Should the NHL draft add Competitive Balance Rounds?

Evergreen

The NHL still has compensatory picks in certain circumstances. For example, the Flyers have a 2nd rounder in next year's draft due to Jay O'Brien declining to sign an ELC.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Compensatory picks aren't necessarily given to bad teams. Has nothing to do with payroll either.
It's all about the loss or gain, of both players and coaches/GM's. Although the NFL is now giving out comp picks for hiring minority coaches and executives.

If you lose several players to free agency, chances are you'll get 1 or more comp picks. If you improve in free agency, you won't get comp picks. That ignores the coaches/GM angle, but that's how it works in terms of the players. It doesn't necessarily reward bad teams. In fact, it can help very good teams who lost players to free agency for cap reasons.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Compensatory picks aren't necessarily given to bad teams. Has nothing to do with payroll either.
It's all about the loss or gain, of both players and coaches/GM's. Although the NFL is now giving out comp picks for hiring minority coaches and executives.

If you lose several players to free agency, chances are you'll get 1 or more comp picks. If you improve in free agency, you won't get comp picks. That ignores the coaches/GM angle, but that's how it works in terms of the players. It doesn't necessarily reward bad teams. In fact, it can help very good teams who lost players to free agency for cap reasons.

Therefor its kind of stupid.
But, somehow I agree if a team looses star players in FA.
Some cities isnt as attractive as New York for ex.
Its hard to write rules for this sort. But say, if you owned a impact player and lose him, you get compensation.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Good lord no. This league is a competition, enforcing parity even further will kill it.

The only change the league needs to make is make some sort of escape valve for crippling contracts. Handing out bonuses for being bad is utter nonsense. Sports is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. f***'s sakes.

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Therefor its kind of stupid.
But, somehow I agree if a team looses star players in FA.
Some cities isnt as attractive as New York for ex.
Its hard to write rules for this sort. But say, if you owned a impact player and lose him, you get compensation.
I don't think it's that hard. The exact formula the NFL uses isn't made public I don't think, but I do know it takes into account salary and playing time. Star players are going to have more playing time and a higher salary. So that's an easy way to compensate teams that lose star players.

Good lord no. This league is a competition, enforcing parity even further will kill it.

The only change the league needs to make is make some sort of escape valve for crippling contracts. Handing out bonuses for being bad is utter nonsense. Sports is about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcomes. f***'s sakes.
I wish every league had non-guaranteed contracts like the NFL does. If you play well, you will be rewarded with your entire contract. If you don't, you'll be cut and whatever isn't guaranteed, you don't get. Players should absolutely be rewarded financially for past play, but there should also be some incentive to keep playing well.

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
They used to but teams inevitably found ways to abuse it. IIRC Weber was drafted with a pick the Predators got for losing Mark Messier or some other player that had 0 GP for the Predators.

Ed Belfour i think ?

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
There is a actual problem with teams with low success to attract players. Like Buffalo, Arizona, Edmonton(used to be), Ottawa, winnipeg, Columbus , Montreal. Or Ny Islanders.

How to fix that?

Also look at all talents some cities are developing thanks to their NHL team impact. That should be offered something I think.
Like when Arizona and Florida has created NHL talent, that should be awarded too.

But you cant go on forever with a draft. Already at round 6, its a real longshot to even play at NHL, just around 4-8 players reaches NHL past 5th round.There isnt enough quality talent in the world.

Teams with low playoff apperances, like zero apperances last five years sgould get a free round after 2nd round. Then 3rd round begins.

At the same time picks easier should be forfeited for ex. Violating capstructure, like all cap cheating come playoff.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
sounds corruptible. who decides the 'star player' status.
In football it's a formula the league doesn't release publicly, in baseball it's entirely defined. There's a qualifying offer system where a team can make a 1 year QO to a pending free agent (all free agents are UFAs, there is no RFA in baseball) at the average of the top 125 salaries in the league, which is something like 18 or 19 million right now. If the player signs with a different team after receiving the QO, the team losing the player gets some compensation picks based on their payroll & revenue sharing status, and the contract size, while the team signing the player loses picks (the picks are not directly transferred, the compensation picks are added to the draft and the picks the signing team loses just disappear). A player is also only eligible for a QO once in their career.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
No if you have shit management that puts you in a hole you gotta deal with it. That's what being a fan is all about

No. Teams shouldn't be rewarded for ineptitude.
I mean they already are. I don't agree with OP's idea but thats literally what the draft is imo. Rewarding inneptitude, its why I like the draft lottery and the chance for a team who finished like 10th worst to get 1st overall pick.

Icing a garbage can roster to tank shouldn't be rewarded

Reactions: DS7

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Watching the NFL draft now, it's interesting to see how many bonus picks there are tacked on to the end of each round. It is done in baseball as well.

For those who don't know, between the 1st and 2nd round, or 2nd or 3rd round, etc, some leagues decide to give certain teams additional picks in order to improve competition. These picks are typically awarded to bad teams as compensation for low payroll, a star player leaving via UFA, or just general sucking or unfortunate events.

The NFL is weird and has a ton of ways for teams to earn extra draft picks, and I don't think we should go that far, but maybe it would make sense if Calgary got an extra pick at the end of the 1st or 2nd round for when Gaudreau walked.
How about get rid of the draft altogether?

With a cap and ELC they don't have to worry about hoarding by rich teams.

The amateur players are going to factor in likelihood of making the team, which should help attract more of them and some of the hest of them by bad teams.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
i dont like the idea of it.

sounds corruptible. who decides the 'star player' status.

low payroll is an easy solution, spend more.

general sucking is addressed by higher picks.

The way it's calculated with the NFL isn't on the basis of "star player" status. It's a formula based on the compensation of the player that a team loses.

So the Flames compensatory pick would be related to the 7-year $68.25M contract he signed. That would be the factor that identifies him as a "star player" inherently, in the level of contract he signed while leaving.

The NFL is also kind of a mess with that compensatory formula, where it's not altogether transparent and certain teams have been known to abuse the system over the years. It has often worked the other way around from intended, where it's the really good teams who lose the most "monetary value of Free Agents" to other teams and cash in with those picks to draft more talent and continue the cycle. While it's the "bad teams" that actually end up spending a lot more on Free Agents overpaying them, while losing very little contract value from their own bad players that nobody else wants. So they get no draft pick compensation.

It becomes a system that rewards and reinforces "good teams" that are tight to the cap. Rather than addressing real "competitive balance" as intended in this discussion.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
What is the problem we are trying to solve for that this is the proposed solution to?

It would allow less desirable markets to be able to draft more often since they consistently lose talent to bigger market teams.

I like it and my team would rarely ever benefit from it.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
No if you have shit management that puts you in a hole you gotta deal with it. That's what being a fan is all about

I mean they already are. I don't agree with OP's idea but thats literally what the draft is imo. Rewarding inneptitude, its why I like the draft lottery and the chance for a team who finished like 10th worst to get 1st overall pick.

Icing a garbage can roster to tank shouldn't be rewarded
I'm actually fine with that because the league needs to operate in cycles.

You shouldn't have to reward teams dumb enough to not take advantage of that built in mechanism to improve with extra picks (looking at my nucks sadly :()

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The NFL doesn’t have nearly the same level of a trade deadline. There is no need at the NHL for this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad