Should the NHL Expand to have more teams?

scoringmachine

Jan 17, 2007
TSN is reporting that the NHL has basically expanded to Las Vegas and is looking into also expanding to Seattle and in Quebec

http://www.calgarysun.com/2014/08/26/nhl-expanding-to-las-vegas-is-a-done-deal-report

What is the NHL thinking. This is my opinion on the current state of the NHL. The League currently has 30 teams and some in markets top players do not like to play in such as Long Island, Arizona, Nashville, Columbus and hate to say it Edmonton even though they have a strong fan base they cannot wait much longer for the team to improve and make the playoffs. The NHL needs to worry about helping these team survive than about expanding.

Just look at all the players that moved in the league this year. Players want the fastest way to win a Stanley cup. Making it hard for teams to constantly ice a competitive team year in and year out. The market for top players is getting thin and expanding will make it even harder. Just look at Calgary we need a top RW and a Top Center which are hard to get. The NHL is better moving a struggling market to a market that works rather than expand.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think 32 should be the limit.

Me too, at least for now. I'd say that that might be the target for the NHL here anyway. The problem is, it takes so long to get a new expansion ready, whereas teams can be folded seemingly out of nowhere (see Atlanta). I feel like they're prepping four cities, with the idea that either a) only two of them will actually be successful in funding a new team and putting together ownership or b) all four of them will pan out, and eventually two NHL teams will fold.

To the latter point, of course they can't speak of that unless it's actually happening. Even hinting that Phoenix could be moved would be bad PR for the league. They have to remain vehement in their support of the team in that city until it's a done deal.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Would love to see the return of the Nordiques.

On a side note, I don't think we need expansion, we need movement.
Florida, Carolina and the Preds are barely a business at this point of time.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I think the Canes and Preds are doing alright, not the best, but alright.

I'm more worried about the Panthers and Coyotes.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I have no problem with expansion. There are plenty of AHL players out there who could easily slot right into the NHL if there were more spots available, the whole dilution argument is nonsense. Actually the game might be more exciting if players like Kane and Crosby have more lesser players to prey on.

On the business side I think Las Vegas is the only wildcard, the teams in Quebec, Toronto, and Seattle should do well.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
2 more teams by expansion. Any other's would be a relocation. 32 teams is perfect.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Unless some teams go the shared affiliation route, this means that the AHL would also go to 34. Maybe that is where the rumours of a new western division were coming from.

Also, does anybody remember what the expansion fee in the last expansion round was? They had a guy on the Center Ice talking about the NHL making about 1.4 billion in expansion fees. If that is anywhere close to being true, I can't see any scenario where this doesn't happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
reduce the season to 75-76 games and add another round to the playoffs :sarcasm:

Let's get rid of the regular season altogether and just have one big playoffs from the start. Make it 18x elimination. Each series loss drops you down into a lower bracket from which you can try to make your way back into the top bracket. Everyone is guaranteed at least 72 games.

LetsGoFlames

Drop the puck!
Dec 18, 2011
Weyburn, Sk
Personally, I think the NHL should expand in QC and Seattle, setting 32 teams and leaving it at that number. The next 2 teams to move cities, (maybe Phoenix and Florida?), can relocate to Vegas (Why? Don't think that'll work out anyways), and Toronto. Though, I'd rather see Kansas City and Houston. (In which case, Toronto could wait until another team relocates to get their second team, which I have no doubts, would do very well.)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg

Florida is one thing, but the Canes and Preds are actually doing quite well. Both teams have developed a strong fanbase. Preds came close to selling out almost every game. Carolina has taken a bit of a drop, but they've also seen the quality of the team go down.

Expand to Vegas, and one of Seattle/Quebec. Move the Panthers to the other.

JulianHopper*

Not Now

I don't think they should expand at this time as there are already enough teams and not enough talent to go around.

Las Vegas would be nice for the NHL to be the first pro sports team there but I don't think it's a good time right now.

Still to many bad teams with not enough good players to go around.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I could realistically see teams Las Vegas & Quebec City as early as 2016/17. It increases the imbalance in the east so someone would have to move out west (Winnipeg, I bet)

Seattle still needs an arena deal, they're two years out minimum. From what I understand, any arena deal is tied to an NBA franchise, so the NHL isn't even driving the bus here. They won't build an NHL only facility from what I understand.

Kansas City has a $300 million arena sitting empty, that seats 19,000. It's hard to fathom that they wouldn't be in consideration for either an expansion team, or a relocated team (Florida)

Toronto won't allow Toronto 2 to happen (Detroit & Buffalo would be fighting hard against it as well). Not sure if BOG vote has to be unanimous or a strong majority though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Ideally id like to see 2 new teams out West as I think 32 is perfect. Then relocate the Panthers to QC or some such place.

As long as the Coyotes stay, I like this idea better.

Get Vegas and Seattle going, and relocate Panthers to QC.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Let's get rid of the regular season altogether and just have one big playoffs from the start. Make it 18x elimination. Each series loss drops you down into a lower bracket from which you can try to make your way back into the top bracket. Everyone is guaranteed at least 72 games.

I'd rather just see the top 16 teams (regardless conference or division) make the playoffs.

Then it's 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, etc.

Until you have a champ.

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
I could realistically see teams Las Vegas & Quebec City as early as 2016/17. It increases the imbalance in the east so someone would have to move out west (Winnipeg, I bet)

Seattle still needs an arena deal, they're two years out minimum. From what I understand, any arena deal is tied to an NBA franchise, so the NHL isn't even driving the bus here. They won't build an NHL only facility from what I understand.

Kansas City has a $300 million arena sitting empty, that seats 19,000. It's hard to fathom that they wouldn't be in consideration for either an expansion team, or a relocated team (Florida)

Toronto won't allow Toronto 2 to happen (Detroit & Buffalo would be fighting hard against it as well). Not sure if BOG vote has to be unanimous or a strong majority though.

Winnipeg is already in the West, remember? ;)

Not directed at you, but I am amazed by how many people out there suggest that the NHL won't allow expansion to Quebec/Toronto because it would cause further imbalance in the Division structure. As if the NHL would make or rule out a multimillion dollar business decision because there are too many teams out East... where the majority of the population lives... :help:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'd rather just see the top 16 teams (regardless conference or division) make the playoffs.

Then it's 1-16, 2-15, 3-14, etc.

Until you have a champ.

Not a bad plan, but I should point out that my post you quoted was 110% tongue-in-cheek.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Winnipeg is already in the West, remember? ;)

Not directed at you, but I am amazed by how many people out there suggest that the NHL won't allow expansion to Quebec/Toronto because it would cause further imbalance in the Division structure. As if the NHL would make or rule out a multimillion dollar business decision because there are too many teams out East... where the majority of the population lives... :help:

Nope. It's like last season was a fever dream.

:facepalm:

As for the NHL not allowing another team in the Toronto area, they've blocked expansion to Hamilton at least once, possibly twice (apparently my memory sucks - might be more) for quoted financial reasons, taking away from the Buffalo/Toronto/Detroit markets.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC

Preds? How? They're among the better supported southern teams for sure. Average attendance of 97%. That's actually a pretty good number.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad