Should the worldcup of hockey have women's tournament too?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
If NHL wants to overtake Olympics as the main hockey event, are we going to see women ice hockey in this tournament? Nobody hasn't mentioned how NHL is going to fix this issue.

Any ideas? 4 team mini tournament with CAN-USA-SWE-FIN?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Realistically I don't think that the women's tournament has any meaningful bearing on Olympics vs World Cup in the minds of many hockey fans. It would be particularly difficult to establish with the world championship pretty much filling that role already, even if the NHL wanted to pay for another World Cup tournament for some reason.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
The only problem is that the NHL would have to pay the women's players, who are not NHLPA members, and that won't happen.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
The top women already play in the Olympics. There's no real need to give them a best on best platform. And profit motive is out of the question...

NHL is planning to be the top international event, so I don't think the stuffing things for the olympics to do is feasible.

We are replacing the olympics, remember?

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
3 games

U.S. vs. the world
Canada vs. the world

Championship game

U.S. vs Canada

US - World
Finland - World

This would be the schedule based on the team results if you are looking at having 2 best teams there. I think Canada should be in the tournament however.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
No, it's an NHL cash grab and women's hockey doesn't generate enough money.

Well it is a negative cash grab when the crazy people blow up the twitter and dump on the NHL brand. I honestly think this woman tournament will happen to silence the attentioseekers in social media, and nobody will watch it. Live or on stands. You need to pay people to fill up 20000 stadium seats.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
NHL is planning to be the top international event, so I don't think the stuffing things for the olympics to do is feasible.

We are replacing the olympics, remember?
You seem a bit confused. The NHL is not ridding the Olympics of hockey. The NHL is planning to set up a rival operation. Part of that is withdrawing its own players from Olympic participation.

If you weren't aware, the top women still play in the Olympics. The top women are not contracted to the NHL. The top women have nothing to do with the NHL. The NHL has no way to stop the top women from playing. It has no way and it has no desire. Hockey will remain, whether or not the NHL is involved on the men's side, and certainly nothing will change for the women.

Like, who is this "we"? You and me? Olympic Women's hockey will continue to be the attraction it is and there's no need for a duplicate product. There's already a lack of demand for the existing product.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
You seem a bit confused. The NHL is not ridding the Olympics of hockey. The NHL is planning to set up a rival operation. Part of that is withdrawing its own players from Olympic participation.

And I am saying that the "social media" horde will be all over this unless there is a women tournament. When there is one, then it will be about hotels, prizes, number of coaching staff and what not. NHL wants to rival an international cup tournament in twitter age? Cool, where is the ladies cup.

I d enjoy Gary not making a ladies cup just to see how bad the screaming gets, but then again I am too bored myself.

And NHL has stated itself it wants to be the best international tournament, that means replacing the Olympics as the best international tournament. Just spelling out the obvious...

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
And I am saying that the "social media" horde will be all over this unless there is a women tournament. When there is one, then it will be about hotels, prizes, number of coaching staff and what not. NHL wants to rival an international cup tournament in twitter age? Cool, where is the ladies cup.

I d enjoy Gary not making a ladies cup just to see how bad the screaming gets, but then again I am too bored myself.

And NHL has stated itself it wants to be the best international tournament, that means replacing the Olympics as the best international tournament. Just spelling out the obvious...
There's already very muted amounts of screaming about the NHL not setting up a women's league. You think they would actually care about the NHL not setting up a woman's tournament that would be redundant because one already exists?

Yes...the NHL wants to be the best international tournament...for men. Because its product...is men. You're really not making much of a point. The NHL promising to make a men's international tournament product has nothing to do with the Olympic women's tournament. You call it spelling the obvious but what's not obvious is how any of this connects. And looking at these other comments, it doesn't seem anyone else either read your interpretation or thought it was a good idea.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
There's already very muted amounts of screaming about the NHL not setting up a women's league. You think they would actually care about the NHL not setting up a woman's tournament that would be redundant because one already exists?

Yes...the NHL wants to be the best international tournament...for men. Because its product...is men. You're really not making much of a point. The NHL promising to make a men's international tournament product has nothing to do with the Olympic women's tournament. You call it spelling the obvious but what's not obvious is how any of this connects. And looking at these other comments, it doesn't seem anyone else either read your interpretation or thought it was a good idea.

The point is abundantly clear: There will be screaming. Hopefully the NHL has prepared for said screaming.

And I don't think it is a GOOD idea, i think it is a trade off to avoid negative publicity. Mandatory? Maybe.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
The point is abundantly clear: There will be screaming. Hopefully the NHL has prepared for said screaming.

And I don't think it is a GOOD idea, i think it is a trade off to avoid negative publicity. Mandatory? Maybe.
Saying it's clear over and over doesn't make it clear...

No one else here believes there will be screaming. Nor is there any screaming here. You can believe what you want though, it'll just be more amusing your confusion when things play out in the real world...

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston

And what a great job they're doing! Their last one had all the best players in the world and nobody cared. Judging by the schedule, the next one will be in 2032.

At least the World Baseball Classic has stability, unlike the NHL's joke of an all-star tournament.

I for one don't think there will be any screaming, mainly because the event will be ignored by most of the population, hockey fans or not.

Reactions: JETZZZ

baronsforever

May 20, 2014
I don't understand this discussion at all. Women's hockey already has established tournaments that pit their best against each other so there is no need to create another tournament. Additionally, the reason that women's leagues struggle so badly is that there are so few people who even pay attention. I follow every women's international tournament in detail and it is hard to find coverage of any depth, or fans who care, why would the NHL feel any compulsion to satisfy a fan base that barely exists. I wish the NHL would support and foster the growth of women's hockey, I just don't see a compelling reason for them to do so. There is nothing for the NHL to 'fix', but if it helped make a better pro league it would substantially help the already existing international games.

JETZZZ

Oct 27, 2010
Winnipeg Manitoba
From what I can tell, they already have the Olympics and the World Championships without any club leagues preventing participation in either.
However, I could see the NHL inviting women to the All Star Game again to play more 3 on 3. (Say what you want about the skill level of womens hockey, but the players actually TRIED in that game and that alone made it more interesting that anything else that happened that weekend).

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
If NHL wants to overtake Olympics as the main hockey event, are we going to see women ice hockey in this tournament? Nobody hasn't mentioned how NHL is going to fix this issue.

Any ideas? 4 team mini tournament with CAN-USA-SWE-FIN?
The NHL will never be able to hijack it. The puny NHL World Cup is just not that. Nothing wrong with a women tournament though. But given how bad and absurd the men's World Cup is right now that is not something I will lose sleep over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad