Should this goal have counted?

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Well if the ref sees it then yes, Koskinen's issue was that he was off the side. If he's at the back of the pile he has more of a case of being pushed in, but instead he just leaves his defense to fall on the puck in the crease and try not to put their hands on the puck.

At some point I would expect one of our guys to just grab the puck near the goal line and give up the penalty shot. Bieksa said it well enough, if the ref can mostly see the puck at intervals, it's pretty hard for him to blow the whistle with only Oiler players in the crease lying down, without also giving a penalty shot. The Goalie being off in Abbotsford helps too.

grewalwings

May 23, 2014
Ontario
I didn't see any direct contact interfering with the goalie at first glance, have to go with it being a good goal unless if other angles suggest another story.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Ugliest goal of all time, but I dont see why it wouldn't count. On the overhead cam you can see the puck bounce around so the ref could still see it.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That obviously is a good goal. I guess you'd have preferred it if the ref had mistakenly blown it dead instead since you assume he lost sight of the puck but I think that's backwards thinking.

Reactions: hockeyisgud

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Well it's the I-Formation of goals but it got the payload across the line, good goal.

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
Such a strange goal. You got two Oilers playing goalie and preventing Koskinen from doing so. And the Vancouver players are just pushing the Oilers guys into the net, which is legal since they are not goalies

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As others have pointed out, incidental contact with the goalie does not disallow a goal if it occurs while playing a puck in the crease.

It's a confusing distinction, but when a goalie has his pad pushed into the net with the puck, that is not considered incidental, but rather intentional. There isn't any of that here. Good goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad