Should The Wings Change Their Home (Red) Jerseys?

sawchuk1971

Jun 16, 2011
maybe bring out those gordie howe era uniforms....especially the jersey..

the wings can wear these uniforms against original 6 teams....

like the wings management should do the move..

here is the gordie howe era jersey...

thumb.aspx

Reactions: iDangleDangle

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
When were they doing that?

Recall home/away colours swapping only once in past 30 years.

I thought they did it twice in the 80s and once in the 90s or early 00's. Cannot remember if a part of it was when they finally started having an official jersey of all the teams.

I would do it every decade if I was the league just from a financial standpoint.

I like having both the white and red jersey. I know not everyone could have both sets, but I still think it makes sense to alternate them every so often.

I know we were in home whites in the 90s. I think the first jersey I ever got was a home red for Kocur in the 80s, but maybe I am mistaken, I am getting old. :laugh:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I thought they did it twice in the 80s and once in the 90s or early 00's. Cannot remember if a part of it was when they finally started having an official jersey of all the teams.

I would do it every decade if I was the league just from a financial standpoint.

I like having both the white and red jersey. I know not everyone could have both sets, but I still think it makes sense to alternate them every so often.

I know we were in home whites in the 90s. I think the first jersey I ever got was a home red for Kocur in the 80s, but maybe I am mistaken, I am getting old. :laugh:

nope, home whites in the 80s. I remember hating the switch to home darks and am still not a fan.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
nope, home whites in the 80s. I remember hating the switch to home darks and am still not a fan.

Bizarre I remember that Kocur jersey being Red. Must have had the road red back then.

I know when I got Lidstrom when Kocur went to New York and Lidstrom was a rookie that one was white. I had grown out of the Kocur one anyway at that point, I am not even sure I was even four when I got the Kocur one. Was my second favorite Wing behind Yzerman when I first started watching the team.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The league should switch back to whites at home and darks on the road. It just looks better! The only change the Wings should make is putting the C and A's back on the left side, as the right side looks dumb. I know people bring up the logo goes too high or whatever on the left, but it looked much better and worked fine during Stevie's run as Captain.

Edit - Been watching since 1990 and it was white jerseys at home then until they changed after the 2004-2005 lockout.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Dark homes before all star game, white homes after and throughout playoffs. That's how it should go IMO.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
From 1971 to 2003 it was the white jerseys at home. In 1996 some teams implemented a third jersey at home, which required the away team to wear white. This was rectified in 2004 with the dark jersey at home. Though there are still single-game exceptions.

Away colours - Wikipedia

Another interesting tidbit according to the Wiki page:

Original hockey jerseys were actually heavily knit sweaters. They were light colour for home games and a dark colour for road games. The reason dark-coloured sweaters were part of the"road" uniform was to hide the dirt the sweaters accumulated. The sweaters weren't washed during road trips. The light or white sweaters were "home" uniforms as the visiting teams necessarily wore the dark. This tradition fit the needs of "home/away" distinctions necessary for B&W television.
Forget about the dirt. Can you imagine how those sweaters must have smelled at the end of a road trip??

and personally I always liked the red sweater better. The white one always seemed a little boring in comparison.

Reactions: Oddbob

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Why not just let the home team decide what jersey they want to wear at home.

It is a jersey.

I work in baseball, and this is generally how it's decided unless it's a special occasion. Main difference in baseball is that most teams have a road grey, and a colored alternate that they can wear for road games. I feel like many NHL teams only use a two jersey system.

JoesuffP

Feb 3, 2016
It would be nice to have a third jersey used once or twice a year. Something with a design that pays tribute to the past so they can keep that classic aesthetic I know management likes to have. I mean even the Yankees mix it up every once in a while. The NBA uses a lot of different jerseys in a year I’m sure it’s pretty good for jersey sales

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
Guess I'm in the minority but I LOVE HOME RED. I also would would teams to both wear their colors. Like red wing red, rangers blue. Theres no confusion if they played with their color jerseys.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Good post OP. Have been thinking the Red Wings need to adjust their logo for some time. One of the older, smaller Wings logos like the one you posted would work much better with today's smaller jerseys imo. As it is the logo is too big and unshapely, haphazardly plastered from armpit to armpit.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
From 1971 to 2003 it was the white jerseys at home. In 1996 some teams implemented a third jersey at home, which required the away team to wear white. This was rectified in 2004 with the dark jersey at home. Though there are still single-game exceptions.

Away colours - Wikipedia

Another interesting tidbit according to the Wiki page:

Forget about the dirt. Can you imagine how those sweaters must have smelled at the end of a road trip??

and personally I always liked the red sweater better. The white one always seemed a little boring in comparison.

I would put it somewhere between kneepads and skates?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad