NFL: Should these RBs be HoFers?

Please vote for the HoF worthy players.

• Total voters

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For sure is Peterson.

Honestly, of the guys in the Hall at RB, I saw Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, Edgerrin James, Bettis play.

So, if these were the last few RB who made it, how does your list compare with them? Davis is the more controversial pick just due to the fewer seasons he played.

Thus, for that, I only put Peterson in for sure. Everyone else, I can see a case for and against.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
Peterson without a doubt. Was dominant in his time and has the numbers to show for it as well.

Gore for numbers/longevity

Taylor is next on my list.

I have to think on Barber and Dillon.

Reactions: Elvis P

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
peterson and gore are no doubters

taylor/dillon/sjax are hall of very good. all 3 would probably be in already if they had played on better teams

mccoy is also hall of very good

barber might've gotten in if he had stuck around for a few more seasons

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
peterson and gore are no doubters

taylor/dillon/sjax are hall of very good. all 3 would probably be in already if they had played on better teams

mccoy is also hall of very good

barber might've gotten in if he had stuck around for a few more seasons
Not a lot of RB inducted since 2000 I think. And that position no longer has those 10 year starters. So, not many more are getting in over the coming years.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
For sure is Peterson.

Honestly, of the guys in the Hall at RB, I saw Tomlinson, Marshall Faulk, Curtis Martin, Terrell Davis, Edgerrin James, Bettis play.

So, if these were the last few RB who made it, how does your list compare with them? Davis is the more controversial pick just due to the fewer seasons he played.

Thus, for that, I only put Peterson in for sure. Everyone else, I can see a case for and against.
His playoff dominance 204-1140 5.6 12TDs (he actually got better in the post season!) should compensate for not getting to pad stats after that catastrophic broken leg.

He's 6th in total playoff rushing yards and the five guys in front of him all have at least twice as many games. 4th in Rushing TDs, all three in front of him have double the games. Leads in rushing yards per game.

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
While I don’t think he’ll ultimately make it, I think a decent amount of people don’t know/remember how good Steven Jackson was. He had a lot of pressure being the guy to replace Marshall Faulk, and he killed it. He carried some absolute dogshit Rams teams.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Peterson is a no doubter. He may well be the last RB to ever win a league MVP given the way the league has been going for a number of years now. Maybe Gore gets in. Have a harder time seeing it for a lot of these guys, even if they were fun as hell in their day.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Peterson is a no doubter. He may well be the last RB to ever win a league MVP given the way the league has been going for a number of years now. Maybe Gore gets in. Have a harder time seeing it for a lot of these guys, even if they were fun as hell in their day.
I think you need to compare those who are not in the Hall to the ones that got in during the 2000's and ask if they are in that same group. Would you take any that are not in the Hall over the group who got in during the 2000's?

Because the RB position, going to be much fewer inductees if the NFL continues with no paying the RB and thus they don't get the touches from year 6 onwards. Playing today, only Henry has a shot. CMC has the talent, with his combo of running and route running. But, a couple of injury riddled seasons, is something he needs time to make up for and is unlikely to get it.

Dr Salt

Bedard saved me
Feb 26, 2019
ym
Feel like Beastmode has to have the clout to make it even if his case is borderline.

Reactions: LT

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
While I don’t think he’ll ultimately make it, I think a decent amount of people don’t know/remember how good Steven Jackson was. He had a lot of pressure being the guy to replace Marshall Faulk, and he killed it. He carried some absolute dogshit Rams teams.
he'd be in already if he had played on better teams. the only other knock on him was lack of TDs

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
he'd be in already if he had played on better teams. the only other knock on him was lack of TDs
Again not going to be many more RBs indicted with the way the NFL offences are tending and how RBs are utilized.

So these are pretty much going to be the final RBs inducted. If you cut it off to the last 10 to 15 RBs that got inducted that played in the 2000’s how many of the ones not currently in would you take over any of the current HF RBs of Faulk, Davis, LDT, James, etc?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Again not going to be many more RBs indicted with the way the NFL offences are tending and how RBs are utilized.

So these are pretty much going to be the final RBs inducted. If you cut it off to the last 10 to 15 RBs that got inducted that played in the 2000’s how many of the ones not currently in would you take over any of the current HF RBs of Faulk, Davis, LDT, James, etc?
not including AD and gore who are no-doubters, i'd take jackson over james

Reactions: Bobby Orrtuzzo

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Fred Taylor's 4.6 Y/A = AP. He's 17th in rushing yards ahead of:
Yeah.. I voted for Taylor. I believe he had a Hall of Fame career.

And I saw, I'm the only one who has voted for Anderson so far.. I recognize he's kind of a novelty pick. And I doubt he goes in. But his rookie season as a Cardinal showed so much promise.. he has my sentimental support.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Never bought into the Frank Gore hype. He's always been good to average at best.

Only 1 AP-2, never AP-1. Never Top 5 in yards or TD in a season and only 2x Top 10 in Y/A in a season. He's the Patrick Marleau of RB, played forever so he has gaudy career totals.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Gore and Peterson should be in for sure, after that I voted for Dillon

I could definitely see a few of the others making it, and can see a case being made for pretty much all of them besides Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Tiki Barber, Eddie George, and Warrick Dunn

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gore and Peterson should be in for sure, after that I voted for Dillon

I could definitely see a few of the others making it, and can see a case being made for pretty much all of them besides Jamal Lewis, Thomas Jones, Tiki Barber, Eddie George, and Warrick Dunn
I don't see many more RBs making it into the Hall. Peterson for me is the only one who is a lock.

Everyone else, I would not be upset if they made it or if they were left out.

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
I don't see many more RBs making it into the Hall. Peterson for me is the only one who is a lock.

Everyone else, I would not be upset if they made it or if they were left out.

I think Gore will go in even though he was something of a compiler, and also I think Henry goes in if he can scrape together another 2-3 healthy/productive years and gets into the 10.5-11K yd range and gets over 100 rushing TDs

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Other than Peterson, these guys are all hall of very good not hall of fame imo. Gore gets in due to longevity.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think Gore will go in even though he was something of a compiler, and also I think Henry goes in if he can scrape together another 2-3 healthy/productive years and gets into the 10.5-11K yd range and gets over 100 rushing TDs
Henry is the only current RB that has a chance.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
there's zero chance that the guy who is #3 all time in rush yards isn't getting into the HOF

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
there's zero chance that the guy who is #3 all time in rush yards isn't getting into the HOF
Amen. And I notice there's sort of a begrudging attitude toward Gore at times, because he took a long time to amass his yardage. But being a durable player should be viewed as a good thing, not a liability. Sometimes I think fans believe the Hall is for only the most innately talented, but it's for the greatest careers.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Amen. And I notice there's sort of a begrudging attitude toward Gore at times, because he took a long time to amass his yardage. But being a durable player should be viewed as a good thing, not a liability. Sometimes I think fans believe the Hall is for only the most innately talented, but it's for the greatest careers.
Oh, his longevity is definitely a plus, will be taken into consideration and get him in. That being said, durability and compiling stats don't necessarily trump his non-elite RB status. The lack of All Pro selections and never top 5 in yards or TDs doesn't scream HOF player at me. The durability is very impressive and I'm sure he'll get in but I wouldn't be upset if he didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad