Should Trevor Linden be blamed as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Simple question, is Trevor Linden at fault for this situation as well?

For me personally, I absolutely think he is just as much to blame as Benning. He hired the man, and many quotes over the past few days have shown there is a clear lack of communication between him and Benning.
I also question why he was hired in the first place for such an important role. He has been out of hockey for a long time, and had zero NHL management experience. I seriously question how much of a role he has in this organization, and if he's just there to appeal to fans while he does what Aquilini wants.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
yes. he is just as much to blame. he is brought in as a PR guy but doesn't know any about NHL management at all. aquilinni's are gonna aquilinni's though

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He is nothing more than a puppet for Aqua

So no.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Linden is tarnishing his reputation in this city. He was revered as a demigod before taking this job, now he faces all kinds of criticism for his work so far.

Aquilini deserves more blame than anyone. Terrible owner who refuses to rebuild because he'll miss out on two games of playoff revenue per year. Boo freakin hoo.

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
If someone came along and offered you the chance to be boss of a company despite your being completely incompetent and having no experience at that job, should you be blamed for taking it?

Absolutely.

Benning and the weird Medicine Hat Mafia on this team is on Linden's head.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Benning's the GM. He's the one doing these deals.

Linden's just a buffer between the Aquamen and the media/fans/unhappy hordes. He was just a bulletproof local hero to hide behind.

But oh yes, he deserves some of the blame. He did hire the monkey in charge of the GM's job.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Absolutely, yes. I think he was counting on Quinn doing the mentoring behind the scenes and even he must realize he's in way over his head.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Linden is a just a public relations piece for Aquaman.

His only job is to come out and raise moral, maybe throw in a '94 reference every now and then.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
If someone came along and offered you the chance to be boss of a company despite your being completely incompetent and having no experience at that job, should you be blamed for taking it?

Absolutely.

Amen brother

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Our cities most beloved player takes a PR job and in one year, people hate him.

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty bad at his job. :laugh:

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
He was definitely in the interview process but I doubt he really had the power to make a hire like that on his own.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Linden is a scapegoat for the Aquilinis, hired because last season they were under constant fire for the perceived involvement hiring Tortorella. They wanted someone to deflect blame onto. That being said, Linden is doing himself no favors being hopelessly in over his head.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Linden came in with little experience. Nobody to teach him how to do his job.

I don't blame him for being in experienced I blame him for taking the job even though he should know he doesn't have enough experience.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
Linden can save face if he admits he hired the wrong guy and cans Benning immediately before he can do any more damage.

But this whole management group seems completely incapable of admitting any mistakes. Benning even doubling down on many (Sbisa, Vey, going Miller over Lack, etc). :help:

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
Our cities most beloved player takes a PR job and in one year, people hate him.

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty bad at his job. :laugh:

Yeah, by the ladies maybe. True story, I was at a game a couple years back and the girls right in front of us were asking what number Trevor was wearing! Both blondes, probably both of their names ended in an "i".

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Voted yes, equal blame. He has a closer look at this train wreck than we do. That fact that he has the authority and hasn't done anything about it makes him equally culpable.

MISC*

Clearly Contacts should take a hit this fiscal year. Linden can't see chit.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Blamed for having Benning make a team that doesn't match up with how you want it to be?

Beyond a certain point, it's not subjective. There's a minimum baseline. I don't need Benning to create the team I'm envisioning, in order to see where he meets/does not meet a certain level of competence.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Absolutely.

Well said.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I voted no simply because he hasn't shown anything that leads me to believe he's more than a talking head.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Meh. He's a figurehead. Who is being absolutely wrecked by other President's league wide (Burke, Nicholson, etc.) but did anyone expect he would do better than those guys?

Still, he absolutely deserves blame for just taking the position without having done what every other former player turned GM/President did, and that is mentor under someone else. Agreed that I think he thought Quinn could be that guy for him.

Linden needs to bring in a special advisor that isn't John Weisbrod. Or Don Cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad