WJC: Should taxi squads be allowed at the WJC?

RangerRed

Jan 23, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
I'd be okay with it if it was a) kept small and b) stipulated to that they had to get into at least one game.

So, if it was just one forward and one defender, I'd be okay with it.

Schenn Him

Mar 19, 2008
SK
thehamiltonian.wordpress.com
This is the only year it has been a major issue for more than one team, and without knowing how long players will be out for - its not a sure thing that it will be a hardship to teams, yet.

They already have an extra forward and d-man. With Canada, its being amplified a bit because of the suspension to Kassian, which skews the discussion a little bit.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'd be OK with two forwards, one dman, and one goalie as a taxi squad to be used in case of injuries and suspensions. Anything more then that is overkill IMO. This year is just freaky due to the amount of injuries to this point.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
they already take 20 skaters and goalies can be replaced if there is an injury. No need to add more to that.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
I would say that two extra players allowed to replace another one. However, in this case the replaced player may not return, but he will get medal if his team gets one.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I would say that two extra players allowed to replace another one. However, in this case the replaced player may not return, but he will get medal if his team gets one.

I would say no. Teams ice 13 forwards and 7 Dman (generally). So, each team can afford to lose 1 player at each of those positions. This is a 6 or 7 game tournament. Really don't expect to lose 3 guys at any position.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I have no problem with one taxi player for each position, or even two forwards, but they can only see action in the event of an injury. Suspended players wouldn't be replaced. They'd also have to make the rules extremely clear, unlike at the Olympics where there was confusion as to who can be replaced and a double standard was present where some teams were allowed to replace/remove uninjured players at the last minute while others were not.

Last edited:

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
Someone made a point about the medals: who would get the medal, the injured player or the reserve player? It just wouldn't be fair to either player if one got it over the other. Unfortunately for Canada and the USA (injures are hurting them), you gotta play with what you brought.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
Someone made a point about the medals: who would get the medal, the injured player or the reserve player? It just wouldn't be fair to either player if one got it over the other. Unfortunately for Canada and the USA (injures are hurting them), you gotta play with what you brought.

I don't see how that's an issue. They'd both get one. That's what happens with substitutes that have seen action at the Olympics (in team sports), even if they don't play in the final. Same goes for the Stanley Cup - provided you've played enough regular season games or any time in the finals.

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
I don't see how that's an issue. They'd both get one. That's what happens with substitutes that have seen action at the Olympics (in team sports), even if they don't play in the final. Same goes for the Stanley Cup - provided you've played enough regular season games or any time in the finals.

I don't know what goes on in International Competition but I assume that they would only bring enough medals for the players and the 4-6 staff members. As opposed to winning the SC, they only receive their rings/mini cup replicas later on in the year.

I'm deviating from the original topic, I know, but people would still abuse the system like faking an injury just to get a star player who wasn't released from the NHL team at first who could eventually get there. Example, say Sweden asks the 7th defensemen, to "sit out" just so they can bring in OEL, who wasn't released by PHX but decides to let him go to the tourney so he can play less game, thus avoiding injury. I use SWE because they are the only country that comes to mind that are missing 3-4 key player as opposed to Canada's 8-10, which would be chaotic to get into.

I really believe that you gotta play with what you have. The staff decided these players were the best to suit up for their countries and if they got hurt/suspended then they gotta live with it and not use it as an excuse as to why they didn't medal.

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I am guessing this refers to Slovakia - I wouldn't think taxi squads would be allowed for suspensions in any case.

Also - its getting a lot of attention this year because it is Canada with the injury problems. I am sure there are other years where teams have been short and just sucked it up.

Yes, however when you have two suspended players at the same position and one more gets injured you´re pretty much doomed- I was talking about Jaborník not finishing the game against the US due to a knee injury (though he should be okay now and play the Swiss).

slovakiasnextone

Jul 7, 2008
Slovakia
I don't know what goes on in International Competition but I assume that they would only bring enough medals for the players and the 4-6 staff members. As opposed to winning the SC, they only receive their rings/mini cup replicas later on in the year.

I'm deviating from the original topic, I know, but people would still abuse the system like faking an injury just to get a star player who wasn't released from the NHL team at first who could eventually get there. Example, say Sweden asks the 7th defensemen, to "sit out" just so they can bring in OEL, who wasn't released by PHX but decides to let him go to the tourney so he can play less game, thus avoiding injury. I use SWE because they are the only country that comes to mind that are missing 3-4 key player as opposed to Canada's 8-10, which would be chaotic to get into.

I really believe that you gotta play with what you have. The staff decided these players were the best to suit up for their countries and if they got hurt/suspended then they gotta live with it and not use it as an excuse as to why they didn't medal.

If taxi squads were allowed they would have to have enough medals prepared for the players on the roster+the taxi squad players+the staff. I don´t think it would be a problem, IMO at the WHC when an Euro player plays early in the tourney and then gets replaced by a player from the NHL (when eliminated from the NHL play-offs) before the play-off round, both get the medals in the end.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
suspensions dont count. Team has to pay for undisciplined players.
Or players who get wrongfully called.

Even if the Kassian hit was illegal (debatable), if the refs make a horrible call on anyone and kick them from the game - they're getting a suspension whether it's clean or not. Lame.

nafsregnar27

Jul 31, 2010
Central California
If taxi squads were allowed they would have to have enough medals prepared for the players on the roster+the taxi squad players+the staff. I don´t think it would be a problem, IMO at the WHC when an Euro player plays early in the tourney and then gets replaced by a player from the NHL (when eliminated from the NHL play-offs) before the play-off round, both get the medals in the end.

Yeah I know. I was referring to this tournament though, since this year there seems to be a lot of injuries/suspension going on and it's not even halfway through the tournie.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Can't see it happening as it would really benefit Canada, who has the most depth by far to chose from.

ORYX

Mar 2, 2008
Time Keep, While I agree that taxi squads shouldnt be used, the example you have given to illustrate your point has many flaws.

Why would a team be punished for having "More" talent to draw from? Is this not a competition where teams with the most talent typically win or do well? Isn't that the point of competition, to bring your best and beat the rest?

saying that this reason would be a strike against the taxi squad idea a little far fetched, why doesnt the IIHF just start limiting Canada on the number of first round drafted players it can bring?

Moving on, I believe the Taxi squad isn't needed. Teams have 13 forwards for a reason, and 7 defensemen for a reason. Also, an injured goalie is allowed to be replaced.

The examples given to prove that a taxi squad would be a good addition to the tournament are compounded by the undisciplined play of some teams players. Canada only has one injury that will sit out the remainder of the tournament in Schwartz, Kassian is sitting cause of suspension - thus his own doing, the team should have to deal with the consequence of that. Same goes fro Slovakia? who has two suspended players and one injury. The only reason players like de Haan and Eakin sat out for Canada last game was because it was against an inferior opponent, they simply were not needed, and given their 'banged-up, but good enough to play' status, might as well give them rest if they werent going to be needed.

Taxi squad at the tournament like this is 100% unneccessary. In the event that a team has a catastrophic number of injuries and cannot field a team I am sure the IIHF will step in and make a ruling that allows them to bring in another player or two.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I would say no. This tournament is already unbalanced enough from a talent standpoint, and a taxi squad would only serve to give the deeper nations (especially Canada, the US, Russia, and Sweden) an even bigger advantage. I think the WJC would benefit from more competitive balance, so why change an existing rule just to make things even more competitively imbalanced?

magic school bus

Jun 4, 2010
San Jose, CA
they shouldnt get help, because Kassian got suspended. so what if u have to ice 12 top-6 forwards instead of 13? the system is fine. suspensions are supposed to hurt teams. they already have an extra forward and defenseman. so unless some freak flu wipes out half a team, then i see no need for extra players in a taxi squad.

jughead42*

I don't think taxi squads are needed. The tournament isn't that long, and it would be a shame to keep guys around missing games with their club teams just to be ready. Injuries test the depth of a team and its part of what makes a champion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad