Should the jets disclose their draft list the day after the draft?

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
This is about pleasing your fan base. When the draft is over its done. The Flyers did a draft day documentary on their last years draft. I think it would be incredibly interesting.

Why not??

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
This is about pleasing your fan base. When the draft is over its done. The Flyers did a draft day documentary on their last years draft. I think it would be incredibly interesting.

Why not??

The Flyers documentary I watched had a whole lot of blurred out names, other than the guy they took. How is that representative of full disclosure?

I would say no. Why let every other team in the league see how we rank players? They may be able to draw conclusions that could hurt the Jets in trade discussions.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
The Flyers documentary I watched had a whole lot of blurred out names, other than the guy they took. How is that representative of full disclosure?

I would say no. Why let every other team in the league see how we rank players? They may be able to draw conclusions that could hurt the Jets in trade discussions.

This. I don't really care where the Jets rank players, so long as they are able to draft quality players.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Yes it's true that the Flyers blurred a number of names on their list on their selection board. I still can't imagine disclosure after the draft would be harmful. The only thing I see is that management doesn't want people pointing the finger at them should they have not predicted well.

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
I'd love to see it but I don't see what the organization would have to gain by this.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I'd love it if the Jets revealed that to me, as long as they don't share it with anyone else. I'm against anything that might reduce their competitive advantage.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I think the first version of the Flyers video forgot to blur out the names and various folks pieced together most of it.

Jetsetter said:
Why not??

Teams don't stand to benefit much from revealing their entire lists. You never know if you'll get a chance to acquire a guy down the road. If the other team knows you had a certain guy rated highly, they would have some modicum of leverage.

The Jets don't have a pick between #36 and #97. Hypothetically they might have a first round grade on somebody who gets picked in that range. That guy might be available at the next deadline. As others mentioned, it'd be like showing your cards since the proverbial game of poker doesn't necessarily end at the Draft.

For us fans, it would be interesting. The Blue Jackets did this to a certain degree for the 2006 and 2007 Drafts when they let Gare Joyce write a book as an adopted member of their staff. But even then, Joyce concealed most of their list and mostly talked about just the guys Columbus took. Off hand, he did say that Claude Giroux was #11 on their list in 2006 which was much higher than most had him. In 2007, he mentions that if Voracek/Gagner hadn't been there at #7, Columbus would have likely chosen between Ryan McDonagh and Kevin Shattenkirk.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
They have nothing to gain by exposing their list and much to lose.

Agree.... 0.0000000% chance I let any other team see any info on what I think about players that could one day be made available via trade or waiver wire

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
They have zero incentive to do so. If they expose their list after the draft they risk looking foolish as inevitably they will have a couple of great players ranked lower than they should be and a couple of meh players ranked higher than they should be. That will become fodder for the internet to laugh at much like the 'Flyers ranking Morin higher than Monahan' has become

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
It would be a stupid thing to do. What purpose would it serve?

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
It would be a stupid thing to do. What purpose would it serve?

Agreed. We'll know soon who they like at #2.

As for #22, lots can happen leading up to the pick. Part of the excitement. Knowing more after the fact, may be interesting, but is very risky for the organization. Organization secrets are just that.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
They could lose some competitive advantage by disclosing it as well as opening themselves up for ridicule.

There's absolutely nothing to gain from this. Pleasing fans isn't actually that big of an insentive to be bluntly honest.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
There is zero to gain by releasing that list and much to lose - and my thoughts go right to the players. How would they feel having confirmation that they were the Jets' third or fourth choice for a given pick? Young guys with fragile egos might take that kind of thing to heart.

Years from now Chevy gets the call: "we know you wanted this guy, now you can have him. For a premium price, of course."

Even minor negatives are negatives.

m.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

It would be awesome to be a fly on the wall in their war room on draft day / leading up to the draft. It would be exciting to see their list and how many of their guys they got. It would be awful if the entire general public had that information.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Agree.... 0.0000000% chance I let any other team see any info on what I think about players that could one day be made available via trade or waiver wire

but why?
where they are at June 2016 does not portray how organizations feel about them 3, 6, 12 or 24 months later.
players progress, and players regress

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I'd like them to release their list to me. No one else.

Why not release it only to Jet fans prior to the draft so we can follow along at home. We just have to promise not to give the list to other teams. We can keep a secret can'tbwe? :sarcasm:

Coach G

Oct 1, 2015
In the corners
Why not release it only to Jet fans prior to the draft so we can follow along at home. We just have to promise not to give the list to other teams. We can keep a secret can'tbwe? :sarcasm:

Oh, sure, sports fans in general (and HFBoards fans in particular) are great at keeping secrets.:sarcasm:
Maybe just the two of us, then? :laugh:

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Yes it's true that the Flyers blurred a number of names on their list on their selection board. I still can't imagine disclosure after the draft would be harmful. The only thing I see is that management doesn't want people pointing the finger at them should they have not predicted well.

It could be used against them for sure. Would love it as a fan, and you are right it would bring a lot of second guessing. But how you scout should be mostly proprietary if you want to give yourself the biggest advantage.

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
The Canucks inadvertently released their 2010 draft board (the screenshot is missing now, but Cancuks Army transcribed it - Burmi at #3! Melchiori #23!!) http://canucksarmy.com/2013/6/24/did-the-canucks-post-their-2010-draft-board

I don't see why any team would ever deliberately reveal their list. Trade secrets. Second guessing. It sure would be interesting though...

Hey, since they had Burmi so high maybe they would trade the #5 pick for him.:sarcasm: Heck, even throw in Melchiori and the 22nd.

Seriously though, no reason to show the list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad