Should the Caps strip Ovechkin of the C if they get bounced by the 8th seed Leafs?

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Kind of feels like a an insult to the Leaf. Seeding means nothing, ask the LA Kings. Should everyone have fired their Captain the year they won the cup as an 8th seed?

Yes. All 4 teams they beat should have demoted their captains. And fired their head coaches. And fired their GM. And replaced their executive vice presidents. Non-negotiable. The capitals might lose in the playoffs? That is absolutely disgraceful. The last thing they want to do is make the same mistake the Red Wings made in the early-mid 90s and stay the course. Yzerman should've been stripped of his C by 1993, and their staff should have been scorched earth'd.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Yes, and make Oshie the captain because I like him more and no other reason.

Good, some common sense here to compliment the thread OP.

It's like how Detroit should have made Kris Draper captain in 1993 since that team was such a choke artist factory.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Yup, I agree. He is unforgivable. Him and Yzerman are black stains in the history books of failure stories.

Posting this in a snarky way is pretty funny given that Yzerman actually had to adjust his game and win a Cup before he was redeemed. Ovechkin hasn't even been to the conference finals..

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Posting this in a snarky way is pretty funny given that Yzerman actually had to adjust his game and win a Cup before he was redeemed. Ovechkin hasn't even been to the conference finals..

Or you know the team around him just got filled with all stars and he wasn't riding solo anymore

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I imagine that Thornton himself preferred not to be captain anymore since he had become a lightning rod for criticism because of his team's failures. I don't think that is going on with Ovechkin.

Personally I think it's always overrated. Thornton was always great in the playoffs, and stripping him of the C didn't help the Sharks. If anything, it hurt them that one season. They got some more legs on their core by some young players emerging, and finding some players like Jones and Martin. Maybe the coaching change helped things too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad