Should Should Bruce McNall be in hall of fame as a builder?

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Interesting question. He was a fraud and a crook but he changed the entire landscape of the NHL. As much as I hate him, being an Oilers fan, I’d have to say yes.

Reactions: Dean Char

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
An owner nobody talks about as a candidate but if you think about it absolutely belongs in as one of the biggest heroes in hockey history: Tom Golisano. In the wake of the Adelphia collapse the Sabres were on their deathbed and the plug was about to be pulled when Golisano showed up and saved the team. There were good points and bad points of his tenure but this fact cannot be denied: If not for him there would be no Buffalo Sabres.

Reactions: Dean Char

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
I started watching hockey in '88 because of the trade and I say absolutely not. The Kings ended up in bankruptcy and went 7 years without winning a playoff game because of McNall. Also, while McNall sealed the deal on the trade, it was Jerry Buss that actually got the ball rolling. In '85 he offered Pocklington $15 million for Gretzky. When he was finally ready to deal, Pocklington contacted McNall to see if that offer was still on the table and they negotiated from there. If Buss never sold to McNall, the Kings would have been much better off.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
While he used the kings as a pawn to pull some his scams. What NHL laws did he break

Unlike Alan Eagelson who ripped off the players, I believe he actually paid people in the nhl what they were suppose to get. I could be wrong.

Also, I believe Peter Pocklington is in the hall as a builder so they already have a former owner who is a convicted felon in

Reactions: Voight

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
While he used the kings as a pawn to pull some his scams. What NHL laws did he break

Unlike Alan Eagelson who ripped off the players, I believe he actually paid people in the nhl what they were suppose to get. I could be wrong.

Also, I believe Peter Pocklington is in the hall as a builder so they already have a former owner who is a convicted felon in

Harold Ballard, too.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
If the owner in Edmonton isn't strapped for cash, we never know who McNall is. It's by luck and circumstance Gretzky ended up in LA.

And...his teams never won a cup.

But this is a league that has enshrined the likes of Ballard and Jacobs in the Hall.

So there's a good chance McNall does get enshrined.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
One thing in his favour is he bought the Kings with actual financing and it was only after that he started pulling scams.

I think enough time has elapsed that people kind of forgot about what happened; i.e. before this thread I cant remember the last time his past was brought up.

HHOF is ran by the OBC so depends if they are willing to forgive and forget. I bet if Gretz vouched for him he'd be in shortly.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
As a Kings fan I’d say no, he shouldn’t He did a huge amount that was positive but he badly damaged what he had built in LA. I am a bit mixed on it but the way it ended makes him a no for me. That said, I do not have a say and I think he eventually gets in.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Honestly I don't think making the Hall of Fame is some prestigious honor anymore.

Dad and kid go to visit the Hall exhibit.

Dad: Look son. Here's Nick Lidstrom. He won 7 Norris trophies and is a concensus top five Defenceman ever.

Son: I know Dad. We talked about him. Who is this man over here Dad? I don't remember him

Dad: That's Kevin Lowe

Son: What did he accomplish

Dad: Well he won six cups on a dynasty as a stay at home defenceman.

Son: So did he win Norris trophies and make lots of All Star Teams like Lidstrom?

Dad: No son.

Son: Oh....

Dad: But Lowe was buddies with Hockey Canada. Oh hey let's look over here. It's Phil Housley!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad