Should there be a qualifying round for the playoffs, if the standings are really close?

Should there be a qualifying round on close situations?

• Yes. There should be a "do or die" game, if the point gap is close.

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Yes, there should always be a quali round, between team 7th to 10th. Just like at some Euro leagues.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • No. It should be just like it is currently.

Votes: 67 94.4%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
This idea just came in my mind after this close 2024 Eastern playoff race.

Though it was unfair for Detroit to fall out, when third party like Philadelphia will decide their destiny. Those kind of unneeded goalie pulls on not normal situations should not decide the team at the playoffs.

Teams on really close situations should go head-to-head against each other. To have a fair chance and decide it on a fair way.

What if there would be one qualifying game, if the standings are real close?

If the point margin is big (like more than 2 points), the current Western Conference as an example, this qualifying round never happens. It could be optional.

Like, if there's less than 2 point difference, then the team on the playoff line would meet themselves on a 1 deciding game. No series, just one deciding game, so it does not f*** up the whole schedule.

Just a one game. Team with better record before the game, like Washington, will get the home-ice advantage.

When you play the last deciding game against the team head-to-head, it would be just like playoffs, more acceptable to lose for them, because you play against them. You don't fall out against a 3rd party deciding the shit.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Half the teams in the league make it. We don't need to dilute the regular season further.

Pretty sure the extra playoff round is already incoming. Especially if the NHL will expand to more than 32 teams. There will be 12-team playoff in the future.

This just a minor thing versus that future change.

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
You have 82 games to lock up a spot. If you can't do it and you come up just short, well that's the way the bee bumbles.

That's like saying if two teams are so close that it goes to 2OT in game 7, they should just call it too close to call and play an additional 3/5/7 games until one team decisively wins.

Reactions: I am not exposed

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Pretty sure the extra playoff round is already incoming. Especially if the NHL will expand to more than 32 teams. There will be 12-team playoff in the future.

This just a minor thing versus that future change.
Everything I've read is that Bettman quickly shoots the idea down whenever it comes up.

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
Nah, nobody deserved that last wildcard spot in East and nobody wants to see those shitty teams play any more games. WSH gets swept and that'll be that.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Half the teams in the league make it. We don't need to dilute the regular season further.
For now. I wouldn't mind a best-of-three of some kind to expand the playoffs when the league has 34 teams in a few years. But in no way should that depend on the standings lol. The gap could be 100 points, if the rules are teams 9-10 play a play-in, then they play.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nah, nobody deserved that last wildcard spot in East and nobody wants to see those shitty teams play any more games. WSH gets swept and that'll be that.

What a bullshit comment. Nobody deserved. :D

Everything I've read is that Bettman quickly shoots the idea down whenever it comes up.

Yeah, such a bad idea to have

A) more games
B) more money

Did someone say "money"....

Oh my god, Bettman will love this idea!

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Yeah, such a bad idea to have

A) more games
B) more money

Oh my god, Bettman will love this idea!

Bettman said he has not gotten feedback from his owners that they want to expand the NHL playoff field.

"People think the system we have in place right now is working extraordinarily well and frankly, there's nothing better in sports playoffs than our first round," Bettman said. "I'm not sensing much of an appetite for change."

Bettman said adding teams to the Stanley Cup Playoffs is "looking to fix a problem that doesn't exist."

While other leagues have generated revenue from expanded postseasons, Bettman said the potential downside was more concerning for the NHL.

"I'm not sure it enhances revenues. Diluting the regular season and diluting the playoffs doesn't make much sense to me," he said. "I think having a system where half the teams make the playoffs and half don't, I think that's perfect."

Reactions: x Tame Impala

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
it's been said on the canucks board, but all of the teams that missed it made some pretty interesting moves this season

detroit unloaded hronek for a 1st round pick and replaced him with jeff petry (and debrincat to an extent). do they still do it knowing they missed by a hair?
flyers traded away sean walker for erik johnson... a downgrade, but not so severe.
penguins offloaded ruhwedel and guentzel for bunting, bemstrom, and players that won't contribute to the playoff push...with guentzel, i think they manage to make it.

Reactions: Voight

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This idea just came in my mind after this close 2024 Eastern playoff race.

Though it was unfair for Detroit to fall out, when third party like Philadelphia will decide their destiny. Those kind of unneeded goalie pulls on not normal situations should not decide the team at the playoffs.

Teams on really close situations should go head-to-head against each other. To have a fair chance and decide it on a fair way.

What if there would be one qualifying game, if the standings are real close?

If the point margin is big (like more than 2 points), the current Western Conference as an example, this qualifying round never happens. It could be optional.

Like, if there's less than 2 point difference, then the team on the playoff line would meet themselves on a 1 deciding game. No series, just one deciding game, so it does not f*** up the whole schedule.

Just a one game. Team with better record before the game, like Washington, will get the home-ice advantage.

When you play the last deciding game against the team head-to-head, it would be just like playoffs, more acceptable to lose for them, because you play against them. You don't fall out against a 3rd party deciding the shit.
What was unfair to Detroit?

Why is it on the Flyers that the Red Wings couldn’t take care of their business?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I thought this was going to be something creative like if teams finish tied on points and regulation wins there would be a tiebreaker game like MLB used to have instead of going to further levels of tiebreaks to decide these spots that are supposedly too sacred to add more.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This thread makes me feel better about HF. Invariably this comes up often here because of NBA jock sniffers on this board think everything they do is amazing and innovative. Yes, maybe to make money. Why fans think something aimed at making money while making the product worse is amazing and innovative and the sign of a superior league is beyond me. Even if you judge a league by its ability to make money, the NFL the best league at making money after playoff expansion now has *checks notes* FEWER teams in their playoffs In a league with an IDENTICAL quantity of teams to the NHL.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is literally the worst idea I've ever heard in regards to playoffs qualification.

You don't change the rules based on how close standings are - that's stupid.

I wouldn't mind a "play-in" round, but if you do that - you do it always, no matter what, not only if points are close

Reactions: norrisnick

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Irrespective of Detroit or any other teams on the outside looking in this is the lowest percentage of teams qualifying for the playoffs ever.

Tradition would dictate 2/3 or so teams making it.

4 of 6
8 of 12
16 of 21 and every other number of teams up to 32.

Maybe shave off some regular season games to keep the overall season length the same.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
A 32 team playoff format would more than double overall playoff revenue and would rewards the 'Cup contenders with additional funds while giving much needed additional money to the bottom teams.

Everybody wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad