Should players be more wary of the contracts they sign?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I will be ten mill a year for the 8 years--and you would turn it down?

Teams need to be more careful in tossing these contracts around--ask LA

LA is leading their division and one of the top teams in the west and they have nearly 6 million available in cap space, more than enough for a significant addition. Come again?

PunkRockLocke

Jun 15, 2017
Pender Harbour
exact system as the NFL, sign a 60 million dollar contact, 23 million is guaranteed, if the player gets cut then the team owns them the remainder of the 23 million. good players get more guaranteed money.

It also can allows teams to give shoe me contacts like, 4 year 50 million, but 10 guaranteed, if that player shows up for 4 years they get paid, flop and you make only a 1/4 of that
In theory, I can't disagree with you.

But I think the last place anyone should be looking to for good business examples is the NFLPA. They get raped by the NFL

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In theory, I can't disagree with you.

But I think the last place anyone should be looking to for good business examples is the NFLPA. They get raped by the NFL
NFLPA keeps sacrificing its own. They threw the college kids under the bus with the 4 year rookie deal and then allowed teams to do an option on a 5th year for 1st round picks at the average of the top 20 contracts at that position.

So a guy like Bell from Pitt who plays the most physically punishing skilled position gets a 1 year deal at under $9 million. Pitt can franchise him again next season at probably under $11 million. He'll have been in the league 6 years. And with the RB position's best years being before 30, that leaves him maybe 3 years to get paid.

See if the PA is strong enough to limit all rookie deals to 3 years and remove the franchise tags. Everyone get to free agency asap and then its up to the player and their agent to get as much guaranteed money as possible.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Players are wary of the contracts they sign. It's what they are working for all their lives. What they pay agents to carefully negotiate in their best interest. What you're proposing is players being more wary of what a certain amount of people might think of them in case they aren't living up to the contracts their teams felt they earned. The answer to which obviously is "of course not".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad