OT: Should the Coyotes Offer Tie Domi a Staff Position?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
IF he wanted one? I know it's kind of an off the wall question. I was just re-watching the videos of when we drafted Max Domi, and though Tie was a hated man during his time in the NHL, he really is a classy guy and he's no dummy.

There are so many "positions" an NHL team has to offer as we have seen many times before after a player has retired. Some are actually very important roles, and some are as trivial as a "backup assistant video coach." Even though we may not necessarily need him, I would support giving Tie a job within the organization. I think it would make Max absolutely thrilled, and I think Tie would love to play some kind of role in the organization that drafted his son. Plus, it could possibly give Max more incentive to stay (not saying he needs any) with us for a long period of time, and not give us the Mueller, Wheeler, Turris treatment (not saying he is anything like those guys or that he has shown any signs of wanting to leave.)

I don't know, like I said I'm just kind of spitballing. Who knows, he may even be able to offer us some legitimate help and experience.

doaner

Aug 21, 2008
SURPRISE!
I would entertain the idea. It would be good to have a mentor for him, to help adjust him to the NHL life.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
To your point about Max "wanting to stay," I think the difference between Ulf Samuelason's kid / Tie Domi's kid / Gord Murphy's kid ... and Bob Wheeler's kid is that one has a dad who knows what a privilege it is to be in the league at all and respects how the league works ... while the other has a mom who thinks "you should just tell them you don't want to play somewhere so far from home and you were always a Leafs fan you should tell them to trade you Toronto ..."

Besides, what 20 year old kid wants his dad around all the time? Max has already proven himself to be a hard-worker and high-achiever ... an NHL contract isn't the only reason he isn't living in dad's basement.

Take Nash's job or no thanks.

Edit: just re-watched those videos. He said it himself. He's had his time in the spotlight, he's just a dad now.

The Grocery Stick

AZDomiNation
Oct 30, 2014
ID
I'd be in favor of setting up Tie with something. I like the giving him Nash's job idea. Too bad Probert passed, can you imagine those two doing games?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we do this for Domi, then Al MacInnis, Ulf Samuelsson, Fred Perlini, etc. will want jobs too :P

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Aren't we trying to get rid of the whole atmosphere of nepotism around here?

Just sayin'. I don't think having hockey dads around their kids all the time as part of the organization is any better of an idea than having the Friends of Gretzky.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003
Aren't we trying to get rid of the whole atmosphere of nepotism around here?

Just sayin'. I don't think having hockey dads around their kids all the time as part of the organization is any better of an idea than having the Friends of Gretzky.

∆That!

I have loved Domi since the days he was riding shotgun for Teemu in the Peg. But creating a job to have him somehow mentor Max as he enters the show seems misguided to me. I assume Tie will be there for his son no matter what if he is needed.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
Seems like a decent guy. I wouldn't mind if he was on the player development side of the ops. Just one more veteran teaching the kids to work hard for the team and not the individual. Starts the kids off right, makes things easier for the coaches (practices/games) and GM (contract negotiations). If the management truly wants to build long term from within, the philosophy would work. Wasn't a Burke fan when he was a player but he's been a great hire. Doan will more than likely be taking some kind of roll with the organization.

I don't mind if ex-players are brought into the organization but...
-they must be brought in slowly and not just handed the kingdom
-there must be accountability
-they must work more than they are golfing (looking at you, Fuhr)

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Absolutely not didn't we learn from FOG era?

Tie Domi has always been all about Tie. His reputation is not good. If Twitter existed during his days in Winnipeg he would have been treated worse than Evander Kane.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Absolutely not didn't we learn from FOG era?

Tie Domi has always been all about Tie. His reputation is not good. If Twitter existed during his days in Winnipeg he would have been treated worse than Evander Kane.

What are some examples of that? (Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just genuinly curious.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Come to think of it, I don't remember seeing Tie at all in interviews, live shots, etc. either during the preseason when Max was with us, nor at the World Juniors (not that it didn't happen, I just never saw it). I get the impression they're (or at least one of them is) trying to play that relationship down a bit.

Not as much as, say, Mike and Henry Bibby, but some...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Tie doesn't want to be a distraction. So no, let Max do his thing like every other kid.

Ulf is different, because he has coaching chops. He might be intrigued by the chance to coach his sons, or he might want to abstain from it completely. What happened with Modo was different.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Tie is welcome to move to Phoenix, enjoy the amazing weather and enjoy going to games to watch his son like the rest of us but no, I don't think the Coyotes should give him a job!

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Tie is heavily involved in many business ventures in Toronto. He is quite wealthy. If he wanted to hang out in Phoenix he would just do it. There's no fit or need to expand the relationship any further than Father of prospect.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
What are some examples of that? (Not saying I don't believe you, I'm just genuinly curious.

Any response I put here runs risk of libel/slander. That being said by his own admission Tie has admitted he was an egotistical jerk at times during his playing days. He came off extremely arrogant during the unfortunate times that he and I were in the same venues together.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Any response I put here runs risk of libel/slander. That being said by his own admission Tie has admitted he was an egotistical jerk at times during his playing days. He came off extremely arrogant during the unfortunate times that he and I were in the same venues together.

Did you work for the organization?

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Nope. I just lived in the same city.

Ah, did you guys cross paths often? Running into the same professional athlete often is weird to me haha. I'm assuming you mean in Winnipeg though, which I've heard is smallish especially compared to the Phoenix area.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Ah, did you guys cross paths often? Running into the same professional athlete often is weird to me haha. I'm assuming you mean in Winnipeg though, which I've heard is smallish especially compared to the Phoenix area.

Tie and Max's mom are estranged for a reason. Just google stuff if you want to know more.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Tie and Max's mom are estranged for a reason. Just google stuff if you want to know more.

I'm not doubting him, it's just a weird thought to me to run into a famous person more than once haha. The guy was a giant cheap shot artist, him not being a nice guy isn't shocking. His elbow on niedermayer was among the dirtiest things I've ever seen.

Edit: The article I found on the tie and his ex wife wasn't pretty.

Matzel

Jul 26, 2003

I remember bumping into Tie at Ichiban's (men's room) in '94 or '95 and talking to him. He was injured at the time and I asked him how his recovery was going. He came across alright but this was the only time I spoke with him. Admittedly a small sample size.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad