's lies. Ok.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad