Should Refs hold post game interviews?

Should Refs hold post game interviews?

• Total voters

Michael HOMERUNing

Feb 24, 2019
I mean... any NHL ref's post game interview would be infinitely more interesting than 99% of player interviews.
It doesn't matter though. The refs aren't the people whom everyone watches the games for. And I'm sure these referees would be trained in what to say just as the players have been

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
No, they're there to officiate the game, not to be the center off attention. Do you really want some goof like Steve Simmons pestering referees with his idiocy? The officials should be held accountable, but not by the mob.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
No, zero interest in hearing refs talk after a game. I can’t think of any major sport who has their refs interviewed after a game to answer questions.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What did you see on that questionable hooking call?

R: Which one?

The one in the 2nd period that was on player X.

R: There's a lot of potential hooks in the game.. not sure if i remember the play exactly but i guess i saw the stick come up on the hands.

So what about the non-call in the 3rd period? Was that game management?

R: No. If there was an infraction we just missed it.

Player X looked pretty heated all game and you two had some conversations, what did you talk about?

R: What happens on the ice stays on the ice.

Lmao.. i don't think these interviews would go the way you think. If you expect the refs to open up and explain their every decision or take responsibility for bad calls you'll be disappointed.

I couldn't care less. Maybe there'd be a few entertaining moments in the season when they have a moment of honesty but 99% of the time it's just ammunition for reporters to ask their annoying ass questions and for the refs to answer with the same lines.

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
What did you see on that questionable hooking call?

R: Which one?

The one in the 2nd period that was on player X.

R: There's a lot of potential hooks in the game.. not sure if i remember the play exactly but i guess i saw the stick come up on the hands.

So what about the non-call in the 3rd period? Was that game management?

R: No. If there was an infraction we just missed it.

Player X looked pretty heated all game and you two had some conversations, what did you talk about?

R: What happens on the ice stays on the ice.

Lmao.. i don't think these interviews would go the way you think. If you expect the refs to open up and explain their every decision or take responsibility for bad calls you'll be disappointed.

I couldn't care less. Maybe there'd be a few entertaining moments in the season when they have a moment of honesty but 99% of the time it's just ammunition for reporters to ask their annoying ass questions and for the refs to answer with the same lines.
That's actually a good point. Less dead air time.

I do however think they need to lift the fine for criticizing refs. Accountability.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
"Tell us about that amazing game you reffed and how you got every call right!" -- no journalist ever

Nobody cares about refs when they do their job well. Interviews only happen when they screw up. The concept is a non-starter.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
How about the fan base they screw over gets to give them the Gomer Pyle treatment after the game.

FA0CCA5B-3C1D-4099-8A59-25231FAD65C6.gif

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Why shouldn’t they?

Because their income has virtually no connection to that of the league or their benefactors in regards to media deals. The refs largely aren’t making extra money from media sources and vice-versa, so why would they be interviewed? Accountability isn’t about some guy from newsday or whatever posing a loaded question for the sake of clicks. If there is going to be a major change in reffing, it will come from a concerted effort from the NHLPA, assuming their own non-player constituents aren’t tangentially involved in the current refereeing scheme posed by the NHL.

Reactions: Declassified

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
Refs should be invisible most of the game. Do your job, drop the puck, call penalties, and if your not sure ask the toronto office to make sure you got the call right, all the tools are there already.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
YES!

Especially in the playoffs. I'd like outcome of the game be decided by the players on ice NOT the refs

Puts more pressure on them to directly face questions and not F up in the games.

ACCOUNTABILITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
its not accountability, its giving the refs a spotlight to develop a character and grow bigger than a ref. Its a terrible idea and refs won't say much of anything anyway, just the players, it'll be a waste of time and no do anything but give refs a chance gain stardom and make waves when refs should be invisible and quite frankly we shouldn't even know their names. ref accountibily comes from the union, the teams and players. the refs do need to answer from the media, its not their job.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Because their income has virtually no connection to that of the league or their benefactors in regards to media deals. The refs largely aren’t making extra money from media sources and vice-versa, so why would they be interviewed? Accountability isn’t about some guy from newsday or whatever posing a loaded question for the sake of clicks. If there is going to be a major change in reffing, it will come from a concerted effort from the NHLPA, assuming their own non-player constituents aren’t tangentially involved in the current refereeing scheme posed by the NHL.

it likely is, I think the NHL likes and wants game management. its better for business than giving teams and fans ammo for crying about reffing when team gets 10 PP and no PK because one team is playing dirty and the other isn't.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Forum moderators: nervous laughter

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
No, of course. They'd tip-toe around every answer, as they should, and it would completely defeat the purpose of increased transparency. If you thought players gave canned answers, oh boy, would you be in for a treat with the refs!

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Refs shouldn't have to answer to the public, they only need to answer to the league (which they already do). If we require them to answer to questions from the public, then we're admitting that we have no faith in them and their work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad