Should the NCAA move back the PAT?

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
So, the NFL moved back the spot of the PAT, and a lot of kicks are missing. So, I hate to do this, but this begs the question; should the NCAA follow suit?

My answer:

Somewhat.

College should move the ball for 1-point kicks back to the 10-yard line. 2-points should stay at the regular spot.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Our last FCS playoff game ever. We tied it up at the end of regulation after trailing by 11 early in the 4th. Bonus trivia: Sam Martin, current punter of the Detroit Lions, was our kicker in that game.

I vote no.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I think it'd be pretty cool to kick the XP rugby-style from a point that forms a line with the point where the ball crossed the goalline and from any chosen distance to the goal.

In rugby, extra points (or conversions as they are called) routinely affect the outcome of games and can be nerve-wrecking affairs toward the end of matches. As rugby tries, much like touchdowns, are more commonly scored close to the sidelines (as the middle gets clogged and teams try to spread the field) many of these kicks have to be taken from quite difficult angles.

That ramps up the difficulty level so much, kickers would have to become *much* better at kicking and the whole thing would need to be taken far more seriously. I think it would make this aspect so intruiging and difficult that you could make a XP attempt from outside the hash marks worth 2 points as well.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Alabama would struggle to make this.

What I'm going for is the kickers aren't that good collectively. Some teams hate kicking and most don't kick long field goals.

I agree with Rex Ryan who said its dumb to penalize kickers for something they are good at. It does make things interesting later in the year in cold climates though.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
If there are going to be any changes in college they should get rid of the ridiculously wide hashmarks and move them closer together like the NFL does so a kicker isn't attempting a FG at an awful angle.

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
If there are going to be any changes in college they should get rid of the ridiculously wide hashmarks and move them closer together like the NFL does so a kicker isn't attempting a FG at an awful angle.

Totally agree. Its beyond stupid. Keep the PAT where it is for the college kickers, they aren't good enough for a 33 yard PAT and even at 19 yards plenty are still missed.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The whole thing is dumb, I don't get it. There was nothing wrong with it before. It's just another lame-ass attempt to manufacture "parity" on the part of the league office.

What happens when a really big game, a conference championship or even a Super Bowl, is lost because of a missed extra point? Talk about there will be some backlash.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No idea but its annoying.

The NFL used to be the same as college football, they made them narrower to generate more offense - if you think about it, it's a lot easier to defend the short end of the field and makes offenses a lot more predictable.

I kinda sorta wish the college game would follow suit, just because the reasons for it still being wider are archaic and there's plenty of offense in the college game regardless.

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
What exactly was their reasoning to move it back in the first place??
Just add more excitement and incentive to try for 2?

Agree that it's kind of dumb, we fear change

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Competition committee wanted to make the PAT not so automatic. I like the change. A Pro Kicker should be automatic from 35 yards and in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad