Should the Caps strip Ovechkin of the C if they get bounced by the 8th seed Leafs?

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
If you think the Capitals' only consistent playoff performer is the problem, perhaps you think the three little pigs should have abandoned the house made of brick.

Yes, this thread is that stupid.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Can't believe people even still think the "C" matters. lol.

These are adult men getting paid to play a game they've played their whole lives. They don't need pump up speeches from their "captain".

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Can't believe people even still think the "C" matters. lol.

These are adult men getting paid to play a game they've played their whole lives. They don't need pump up speeches from their "captain".

Find a player or coach saying anything close to this. I dare you.

I'm not saying it is the be-all and end-all, or anything like that. But your comment is ridiculous. It matters to the players, I promise you that.

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
Find a player or coach saying anything close to this. I dare you.

I'm not saying it is the be-all and end-all, or anything like that. But your comment is ridiculous. It matters to the players, I promise you that.

Well sure, if a player or coach says the C doesn't matter, they're taking a direct shot at their own captain. Nobody would say that.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sure, strip him of the captaincy. You might as well Lorena Bobbitt him too while you're at it. Besides, where is the Dave Andreychuk type to save the day? Justin Williams?

The Caps need to figure out what their identity is, first and foremost. The current face of the franchise is more of a supporting cast member than headline act nowadays. This team is Braden Holtby's team under Trotz.

Either they go back to being Ovechkin's Caps, or they move on and build a Trotz team around Holtby.

Either they find their version of Mike Sullivan for Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and co., OR they hope Trotz-Holtby can be the next Sutter-Quick.

The way I see them, they are caught in between identities right now.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Backstrom is a top 10 player in this league. He's a hall of famer. Many coaches would probably take the center over the winger.

Ovie actually looks like he plays with emotion and like he wants it out there. He's playing physical. Backstrom? This guy looks like he just wants the season to end. No pulse. Can't elevate his game at all.

Bäckström is not a HOFer. He's Pierre Turgeon.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Sure, strip him of the captaincy. You might as well Lorena Bobbitt him too while you're at it. Besides, where is the Dave Andreychuk type to save the day? Justin Williams?

The Caps need to figure out what their identity is, first and foremost. The current face of the franchise is more of a supporting cast member than headline act nowadays. This team is Braden Holtby's team under Trotz.

Either they go back to being Ovechkin's Caps, or they move on and build a Trotz team around Holtby.

Either they find their version of Mike Sullivan for Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov and co., OR they hope Trotz-Holtby can be the next Sutter-Quick.

The way I see them, they are caught in between identities right now.

What are you talking about? They are pretty clearly already "Braden Holtby's team." They were the top defensive team in the regular season, with a stacked defense and a defensive minded coach. What more do you want them to do to prove they are Holtby's team? Trade away their top offensive player?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
There is a lot of parity in the NHL. The Leafs have been as good as anyone in the East since New Years.

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
two options

1) Complete tear down. How far does this go? Not sure cuz the only consistent pieces since the start of their 2010 embarrassment era are Ovi, Backstrom, Carlsson and Alzner. The others have joined the team at different spots so would trading Oshie or Holtby really change the culture?

If they do rebuild or retool, I would go with as defensive a team as possible. Keep Ovi (even though he is a shadow in the very far distance of what he was from 07-10) and Holtby, trade Oshie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov for elite defensemen and round out the forwards with defensive minded guys who can put the puck in the net the odd time.

Why? Because that is the team that Trotz is comfortable with. Defense is his specialty.

2) Fire Trotz and the coaching carousel continues. The best option out there? Darrly Sutter. If there is any problem with the players due to lack of accountability. Boy oh boy thats your guy. He is second only to Torts in that regard.

in 2009-2011, they were a team that was not built to win and was very top heavy so those upsets were possible because the team was flawed. But from 2012-2014 the Caps were not contenders. Then when they gave up that 3-1 lead to a better Rangers team, for some reason the Caps were blamed with another choke job. Like come on, that Rangers team was the presidents trophy winner. Then after losing in a heavy weight bout versus Pittsburgh, the loser label was amplified, but how can you be called a choker if you lose to the champion in 6 games?

My thoughts: the loses in 2009-2011 were by teams that were flawed for cup champions so were vulnerable to be upset and because they were upset those years they were labelled as chokers. But this team is not fundamentally flawed and I think at this point it is just in their heads. I mean the air in that locker room must be tighter than a you know what. I think its all mental at this point. It also doesnt bode well that they are up against a sleeping giant in Toronto who is every bit as skilled in the top 6 as Washington, (and faster), but was being cast off to a 4 game sweep due to inexperience by the media.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they're going as far to remove the C from him they might aswell trade him. I don't know what stripping him of it would do.

Honest question: is trading him even in the cards right now? Like with the Olympics in the next year, would many teams trade for him with the very real risk he just bolts for the KHL to play in the Olympics? I don't think he'll do that as long as he stays on the Capitals, but if he gets traded somewhere else, I could totally see him leaving a place he has no emotional attachment to in order to go for a gold medal.

Lindros_for_rizzle_

Oct 20, 2005
Toronto have the best passing game of any team in the playoffs thus far. Their cup window most likely already opens next year. Gardiner is looking like he´s Wayne Gretzky or something, absolutely sick performance in these playoffs.

Caps have though way, way too easily been losing their heads when things have gone against them. There´s too little belief in what they do. If they can get pass this round they will have learnt a lot a lot, it would be the best education they could ask for.

Ovechkin is not the problem, at least judging by on-ice performance. Too many players showing too little. Johansson is garbage as usual. Backstrom is probably the biggest underperformer of them all, he looks stressed unfortunately.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yeah it's definitely all Ovechkin's fault. That scrub completely disappears come playoffs :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad