Should The Sens Acquire Nikita Gusev?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm pretty sure the cap floor is only necessary for opening night - you could trade a ton of guys at the deadline and be way under, then have to get back to the floor the following October. I will try to find confirmation of this somewhere.

There's no way this kind of circumvention would be allowed. I'd be shocked if you could find anything to back this up. There would be nothing stopping a team from selling everything off the day after the season starts and icing a ~$23 million roster (all ELC's).

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
There's no way this kind of circumvention would be allowed. I'd be shocked if you could find anything to back this up. There would be nothing stopping a team from selling everything off the day after the season starts and icing a ~$23 million roster (all ELC's).
I'm not saying that's accurate, I thought I heard that before.

At last year's deadline, would the Sens have not been below the floor given they traded out Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel?

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'm not saying that's accurate, I thought I heard that before.

At last year's deadline, would the Sens have not been below the floor given they traded out Stone, Duchene, and Dzingel?

No, because they had all 3 on the roster for most of the season, thus paying out salaries and accumulating more in the way of cap hits. They paid out roughly $12 million in salaries for those 3 before they were moved. You don't trade the whole cap hit when trading a player out, only the remaning hit (which is why cap strapped teams typically still have a bit of wiggle room at the deadline).

They were still above the cap floor of $58.8 million once the 3 guys were moved.

SOURCE: Ottawa Senators Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
No, because they had all 3 on the roster for most of the season, thus paying out salaries and accumulating more in the way of cap hits. They paid out roughly $12 million in salaries for those 3 before they were moved. You don't trade the whole cap hit when trading a player out, only the remaning hit (which is why cap strapped teams typically still have a bit of wiggle room at the deadline).

They were still above the cap floor of $58.8 million once the 3 guys were moved.

SOURCE: Ottawa Senators Daily Cap Tracker - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
True, thanks for the info.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Should we? Yes. Will we? Probably not.

I'd love to grab him because we need to build up a cushion to ensure we don't have to worry about dropping below the floor when we start trading off contracts at the deadline.

Not sure it would really be a problem...I'd suspect most teams going to make a run would likely be at or near the cap, and would also need to shed a bit of salary at the deadline in order to pick up a useful piece.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
I am not really sure you even need scouts to travel or only just to see the game tapes of the best forward by far in KHL. He was terrific the last three seasons there.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Something that would be mutually beneficial...

Gusev + Clarkson for Condon

Assuming Ottawa pays Gusev what he is asking, they pick up a potential top 6 player for 1.6M.

Vegas can buy out or burry Condon, and get Clarkson off the books.

Also helps Ottawa clear out some of the goalie log jam.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Assuming Ottawa pays Gusev what he is asking, they pick up a potential top 6 player for 1.6M.

I don't really see how that makes any sense for Vegas (assuming there are other non-cap offers for Gusev).

They could simply flip out Gusev for a pick or two (anything is better than Condon honestly). They could then use that/those picks to tack on to Clarkson (heck maybe even to Ottawa). They still don't really get anything out of this scenario, but they also wouldn't have to eat Condon's deal.

Dealing Gusev alone might give them the breathing room they need (hence them seemingly not being worried about moving Clarkson's deal).

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

I was thinking that too

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
I don't really see how that makes any sense for Vegas (assuming there are other non-cap offers for Gusev).

They could simply flip out Gusev for a pick or two (anything is better than Condon honestly). They could then use that/those picks to tack on to Clarkson (heck maybe even to Ottawa). They still don't really get anything out of this scenario, but they also wouldn't have to eat Condon's deal.

Dealing Gusev alone might give them the breathing room they need (hence them seemingly not being worried about moving Clarkson's deal).

They are already at the Cap ceiling, without Gusev, a backup goalie and only 5 defensemen on the roster.

Money isn’t an issue for Vegas. The picks it would take to get rid of Clarkson, likely > than the return on Gusev.

Reactions: NB613

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
They are already at the Cap ceiling, without Gusev, a backup goalie and only 5 defensemen on the roster.

Money isn’t an issue for Vegas. The picks it would take to get rid of Clarkson, likely > than the return on Gusev.

Capfriendly has them with 14 forwards under contract as of now.

Whitecloud and/or Hague up. Mackenie and/or Zykov down. They can call up Dansk as well, who makes the minimum. (With these moves they wouldn't be more than 10% over, which is allowed in the off-season).

Then Clarkson goes on LTIR to start the year and they're under the cap.

It might mean moving on from Subban too (if his arbitration settlement is too high), but it's a lot easier than you're implying.

Gusev is also rumoured to be moved for a 2nd+, I have a hard time seeing cap floors teams turn down Clarkson with those types of picks attached, but I guess that can't really be proven one way or the other until a deal happens.

Last edited:

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
People talk about Gusev like the next Panarin. I m not convinced so why not ask to Mcphee Clarkson + Tuch vs 2 rnd so he can sign Gusev if he like him a lot

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

Looks like it will take a minimum of a 2nd rounder + lower pick/low prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad