OT: Should the Habs get rid of that white stripe in their numbers?

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
They've had them for 15 years or so, but I think it looks better without.

I couldn't find a better pic than this:

roy.jpg

Anyone agrees?

I hated that white stripe between the blue and red from they day they started using it...

01-chris-chelios.jpg

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The older look is cleaner and better in my opinion. Not biased by two HOFers wearing it.

Bermy

Jun 2, 2007
Houston
I personally prefer the white stripe but my opinion is biased because that is what I'm used to seeing. If they did remove it I would be fine with the change though

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Yes they should, I hate that white stripe. The numbers look fuller and much better without.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
They've had them for 15 years or so, but I think it looks better without.

I couldn't find a better pic than this:

roy.jpg

Anyone agrees?

I hated that white stripe between the blue and red from they day they started using it...

01-chris-chelios.jpg

I have twice, over the years, posted this very same thing.

Every year when pre-season games begin, I hope that they have gotten rid of it. Looks way better, and bolder, the way it used to be.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
And another thing they should bring back now that I look at these pictures. That blue stripe at the bottom of the boards along the ice, looks so nice in blue. Reminds me instantly of the old forum. I don't know why it's yellow now, like every arena in the league. It's probably mandated by the league of course.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
I don't see any white strips. And yes the 90-93 jersey looks better than today's. Every team is bringing back the vintage jersey, I think Montreal should bring the early 90's jersey

expy

Nov 2, 2010
The white stripe makes it much cleaner since it aligns with every other instance of RED-WHITE-BLUE.

The only instances of blue touching red are the logo on the red jersey, the numbers on the red jersey, and the bottom shirt stripe on the red jersey.

nilan30

Jan 14, 2004
And another thing they should bring back now that I look at these pictures. That blue stripe at the bottom of the boards along the ice, looks so nice in blue. Reminds me instantly of the old forum. I don't know why it's yellow now, like every arena in the league. It's probably mandated by the league of course.

I agree the blue on the boards was pretty recognizable but I think your right about it being mandated yellow for some reason. I know Boston has the black dasher on the top instead of the typical red but the bottoms all seem to be yellow. It'd be kind of cool if all teams had their colours on the boards.

VladTheLimpWhaler

Dec 4, 2015
Edmonton, AB
This is the white stripe that they are talking about, the stripe inside the number

Carey-Price-Montreal-Canadiens-Reebok-Premier-Replica-Road-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-N36456_XL.jpg

I think it looks better without. Getting rid of it would also make the two jerseys more consistent because the red jersey doesn't have a stripe between the outer layer and the inside of the number

Carey-Price-Montreal-Canadiens-Reebok-EDGE-Authentic-Dark-Goalie-Cut-NHL-Hockey-Jersey-N6491_XL.jpg

So why should one of our jerseys have its numbers encased in two stripes, while the other jersey has its numbers encased in only one stripe?

Also, does anyone wish that they would go back to the old home and away jerseys? It used to be that the white jersey was the home jersey, and the red was the away jersey, now the red is the home and the white is the away. I like seeing the Habs wearing white at the Bell Centre.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
I agree the blue on the boards was pretty recognizable but I think your right about it being mandated yellow for some reason. I know Boston has the black dasher on the top instead of the typical red but the bottoms all seem to be yellow. It'd be kind of cool if all teams had their colours on the boards.
That's one of the things I hate about the NHL, this obsession with making everything the same league wide, NFL syndrome. I really think teams should have more freedom for some decisions. I loved when some arena like Boston Garden and Buffalo auditorium were smaller, made it more interesting and entertaining. It's one of the things I love about Baseball, the ballparks are not all the same size and shape.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
I prefered the old look as well.

The current look makes some sense as the numbers have the same set up as the logo with the colors inverted.

I'm thinking the motivation for the change might have been to distance themselves from the trademark NYR look.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
That's one of the things I hate about the NHL, this obsession with making everything the same league wide, NFL syndrome. I really think teams should have more freedom for some decisions. I loved when some arena like Boston Garden and Buffalo auditorium were smaller, made it more interesting and entertaining. It's one of the things I love about Baseball, the ballparks are not all the same size and shape.

Back in the mid 80s, some rinks, including the Forum, had the penalty boxes on the same sod of the ice as the home bench. Slight advantage but home ice is supposed to give an advantage.

The league made them all change to what you see now - benches on same side, opposite the penalty box.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I like the most recent version. If the argument is consistency between away and home, they aren't exact opposites of one another anyway-- considerably different and both awesome in their own rights -- no need for the numbers to look exactly the same/inverted pattern.

Current look is the best IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad