Should the ECHL be renamed?

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
They've built brand recognition over nearly 30 years. It's not going to happen because a bunch of message board twits post a topic every year on how they think the league should change its name.

But if you don't believe me, call the league at (609) 452-0770 and ask for Brian McKenna or Joe Babik. I'm sure they'd love to discuss it with you.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They've built brand recognition over nearly 30 years. It's not going to happen because a bunch of message board twits post a topic every year on how they think the league should change its name.

But if you don't believe me, call the league at (609) 452-0770 and ask for Brian McKenna or Joe Babik. I'm sure they'd love to discuss it with you.

Joe Babik is an ass but that's a different topic for a different day. McKenna is dreaming if he thinks he will get Andrews job when he retires.

You certainly could argue that the brand is false. There's still people out there in the hockey business that call it the East Coast Hockey League because well the abbreviation has always been the same. Also the league has changed and been two different leagues. Started out as your classic league of good rivalries and fun to now thinking its more important than it really is.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Not just in the hockey business. Those unfamiliar with the league in the media still call it the East Coast Hockey League because they're so used to acronyms for leagues they just assume it has to stand for something.

An example being this story about a proposed arena in Fenton, MO.

That being said, no they shouldn't and they won't. The league held on to ECHL in 2003 due to the history behind the brand, they're not going to change it 12 years later.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The ECHL is like the Big Ten. It doesn't make sense anymore, but they're committed to the branding and they're not changing it now.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Not just in the hockey business. Those unfamiliar with the league in the media still call it the East Coast Hockey League because they're so used to acronyms for leagues they just assume it has to stand for something.

An example being this story about a proposed arena in Fenton, MO.

That being said, no they shouldn't and they won't. The league held on to ECHL in 2003 due to the history behind the brand, they're not going to change it 12 years later.

The problem is even back then in 03 to now the league is nothing of what it started out as. Used to be fun old time like hockey and now its a wannabe sellout to the affiliation game.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Joe Babik is an ass but that's a different topic for a different day. McKenna is dreaming if he thinks he will get Andrews job when he retires.

You certainly could argue that the brand is false. There's still people out there in the hockey business that call it the East Coast Hockey League because well the abbreviation has always been the same. Also the league has changed and been two different leagues. Started out as your classic league of good rivalries and fun to now thinking its more important than it really is.

I'm interested to know why you'd have such a strong opinion about a mostly-invisible league employee...

Is the brand false? Somewhat - but it's their brand. Where's your marketing-focused MBA from? I'm sure the league would love for you to volunteer to conduct a brand-recognition study and posit some potential changes that would benefit the league.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
They could simply go with the family affordable entertainment though I'd even debate that. I can think of a few things cheaper you could do on a night for an activity versus taking a family to a game. Its a tricky situation. Atleast in the AHL it really works. Granted there are career minor leaguers and vets on teams but a lot of those young guys will get an honest look. So it is kinda future stars(well maybe you can't predict how good they will be when their shot comes) at this level its more about the American Dream or playing for the love of the game...or it should be. Instead they've created false hope to a lot of young men and they have become a bunch of selfish whiny brats but they should focus on the vets note because those guys are what the league really is. Most of the guys on every roster in a given year are never even coming close to seeing an NHL game. Maybe a preseason game if they are lucky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad