Should The Flames Go After Callahan?

Johnny Hockey

Nov 18, 2010
Calgary Alberta
Cammy + hanowski? Maybe add a later pick. I don't think we should though and I don't think he would re-sign with us. Maybe if we arraigned an extension?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Doubt he'll sign with us.. Every contender will want what he brings

Aug 3, 2010
He's 28 years of age. Not questioning his overall ability but to me, that price tag is too much for a team that isn't competing and for a player who isn't a massive upgrade over what Calgary has in the pipeline OR in the organization. The most points he's ever accumulated in a season is 54. Other fans say he's a good leader on and off the ice but the Flames have many great character guys already.

What am I missing here that makes Callahan worth 2 or 3 times the price of the likes of Hudler, Stajan, Glencross, Giordano, Backlund, etc.? All are great locker room guys who can produce at around the same level.

I have nothing against Ryan Callahan as a player but at that price and age I don't get why he's even in the consideration for a team like Calgary at this stage.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Never plays a full season, maxes out at 55-60 points in a good year, and apparently has way too high an opinion of himself. No thanks. He's a great 5ish million dollar player. He's not a 6.5 million dollar player. And with the way he plays it's entirely likely that his effectiveness on ice drops off rapidly in his 30s.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Let him hit Free Agency and put an offer in there. If he doesn't sign with us, no big deal. Plenty of other UFA's available.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Nope. That kind of price is insanity. He's never broken 60 points thus far and he's definitely not worth 6.5 for 7 years. He'll be another Clarkson, and you know he's asking for too much when the New York freaking Rangers are afraid to break the bank!

Trae

Calgary
No we shouldn't, he's asking for ridiculous money and term, something we can't commit to, not for this type of player. We are already filled with a lot of character and Callahan isn't a game breaker. More importantly however, is even if we wanted him, we couldn't get him. Other teams will be willing to put together much better packages than anything we should be offering.

Aug 3, 2010
Also I understand Calgary will be looking to hit the cap floor next season but I believe there will be better options that will suit this organization that will become more apparent later on.

In addition, we have yet to see a "Burke Signature Move™" aka "The Big Splash" and I'm sure whoever he may have in mind will come with a large contract as it is.

Bosnian Beast

Formerly Janko Unchained
Dec 30, 2010
Lethbridge, AB
Cammy + hanowski? Maybe add a later pick. I don't think we should though and I don't think he would re-sign with us. Maybe if we arraigned an extension?

There is no way I would consider throwing assets NYR's way when the rumour is that Buffalo has an offer ready for him if he makes it to Free Agency. If he makes it to July 1st and in Burke's shoes, I would consider a $6,000,000 AAV deal, but not for that kind of term. I would consider five years, no more than that. At $6.5 to 7 million for seven years... Yeah, I'd tell him and his agent to pound sand.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Don't want him here, especially at the price he thinks he's worth. The Flames need to let the rebuild take its course and not try and take short cuts by overpaying in free agency.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
It might be too early for the flames to get a player like him, it'll just put us in the middle of the pack again. Cally is like a first line version of Brandon Prust, any team would love to have him.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
No freakin' way. We're nowhere close to being a playoff contender for a few years so if we bagged him (assuming if he even wanted to play here), we'd just be wasting money while spinning our wheels. We just got ourselves out of that position, why would we go back? Besides, he I'm not convinced he's the type of player that would put any team over the top, especially for the money and term he's asking for.

I like where we are right now: having lots of cap space while we get the ship headed in the right direction. Spend the money when we're ready to do something with it.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Sorry but trading assets for UFA's is asinine at best given the organization is rebuilding.

However, I'm not opposed to Burke or whoever the new GM is going after Callahan in free agency even though he'll likely be horribly overpaid so long as it's a five year or less contract.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
In no way, shape or form would I want anything to do with Callahan, north of $5 million! He's broken 50+ points once in his career and hasn't played 82 games in quite a while. That's a move the old Flames would have made. No thanks!

Walkingthroughforest

I got the worst ******* attorneys
Aug 19, 2007
We need to hit the cap floor, and there's a serious chance we won't be at that number by the time the season starts next year. If guys like Arnold, Poirier, Gaudreau, Agostino or Hanowski suprise and make the team, we're looking at a very young team on ELC's.

I wouldn't be opposed to signing him to the 6.5 for 6, as he'll be halfway through his contract when it looks like we'll be contenders. As well the cap is going to rise significantly, and 6 mil won't be a crazy number in three years time.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'd rather throw big money at Dan Girardi than overpay for Callahan... (If we were throwing money at FA... I don't want this)

6yrs x 6.5+ is ridiculous money/term for what he brings.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
As everyone else has noted paying that much for a 50pts guy is insane. Plus he wants a long contract which may come back to bite us? No thanks. As much as I would love to get a big free agent signing in, there is no way we should be giving assets for a UFA right now.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I'd rather throw big money at Dan Girardi than overpay for Callahan... (If we were throwing money at FA... I don't want this)

6yrs x 6.5+ is ridiculous money/term for what he brings.

Yeah Dan Girardi is another solid guy, but I doubt the NY Rangers fail to sign him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad