Should team accomplishments ever be considered when inducting a player into the HHOF?

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Thoughts?

only to a point.
not winning a cup isn't a big deal. see Dionne.

but you play on the oilers of the last 10 years, and it sure wouldn't help your case.
If you're good enough to be in the hall of fame and supposedly one of the best of all time, you'd think you'd make your team better. at least be in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Conn Smythes are hard to ignore and only available to the select few who were on great teams, but I think a player who spends their entire career with one team in a meaningful way (Shane Doan) should be considered ahead of someone with lots of team hardware (Justin Williams) despite similar types of numbers.

Huokaus

Oct 29, 2010
Conn Smythes are hard to ignore and only available to the select few who were on great teams, but I think a player who spends their entire career with one team in a meaningful way (Shane Doan) should be considered ahead of someone with lots of team hardware (Justin Williams) despite similar types of numbers.
Conn Smythe isn't (fully) a team accomplishment though. You have to have a good enough team to reach the Stanley Cup finals, but you still personally have to be one of the key factors why that team made it there. Those are interesting (not sarcastic) couple of players you chose for sure though. Justin Williams would never be in any kinds of HoF talks if it wasn't for his playoff heroics and cups, but I don't think Doan would be any more qualified just because of sticking with one team and being a good player for them - absolutely qualifies him for his jersey being retired by the team etc., but not necessarily for the HoF. Same with someone like Marleau.

As for the main question: it simply does look better in your résumé if your team has won trophies/championships (whether it was internationally or in the leagues you've played). If nothing else, it means you have been good enough to play in the "best team". Most preferably people should look at the role and stats/games though. If a player been absolute dead weight for great teams that have won cups, of course it's not as important as being a good contributor throughout the team's runs.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Players worthy of making the HOF will normally contribute to team success. So it's not necessarily that team success should be considered, rather it's often that when you look at the achievements of a hall of fame career player, it usually already includes some measure of team success.

But no. Merely being part of a successful team isn't good enough to get you into the Hall, nor should it. Obviously no to Claude Lemieux, no to Kris Draper, no to Justin Williams.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Having a cup or two should not push a player without an individual resume befitting of the Hall into it.

And not having any cups at all should not push a player with an individual resume befitting of the Hall out of it.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Having a cup or two should not push a player without an individual resume befitting of the Hall into it.

And not having any cups at all should not push a player with an individual resume befitting of the Hall of of it.

... That's true. Unless there's reason to believe a player is actually significantly better than his individual resume DUE TO, well, Cups.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Yes.

Hockey is a team sport. The ultimate goal in every league or tournament is a team achievement.

They should obviously be considered with context however, ie, how significant a role did the player in question play toward the ultimate team goal.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
only to a point.

but you play on the oilers of the last 10 years, and it sure wouldn't help your case.
If you're good enough to be in the hall of fame and supposedly one of the best of all time, you'd think you'd make your team better. at least be in the playoffs on a consistent basis.

A team has 19 players used in a game (20 if the backup goalie is used) and a single player outside of a goalie or a overworked defenseman is off the ice for more then half a game only so much a single player can do. Imagine someone better then Gretzky plays for a team with worse ownership,management,drafting,coaching and so then the Oilers had and he is loyal to the team that drafted him not leaving them. He could be out of the playoffs a lot. Team success in hockey shouldn't be used to judge a player so much it should be how good the player is when on the ice.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Anyone straight up saying yes is now saying Chris Osgood has a good chance to be in the HHOF. Just think about that.

Ishdul

Jan 20, 2007
They are. I'd like to see less of it since I feel like many of the weakest inductions were guys getting in as good but not great players on great teams.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
They are. I'd like to see less of it since I feel like many of the weakest inductions were guys getting in as good but not great players on great teams.

Like who? Clark Gillies is the last one who comes to mind. Everyone else seems to have earned it with their own personal accomplishments.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
I feel if them having team accomplishments makes or breaks their chances at the HOF, then it shouldn't really be on the critiera.

People put way to much stock on team awards to reflect an individual's career. Sure it looks good and adds to legacy, but you still need a solid team around you to make it the cup. There is a reason why Gretzky never won a cup after Edmonton. That's how much it doesn't fall on an individual, when the GOAT can't even get a lesser team to a championship. Should that be held against him? No.

Yes.

Hockey is a team sport. The ultimate goal in every league or tournament is a team achievement.

They should obviously be considered with context however, ie, how significant a role did the player in question play toward the ultimate team goal.

You say it's a team sport and a team achievement, yet then question the value of said player he had to winning a championship...

You need your high powered first liners as much as your checking forwards, don't you? You need the depth just as much as you need the scoring, don't you? So why is it that you seem to think that a cup winning roster should be categorized by how important each member was the cup win....when it's an overall team effort anyway?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Depends on whether the player drove the bus or rode shotgun.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
only to a point.

I agree with this. Of course they mean something, but you really have look put team achievements into context when you're assessing a career or comparing players. Personally I think individual accomplishments should mostly determine who gets into the hall.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
You say it's a team sport and a team achievement, yet then question the value of said player he had to winning a championship...

You need your high powered first liners as much as your checking forwards, don't you? You need the depth just as much as you need the scoring, don't you? So why is it that you seem to think that a cup winning roster should be categorized by how important each member was the cup win....when it's an overall team effort anyway?

Because Darren McCarty doesn't score that big goal without first being teammates with Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanny.

Satastic

Nazi punks **** off
Sep 12, 2014
Riverbank, CA
They should be considered, but not the end all be all. Someone not winning a cup shouldn't negate their career if it's worthy of it.

kaiser matias

Mar 22, 2004
Like who? Clark Gillies is the last one who comes to mind. Everyone else seems to have earned it with their own personal accomplishments.

Joe Nieuwendyk could arguably fit that same criteria. I say arguably because he still has a case, but feel it was bolstered by winning the Cup on three different teams.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Joe Nieuwendyk could arguably fit that same criteria. I say arguably because he still has a case, but feel it was bolstered by winning the Cup on three different teams.

Nieuwendyk was borderline enough, but not only did he win 3 cups on 3 teams, but he also won the Conn Smythe, which I would consider a personal achievement.

I also thought of Glenn Anderson. He might not strike you as that typical HOFer, but not only did he win 6 cups, he is also one of the highest playoff scoring leaders of all time. 200 playoff points. I'd consider that a personal achievement too.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Problem with justifying whether or not a player should be inducted by looking just at awards is that they can be extremely misleading. Just evaluate him play, look at his effectiveness and longevity/consistency etc. It's the best way to judge someone, there's plenty of garbage players with multiple cups. And then there's plenty of superstar/HOFers with no cups. You gotta evaluate each player individually and awards alone are never accurate depictions of how good/bad someone is.

GreatGonzo

Surrounded by Snowflakes
May 26, 2011
South Of the Tank
Because Darren McCarty doesn't score that big goal without first being teammates with Yzerman, Fedorov, and Shanny.

Yet the grind line was a huge part of that teams success in the playoffs. You need those kinds of players for a cup run. You could say Yzerman doesn't have 3 cups and the legacy as a leader that he has without the TEAM that surrounded him.

My point is the Stanley cup takes more of a team effort than people want to believe. A single individual doesn't hold more value than the many other factors that are needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad