Books: Should the classics be edited for "political correctness"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
harrison-ford-who-gives-a-shit.gif

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
file-20210909-19-10om6xs.jpeg

Roald Dahl has long been a member of the don't-meet-your-heroes club. Here are the Oompa Loompas as originally written. Dahl was defiant for a decade, calling the NAACP "Nazis" for suggesting there might be something wrong with whimsically utilizing African slave labor. I can't really blame his estate for cleaning up his works even if some of the changes are silly.

Reactions: Jussi

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the works of Roald Dahl is not "Some of the greatest novels ever written". I think it's mostly dumb, but see it as a relatively harmless soccer mom thing than a precursor to a dystopian 1982 or something.

Classic literature gives us thoughts and perspective from the people of the past, in which I think there is immense value. This isn't under any sort of threat though, and this is more something you should start understanding as teens. For children's literature though I don't think they're going to pick up on that subtle context. So while I called the example here 'dumb', I'd hardly have a problem if say they de-blackfaced African characters in a reprint of that one Tintin comic.

Reactions: Jussi and DaaaaB's

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and the works of Roald Dahl is not "Some of the greatest novels ever written". ...
I could post dozens of awards, quotes, and links that would make you look silly. If you actually knew anything about literature you would know that Dahl is considered one of the goats of children's literature. You should have written "The works of Roald Dahl ARE not". Good luck in your classes.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
i'm not sure what the first words were considered as not pc.

this movement was given an inch when objections were lodged against the word Pejorative Slur. another inch was given for the word Homophobic Slur. i dunno - personally i like cigarettes myself, despite having to give them up as they were wrecking my health. i miss them.

many words and inches since Pejorative Slur has been considered unacceptable to say up to this point has now accumulated to at least a mile. to those who do not have a general understanding of how history works it's like this: keep giving inches away to movements like these eventually add to an insurmountable amount. and there's no compromise with these bastards - no inches will be given back.

Seedtype

Aug 16, 2009
Ohio?!?!
I feel like the issue is copyrights go on for far too long. Of course any modern changes to a classic are going to come across as lame. But hey his family estate wants to continue to make money off his works. /Shrug

It's a marketing decision, just vote with your wallet.

Now, if they are going around and burning all the old version of the works in libraries or the internet or whatever, that is problematic.

Any classic work should fade away into history, but be preserved so we can look and learn from what came before.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Nothing about this is new. Just look at the titles Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None were published under.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Comparing the word fat to the N word lmao what an awful take.

Editing old content is dumb. Times change, and I think its important to remember that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This reminds me of the ending of Thank you for Smoking when the Senator moves to “modernize” old movies to edit out cigarettes from the actors/actresses hands

SMH

Reactions: x Tame Impala

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
It's a trickier question than it looks at first glance, but 99% of the time the answer is no. But I can see why Agatha Christie's publisher wanted to change that title.

I disagree with changes to the Bible, though. By modernising it, it can make the Bible appear more relevant to people today. Leave it in its ridiculous ancient version (or as close as you can get as there is no "original version" left) so people can get a clear idea of what a load of bollocks it is that they are believing. Of course, they should have figured that out already, but maybe an additional nudge would help.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I disagree with changes to the Bible, though. By modernising it, it can make the Bible appear more relevant to people today. Leave it in its ridiculous ancient version (or as close as you can get as there is no "original version" left) so people can get a clear idea of what a load of bollocks it is that they are believing. Of course, they should have figured that out already, but maybe an additional nudge would help.
Yep, bingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad