Should the Leafs try to avoid winning streaks?

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
I know how stupid that sounds, but honestly, every single time the Leafs get a 3+ game winning streak, they pick up bad habits, as evidenced by the last 5 games. They've gotten outshot in every single one of those games, and you can argue that they got outplayed in the win against Dallas. If they keep playing like this, another long losing streak is inevitable. How can the Leafs expect to become contenders when they get outshot almost every game? Most of the Leafs' wins are a product of great goaltending, incredibly high shooting percentage, timely scoring and just generally getting lucky. I think that the 12 game streak they recently had is the worst thing that could've happened to this team, as they seem to think they're untouchable, and no matter how many shots they give up, they'll somehow find a way to score at the right time. Something has to change, the Leafs are playing like they're trying to get a top-5 pick...

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
These guys are idiots. They can't build on success because they just resort to old bad habits when things go well, then it all comes crashing down and they're back at square one.

The core needs to be broken up.

CerebralDevil

Jul 14, 2011
Time to get rid of lazy players: Lupul is lazy in his own end and along the boards. Gardiner and Phaneuf are just dumb players and don't have the IQ to play defense.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Time to get rid of lazy players: Lupul is lazy in his own end and along the boards. Gardiner and Phaneuf are just dumb players and don't have the IQ to play defense.

Kessel, Lupul, Gardiner, Phaneuf can all get the hell out as far as I'm concerned, with many others following closely behind.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
I don't understand the hate towards Phaneuf, and even Kessel. Kessel wasn't brought to Toronto to play defense, the Leafs got him because he's the guy who can change the game with one shot. I know Phameuf is prone to making stupid decisions at times, but when he doesn't make those stupid decisions, he's still a good, if not great defenseman.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Yes, they should score a few on their own net every few games. This'll likely clinch them a wildcard spot. :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand the hate towards Phaneuf, and even Kessel. Kessel wasn't brought to Toronto to play defense, the Leafs got him because he's the guy who can change the game with one shot.

That's not even a legitimate statement. It's the NHL and it's wrong to think you can simply dog it and win the game with one shot. Why can't Kessel play the game with the same kind of motor as Mike Santorelli? Just skate the way you can and treat the puck as a precious thing to keep possession of. That would make a world of difference even if he wasn't great at the physical or defensive aspect.

I know Phameuf is prone to making stupid decisions at times, but when he doesn't make those stupid decisions, he's still a good, if not great defenseman.

Just watch the sequence leading up to the Stamkos goal tonight. If your takeaway is that he's a great defenseman, I wonder if you've ever watched a hockey game that the Leafs weren't playing in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad