Should there be a Women's NHL/KHL?

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
Female gymnasts train just as hard and receive just as good coaching as the men, but they can only dream of performing some of the skills that the men can do, because they just aren't as physically able.

I use this as an example because it's a sport where the girls make just as much money, and probably have more fame than the men.

I didn't mean that funding would be women skills = men skills.

I was talking about the development of women as far as WOMEN are concerned, that if more money/opportunities presented itself that the talent would grow.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I didn't mean that funding would be women skills = men skills.

I was talking about the development of women as far as WOMEN are concerned, that if more money/opportunities presented itself that the talent would grow.

You said maybe it's the main reason, it isn't.

Of course the talent would grow, that's obvious, but it will still be crappy quality compared to the men.

OT Moment

Mar 25, 2014
Maine
The only way to have a successful women's NHL is this: give the women's sport something that the men's sport doesn't have.

What would that something be?

There's one simple solution:

Every game is played outdoors.

Imagine if 15 cities all built special outdoor stadiums just for a new women's league that could hold a couple thousand people. If the sport gained popularity, more seats would be added.

After teams are established, the next step is to let the players vote on whether or not to allow checking. It should be their decision, not anyone else's. If checking is voted in, then after one season of having it, the players would vote on whether or not they want to keep it in the game.

Women's hockey CAN be almost as entertaining as men's hockey at times. When watching the Canada vs US gold medal game in the olympics this year, I was on the edge of my seat. I didn't care that men could beat them, because the players are still the best in the world from their gender. Whether or not men could beat them at hockey is irrelevant.

Make the outdoor rinks about more than just the games. Put some other stuff next to the rinks that you can only access if you have a ticket to the game: some skating rinks for kids, barbecue stands, a warming hut, a sports bar, a restaurant etc etc. I would totally love to go to an outdoor women's game, especially if it was turned into a real event like this.

Make sure the playoff structure is interesting. I swear, one of the reasons why MLS isn't more popular is because of its boring playoff format. A best-of-two series? Are you kidding me? How are you supposed to generate media hype around that? My area's minor league baseball team seems to have more fans care about the regular season than the playoffs. The playoffs are never hyped, and I'm confident it's because the championship round is a boring 2-3 format best-of-five (only the team hosting the last 3 games can actually win it at home, and the home field advantage is determined by whether it's an even or odd year! Seriously, the women's league CAN'T be lazy with its playoff format. A boring playoff format WILL make it harder to create hype around the sport.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
I'd say the better strategy would be to start the league with perhaps 6 or 8 teams at first and choose the locations so that travel by bus will be possible thus reducing travel costs a lot. A couple of teams in Southern Ontario, a few in Minnesota or Michigan for example.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
People want to see the best, regardless of gender. It just happens that the best are men.

I don't know about you, but the vast majority of the hockey games I've ever seen have been featuring anything but the objectively best players in the world. There are about 150 000 registered female players in North America, and plenty of them would love to have a dream too.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
I don't know about you, but the vast majority of the hockey games I've ever seen have been featuring anything but the objectively best players in the world. There are about 150 000 registered female players in North America, and plenty of them would love to have a dream too.

Tell them to play better, and I'll watch them.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Every team with $6 million player budgets and 200 people attendance? Yeah, sounds very sustainable.

A little late with this one but their league already offers high enough pay that the best players don't have to work in other jobs. Like I said before Finnish national team veteran Karoliina Rantamäki has played for a few years already for SKIF and she's got a fancy apartment there in a "wealthy area" and has a sports car in Finland. Even 60-100K per season would be more than enough for plenty of women hockey players.

Rekin

Feb 23, 2014
Warszawa
Tell them to play better, and I'll watch them.

The great thing is that you don't have to watch them. Probably you don't watch WNBA basketball either, but still they have a better average attendance than any hockey league other than the NHL. In hockey it surely wouldn't be quite as big, but definitely able to survive and even flourish if managed well.

Jonimaus

Jul 15, 2011
Lund
The great thing is that you don't have to watch them. Probably you don't watch WNBA basketball either, but still they have a better average attendance than any hockey league other than the NHL. In hockey it surely wouldn't be quite as big, but definitely able to survive and even flourish if managed well.

I don't watch any basketball, so no I do not.

BladesofSTEELwFIRE

Feb 15, 2010
A little late with this one but their league already offers high enough pay that the best players don't have to work in other jobs. Like I said before Finnish national team veteran Karoliina Rantamäki has played for a few years already for SKIF and she's got a fancy apartment there in a "wealthy area" and has a sports car in Finland. Even 60-100K per season would be more than enough for plenty of women hockey players.

What women's league pays players 60K-100K a season??

Nuggets

Feb 12, 2014
Canada
I want to get this topic started up again and infact I want anyone who is interested in the idea to message me; you can sit here and say that gender equality is the wrong way to go but it's what will give it the draw it needs! He for She campaign was just launched and I know for my region (Nova Scotia, Canada) that our biggest tournament SEDMHA has just launched a plan for an all-female tournament in November. This is room for this and here's why:

- Female players want that dream.
- There is enough talent to do it.
- IIHF is attempting to better the program.
- There is a market.
- Where there is a market, there is interested businessmen.
- Women are starting to break the barrier.
- Teams would only need a 7-10 million dollar budget
- WOMEN WANT THIS!

Whoever is interested in this; throw me a message. I want to talk further.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
That link is in Russian and my cell won't convert it. The Hockeywriters link doesn't say if the women in the new women's Russian league will be paid.
The russian link consists of statemenst of Tretyak (president of russian hockey fed), Medvedev (president of KHL) and Yashin who is head of new women league. All said it is great for russian women hockey to establish new league and KHL and FHR (russian hockey fed) will cooperate in this new project. There is nothing if women will be paid. I read more articles on this topic, but no article says if women will be paid.... IMO they will be, because even juniors (major juniors MHL) are paid, so why not women? IMO this women league will be copy of KHL more or less, so another reason to claim that women will be paid.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Ultimately fans are going to pay an amount commensurate to the entertainment/skill level. That means that the quality of hockey would take a backseat to... NHL/KHL and all minor leagues; CHL Major Junior Leagues, USHL, Russia Junior Leagues, Mens D1 College Hockey.

I can't imagine it garnering more attendance than a D3 college game, as the skill, speed, and power (moreso the latter two) just aren't physically possible in females (let alone on a consistent basis) and in the womens game. Unfortunately, that also projects a scant availability of funds to pay the players.

NICKtheGREEK

ΜΑΛΆΚΑ
Dec 4, 2011
Rangerstown
I'm sure some big sports network can throw a whole bunch of hype towards a Women's National Hockey League, but in the long run, it will fail, horribly.

Dec 8, 2014
What if they play 10 mins period between nhl periods ?
What if they play the first part in a Coldplay tour ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad