WJC: Should players from professional leagues be allowed to play?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A case can be made that Canadian Jr players do get paid in some form to play junior hockey in Canada--via scholarships and a few other things. There is a reason why once a player plays junior hockey--he is considered a professional player NCAA
Somone told me Canadian players in the CHL get like $50 or $75 per game, which is nothing then the Junior players in Russia, Sweeden and etc are making.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Somone told me Canadian players in the CHL get like $50 or $75 per game, which is nothing then the Junior players in Russia, Sweeden and etc are making.

They get that amount in a week, maybe, but not per game. It's just a stipend for food, etc., not "pay".

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
No, I'd like to see the best players under 20 play in this tournament, pro or not. The NHL is starting to "steal" more and more of the elite talents away as it is, this would just make it worse.

The Saw Is the Law

Jul 31, 2010
It's good now. If you take professional league players away from Finland, Sweden and Russia the level of U20 tournament drops drastically. It would be Canada vs. USA. No chance for Europeans. When our chances are likely to zero we arent interested.

Do you really pay tickets to Sweden game which doesn't include players like Larsson, Erixon, Nemeth, Lander, Cehlin, Klingberg, Järnkrok... Finland without Armia, Pulkkinen, Granlund, Donskoi etc.

cangoaler33

Jan 17, 2011
Okay I am Canadian and even I think this is sore-losing. Canadians all want to play in the NHL, as do many Russians. But hockey players just want to play the best hockey they can. I don't want to step on any toes here but the NHL is without a doubt better and more skilled than the KHL. The same goes for the Swedish, Finnish, German leagues etc. If (almost) any member of Team Canada wanted to play there, they have the ability, just because they play in a "professional league" sooner does not mean they are individually better.
The tournament is the for the best U20 players in the world, regardless of where they play. Many players develop faster than European junior leagues can handle, so they have to move to pro for their own development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad