NFL: Should these RBs be HoFers?

Please vote for the HoF worthy players.

• Total voters

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Amen. And I notice there's sort of a begrudging attitude toward Gore at times, because he took a long time to amass his yardage. But being a durable player should be viewed as a good thing, not a liability. Sometimes I think fans believe the Hall is for only the most innately talented, but it's for the greatest careers.

Can't have a great career without being a great player, Gore was never great.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Can't have a great career without being a great player, Gore was never great.
In over 100 years, only two guys ever rushed for more yards. That puts Gore ahead of thousands of his peers. If that's not greatness.. what would be "great" for a RB? What is your objective standard of greatness?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Dave Andreychuk is a better comparison in terms of career accomplishments.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Gore is a compiler in the truest sense. No All Pros, he made 5 pro bowls but with the fan element those are diluted. But, I think they'll have a hard time not adding the guy with the 3rd most rushing yards in league history. If your view of a HOF is to "tell the story" of a league, he deserves to be in. If your view of the HOF is simply admitting the greatest players ever, I don't think he makes the cut. His greatest attribute was his durability at a position that is famously brutal, even relative to football standards.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
In over 100 years, only two guys ever rushed for more yards. That puts Gore ahead of thousands of his peers. If that's not greatness.. what would be "great" for a RB? What is your objective standard of greatness?
All pro selections, being top 5 in yards or TDs, top 10 in ypc....things that have been mentioned multiple times in this thread but you choose to ignore. Just because Gore chose to keep sacrificing his health to be a mediocre RB doesn't mean he's better than the guys behind him on the all-time yards list.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
All pro selections, being top 5 in yards or TDs, top 10 in ypc....things that have been mentioned multiple times in this thread but you choose to ignore. Just because Gore chose to keep sacrificing his health to be a mediocre RB doesn't mean he's better than the guys behind him on the all-time yards list.
I'll never understand the rude, patronizing responses in these kind of threads. I didn't choose to ignore anything.. I was curious on your personal take. You believe single season accomplishments trump total career accomplishments. That's all you had to say. The vitriol over this stuff is strange..

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
Peterson and Gore, then McCoy and Taylor have a case.

Never bought into the Frank Gore hype. He's always been good to average at best.

Only 1 AP-2, never AP-1. Never Top 5 in yards or TD in a season and only 2x Top 10 in Y/A in a season. He's the Patrick Marleau of RB, played forever so he has gaudy career totals.
I think that's putting it really negatively. And I know he played long like Emmitt did and piled on the rushing yards, but this is not really fair to Gore. For one, in 2006 he was 3rd in rushing yards with 1695 and 5.4 Y/C. Not only that, he also had 485 yards receiving. The only reason he wasn't All Pro that year is because it was the CAREER HIGH in rushing yards for LT. It was also the career high for rushing yards for Larry Johnson, but that was kinda BS because Johnson was running behind the most dominant line since the Cowboys in the 90's. Roaf is a HOFer. Shields is a HOFer. Wiegmann was a borderline Pro Bowl-caliber center for a good few years, and would finally make a Pro Bowl team 2 years later. Brian Waters was a 6-time Pro Bowler and 2x All Pro. They legitimately could have fielded 4 of their 5 OL starters in the Pro Bowl.

Here's the list of how many times guys have equaled or bested 1695 yards:

Curtis Martin: 1
Adrian Peterson: 1
Walter Payton: 1
Jerome Bettis: 0
LaDainian Tomlinson: 1
Barry Sanders: 1
Tony Dorsett: 0

Gore had 2180 yards from scrimmage, which was also his career high. To not give that its due is wild.

Also, if you cut off his career at age 33 and don't count any of those end years when he had no burst and just pushed the pile forward, he'd still be at 13k yards and 10th all time. He'd still be ahead of HOFers in rushing. He'd be right about where Bus was. He'd still have 3500 yards receiving which is very high for even HOF backs, and he ended up at almost 4k. So we're talking about a career with almost 20,000 yards from scrimmage, which is 6k more than Fred Taylor.

Reactions: LT

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I'll never understand the rude, patronizing responses in these kind of threads. I didn't choose to ignore anything.. I was curious on your personal take. You believe single season accomplishments trump total career accomplishments. That's all you had to say. The vitriol over this stuff is strange..
Well, a couple of us pointed out those stats and you didn't reply so seemed like you were ignoring them. Regardless, don't take things so personally it's just an internet message board and you can't read tone. I don't agree that those stats are single season accomplishments when he couldn't do it his whole career.

Peterson and Gore, then McCoy and Taylor have a case.

I think that's putting it really negatively. And I know he played long like Emmitt did and piled on the rushing yards, but this is not really fair to Gore. For one, in 2006 he was 3rd in rushing yards with 1695 and 5.4 Y/C. Not only that, he also had 485 yards receiving. The only reason he wasn't All Pro that year is because it was the CAREER HIGH in rushing yards for LT. It was also the career high for rushing yards for Larry Johnson, but that was kinda BS because Johnson was running behind the most dominant line since the Cowboys in the 90's. Roaf is a HOFer. Shields is a HOFer. Wiegmann was a borderline Pro Bowl-caliber center for a good few years, and would finally make a Pro Bowl team 2 years later. Brian Waters was a 6-time Pro Bowler and 2x All Pro. They legitimately could have fielded 4 of their 5 OL starters in the Pro Bowl.

Here's the list of how many times guys have equaled or bested 1695 yards:

Curtis Martin: 1
Adrian Peterson: 1
Walter Payton: 1
Jerome Bettis: 0
LaDainian Tomlinson: 1
Barry Sanders: 1
Tony Dorsett: 0

Gore had 2180 yards from scrimmage, which was also his career high. To not give that its due is wild.

Also, if you cut off his career at age 33 and don't count any of those end years when he had no burst and just pushed the pile forward, he'd still be at 13k yards and 10th all time. He'd still be ahead of HOFers in rushing. He'd be right about where Bus was. He'd still have 3500 yards receiving which is very high for even HOF backs, and he ended up at almost 4k. So we're talking about a career with almost 20,000 yards from scrimmage, which is 6k more than Fred Taylor.
Now, this is a solid argument for Gore getting in.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Without diving too deeply into the stats just at my gut reaction I said yes for:

Gore - longevity and sustained high level of play.

Peterson - Self-explanatory. Dude was just a total package.

Lynch - One of the most effective short-game runners and electrifying backs. His personality plays into it a lot as well. "I'm just here so I won't get fined" is basically common phrase even outside of big NFL fans.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad