Should Sens Sign Hartnell

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Should the Sens sign Scott Hartnell to be a mentor to B. Tkachuk?

Hartnell knows the pressure of being a hight draft pick not unlike Brady.

Hartnell understands what it takes to develop into a good power forward- something Tkachuk hopes to do.

Scott would be able to protect Brady for his first year in the NHL.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Didn't Dorion say we were going to be faster and younger this year?

I feel like trading Hoffman and signing Hartnell would have the opposite effect.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
Hartnell could even play wing on Logan Brown's line.

Brown has been criticized for a lack of intensity & effort in his game.

A veteran like Hartnell who plays with intensity may be able to help Brown's game.

Hartnell's contract offer would likely only be a one year- 1 million dollar deal.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
You forgot the most important question. Is Hartnell able to play at an NHL level? Nope.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I had given some thought to offering Hartnell a contract and I think the answer is no. Currently, Scott Hartnell, Troy Brouwer and Chris Stewart are all on the market and I have thought about for a while whether it would be worthwhile to sign any of them or give them a camp invite.

I think part of the problem is trying to figure out what the purpose of this season is and how to move the organization forward in the best direction. Looking at the forward group there are only two core players in Mark Stone and Matt Duchene. Pageau and Dzingel may or may not be good long term pieces so it is hard to determine whether they should be part of the core or whether they are expendable as part of this rebuild. The rest of the forward group in Gaborik, Ryan, Smith and Pyatt is basically dead weight; they will stick around for a little while longer but they aren't core pieces. Hartnell, Brouwer and Stewart are all kind of like that as well; they could be useful for a season or so but they aren't core pieces.

Given that Stone and Duchene are the only core forwards, it makes sense to build the rest of the core around the prospects. Now it is highly debatable about whether it makes sense long term to give a bunch of prospects NHL roles this season, but it is still worth discussing. To me, the current forward core in the prospect group is Brady Tkachuk, Colin White, Logan Brown, Drake Batherson and Alex Formenton. The next group that might be part of the core but I am less sure about are Nick Paul, Filip Chlapik, Gabriel Gagne and possibly Adam Tambellini. I included Tambellini because he is still pretty young and with his size, speed and shot he could be a valuable piece moving forward.

Formenton will get sent back to the OHL if he doesn't make the team and the rest will get sent to the AHL. So part of the question is whether it is worthwhile to give a chance for a handful of Tkachuk, White, Brown, Batherson, Formenton, Paul, Chapik, Gagne and Tambellini to make the team or to fill out the rest of the roster will temporary pieces like Hartnell, Brouwer and Stewart. Maybe if the Sens move one of Gaborik, Ryan, Smith or Pyatt, otherwise it is just delaying the core from being built and getting experience playing together in the NHL.

If we had our first round pick this year then it could have made sense to fill out the roster with temporary pieces, but otherwise to create some excitement for the fans and to build for the future it might be best to give more prospects a shot.

Reactions: cj19

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Who gives a shit. Not like we have any direction anyway. Maybe they should sign a bunch of GEEZERS and have a Geriatric team. Hartnell, Jagr, and any other oldie

Reactions: robsenz

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Not if he's considering retirement. If he was still willing to play I'd say we sign him as a mentor to our younger players.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Hartnell could even play wing on Logan Brown's line.

Brown has been criticized for a lack of intensity & effort in his game.

A veteran like Hartnell who plays with intensity may be able to help Brown's game.

Hartnell's contract offer would likely only be a one year- 1 million dollar deal.
Even Burrows thinks this is a bad idea.

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
with my first glance at the thread title I thought we actually signed Hartnell for a moment. thanks for the near-heart attack. I liked him as a player but he's beyond done now

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This would be like signing a slower version of Burrows. Hartnell's best days of hockey are long gone.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Didn't Dorion say we were going to be faster and younger this year?

I feel like trading Hoffman and signing Hartnell would have the opposite effect.
Yes.

Because Dorion said something about getting veterans.

Although truth be told Scott is way past it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad