Boston Bruins Should the Bruins raise #40 to the rafters

Should the Bruins retire #40 for Tuukka Rask?

• Total voters

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
So because the team was better built and a more complete unit, that's a demerit against Thomas all of a sudden? The Conn Smythe winner of the Bruins cup team? Are you high?

I don't think getting a sub 2 goals against average throughout the playoffs along with a 940 save percentage, first guy since Bernie Parent to do so in the playoffs, means Thomas was a passenger on that Cup team dude. I think it says he had a lot to do with bailing the Bruins out of tough series. I remember more often than not Thomas throwing his body in front of slapshots to prevent goals and keep the Bruins in nail biters. A lot more than Rask did.

Also if Thomas was just a passenger on a well built team, then why couldn't Rask duplicate that kind of run against the Blackhawks in 2013 with virtually the same team? Fact of the matter is that Thomas played his ass off in net and when the team needed him to go into another gear, he delivered. That's just facts. Not a knock on Rask, because Thomas played by the seat of his pants and was a wild man in net while Tuuks was more even keel. It's just that the even keel nature of Rask didn't translate for the Bruins in the playoffs.

No I never once said or even implied that Tim Thomas having a significantly better team around him was a detriment against Thomas. You said Tuukka shouldn’t get his jersey retired because he doesn’t have a cup like Thomas does. However you can’t compare the two. Tuukka never had the team around him Thomas does.

The only detriment Thomas has is that he was only the starting goaltender for 6 seasons. You don’t get your jersey retired for a cup of tea with the team.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Thomas was around for more than a cup of tea.

His story is the stuff of fairy tales.
They just made a movie about Kurt Warner.
They could do the same about Thomas.

Rask had just as strong of teams around him.

The Bruins as an organization historically have not retired goaltender’s numbers.

So it’s a “no” from me for a combination of factors.
Can’t unretire the #s already up there, but the threshold is higher now than it was during the lean years.

37 and 33 are the only certainties as far as I’m concerned.

Had they won multiple Cups, there would be a stronger case for the next tier of guys.

You think about those 70s teams, and they at least won two Cups and it’s still just Orr, Espo, and Bucyk.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
A few others like Thomas first. Then Rask. His case is very strong as well.

Bourque Chara McAvoy
Thomas Rask Swayman?

Lucky Bruins fans.

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
If no goalie has their number retired for this team, we shouldn't start with Rask. If other goalies get their number retired, then Rask. I would prefer the team unretire numbers actually.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Honestly I'm not a big fan of number retirements. There are only so many numbers a team can give out. And the more you have in the rafters, the less special it begins to feel. Was it Larry Bird who said he used to look up at Orr's number before every game? That should be reserved for the unique/exceptional tier. Unfortunately the waters have already been muddied in that regard so it makes decisions harder these days.

For me, 33 and 37 are the only ones in that unique/exceptional tier from the 2011 core. Chara turned around the franchise. Bergeron is the best defensive forward of his generation. I think it will be a long time before you see two players like them again. The fact that the Bruins had them at the same time for so many years is pretty amazing.

Tuukka has the stats. He was a fantastic goalie and yes I think very underrated by a lot of Bruins fans. But he would be in line behind 33 and 37 in my book.

Count me in the "create a Bruins Hall of Fame" group. From 2011 core, I put in 33, 37, 40, 46, 63, no problem. And Thomas of course. Honors their achievements appropriately.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Retiring a goalie's number has always been problematic with the old guard NHL

Into the 60's EVERY goalie wore #1

When you look at Bruins history the goalies that should be considered are

Tiny Thompson - Won SC 1929

3813016.jpg

Frank Brimsek - Won SC 1939-1941

Brimsek__Frank_MR._ZERO_-_1973_large.jpeg

Gerry Cheevers - Won SC 1970-1972

a936736b04640e3804a337e689d9930a.jpg

Tim Thomas - WON SC 2011

GettyImages-142297271-e1543432103812-1024x683.jpg

These 4 need to be honored before you even consider Tuukka.

I believe that any player whose number is retired should also be in the Hockey Hall of Fame but the Bruins have retired the numbers of Terry O'Reilly and Rick Middleton who are not honored in Toronto.

Montreal has a 'Ring of Honor' that celebrates players whose numbers have not been retired.

My wish is for the Bruins to establish a Bruins Hall of Fame in 2024 when the franchise turns 100.

I know Sinden politics are involved in who gets honored ( O'Reilly and Middleton) and who doesn't (Cheevers) - Harry also made sure the HHoF would not honor Pat Burns while he was alive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad