Proposal: Should the Oilers cheat the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenhead

Feb 8, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Sometimes it takes bending the rules to give your team the best chance to win. I think the Oilers should pay some of their players under the table to get around the obvious salary cap problems they are going to run into.
Say have Gags sign a 4 mil a year deal officially, but actually pay him 1.5 extra a year directly from Katzy. Same with Smid, signed for 2.75, but pay him extra etc.
What do you guys think of that? And what is the fine if they get caught?

goggog

Sep 2, 2006
Canada
I have it on a very good source that we already pay Horcoff an extra $5 million under the table.

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Sometimes it takes bending the rules to give your team the best chance to win. I think the Oilers should pay some of their players under the table to get around the obvious salary cap problems they are going to run into.
Say have Gags sign a 4 mil a year deal officially, but actually pay him 1.5 extra a year directly from Katzy. Same with Smid, signed for 2.75, but pay him extra etc.
What do you guys think of that? And what is the fine if they get caught?

Very Good idea. This can be arranged legally. Both guys can make advertisement/sponsor deals with rexall pharmacies. Win Win situation.

chance

Embrace the Hate
Oct 9, 2006
Award a confidential bonus for each year the player has been an Oiler.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I like how this thread is under the "Proposal" prefix. Makes you curious to click and read it.

That reminds me... how about a "Pejorative Slured thread topics" prefix on HFBoards?

Brokenhead

Feb 8, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Look, I'm just saying the Patriots sometimes stretch the rules in the NFL and Jimmie Johnson's team routinely broke the rules when he won 4 championships in a row.
A couple swiss bank accounts could be a good way to keep our team together when they enter their prime.
I'm not saying we extort referees or assasinate opposing teams players or anything.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Very Good idea. This can be arranged legally. Both guys can make advertisement/sponsor deals with rexall pharmacies. Win Win situation.

That would be circumvention.

No chance an team does this. The Devil's lost a first round pick for simply trying to push an established tactic a little further than it had in the past. An move like the OP suggests would bring down nuclear war on a team.

The Perfect Human*

All it takes is one player transaction for news to be spilled to the media/league-wide. Once a player is part of the opposition they're going to bust the truth.

Unless we keep it for the elite core of this team - the Hall/RNH/Yakupov trio or something like that. Sign them to ~4.5M but give them the extra 1M through bogus deals (commercials, marketing) that'll keep them here, and never trade them.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
New Age Salary Cup Circumvention System! Aka paying under the table.

EDIT:

A couple swiss bank accounts could be a good way to keep our team together when they enter their prime.

Swiss bank accounts! Now I know why they hired Krueger out of all people...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad