Line Combos: Should Pettersson and Boeser play together 5on5 this year?

Should Pettersson and Boeser play together on the same line right from the start?

• Total voters

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Should Pettersson and Boeser play together 5on5 this year?

Although most people (and even the coaching staff) likely have

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Leipsic-Pettersson-Goldobin (or something similar)

I wonder if it would be in the Canucks’ best interests to play Petey Boy Pettersson (;)) and Boeser together right from the get go?

1) Future: In the future, it’s very likely that Pettersson and Boeser will be our best center and winger respectively, and so why not pair them together right away?

2) Balance: A good argument can be made that putting EP and B.B. together would create an imbalance in our line-up, but I think a good argument can also be made that Bo Horvat is currently our best player......and so perhaps Horvat playing away from EP and BB would create more balance.

3) Proven chemistry? Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen were actually quite good together in preseason 3 years ago. Yes - that was awhile back and it was only preseason, but why not give it a try?

4) Throwing to the wolves: I’m normally not a fan of throwing a prospect into the fire so to speak, but I think EP is ready NOW to play with Boeser. Let’s see what these two guys can do together. If EP can get up to speed fairly quickly here, then we could have the makings of a very good 1st line.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanuckCity

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I know a few guys will disagree with this, but I’m very interested in seeing:

Roussel-Pettersson-Boeser

Play together. Roussel has enough skill to be effective alongside Boeser and Pettersson, and also has enough sandpaper and grit to make up for EP’s slight frame. Roussel can also stick up for EP is opposing players take liberties. This is also one reason why I’m in favor of trying Roussel on that line instead of Leipsic.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Sure but with Horvat.

Gagner can centre Baertschi and Virtanen, just got the lols.

Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Gagner-Virtanen

I love that first line obviously, but I think you’d be asking too much from that 2nd line (which would actually be 3rd line calibre).

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
My thought is this:

IF (and this is a pretty big IF) Pettersson can emerge into an true #1 superstar center at some point during this year, then the Canucks forward group could be fairly respectable.

###-Pettersson-Boeser [SomeoneRidingShotGun-SuperstarCenter-SuperStarWinger]

Baertschi-Horvat-Virtanen/Eriksson [AverageSecondLiner-VeryGoodSecondLineCenter-Average2ndLiner...or if this is Virtanen, someone that can realistically grow into an AverageSecondLiner].

#####-Sutter-##### [Good3rdLineCenter]
#####-Beagle-####[Good4thLineCenter]

Our defense is still a massive tire fire, but IF the above can unfold this year, and IF Hughes and Juolevi can be factors next year, atleast in terms of being able to successfully transition the puck up ice, then I don't think playoffs are out of reach at all for 2019-2020.

I'm VERY interested to see what Pettersson does this year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No. You develop him as a C. In time, he’ll be the guy centering brock. Right now let Horvat do that.

This is a development year for the organization. It’s next season where Benning and Green could have their jobs on the line if there isn’t good production from a number of their current prospects like demko, Hughes, Juolevi, Gaudette, Dahlen, etc. At the NHL level.

Might as well get started on the experience for the kids at their respective positions. Play Pettersson and Gaudette at C.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
No.
Make sure Boeser gets going right from the start with Horvat.. reestablish that, then look to try a Perttsson-Boeser combo.

Pettersson needs to break in with some careful usage... We don't need to limit Boeser along side him. Let Pettersson adjust to NHL speed, work up his usage and ice time first then try if you need to.

X-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-x

then eventually, if needed..
X-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-X

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
No.
Make sure Boeser gets going right from the start with Horvat.. reestablish that, then look to try a Perttsson-Boeser combo.

Pettersson needs to break in with some careful usage... We don't need to limit Boeser along side him. Let Pettersson adjust to NHL speed, work up his usage and ice time first then try if you need to.

X-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-x

then eventually, if needed..
X-Pettersson-Boeser
Baertschi-Horvat-X

It depends on how well Pettersson plays. In the preseason so far he's been the best passer and best puck carrier on the team. It is a tough order, but there is a chance that that continues in the regular season.

In some ways Horvat and Boeser limit each other when the play together. Horvat is at his best when he takes the puck to the net...Boeser is at his best when he gets the puck on net.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Baertchi Pettersson Boeser
Horvat Gaudette Goldobin
Lipesic Sutter Virtanen
Others

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
By the time this season is over Green will have tried everyone with Pettersson in a desperate attempt to generate some scoring. I suspect they'll eventually even recall Dahlen from Utica and give him try to see if they can replicate what they did in Sweden.

Seriously, the only guys they need to keep Pettersson well away from are Sutter and Beagle. So yes, Boeser will see some time with him.

Reactions: Dissonance Jr

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Motte-Horvat-Boeser
Baertschi-Pettersson-Eriksson

Horvat & Baertschi play well together & should stick together. Boeser would be better off playing with Pettersson as he has better vision and playmaking ability than Horvat.

Baertschi Horvat Eriksson
Motte* Pettersson Boesser

(Granlund/Roussel can fill in for Motte, who ever retrieves the puck better for Pettersson & Boeser)

Last edited:

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
It will happen inevitably as Horvat isn't offensively dynamic enough to get Boeser going. I think Petterson playing with Goldobin and Boeser will inevitably become the first line by the beginning of the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
In time they will. Just a matter of the minutes green is comfortable with each guy having.

First game was hard to figure out due to the 14 minutes of PK time.

If petterson is getting 15 minutes a game then yeah you can pair him with Brock. If he’s down to the 11-12 range probably should play apart.

Right now teams are matching up their top D against the horvat line. Take brock away and put him with EP I bet that teams send their D against EP line not horvat.

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
It will happen inevitably as Horvat isn't offensively dynamic enough to get Boeser going. I think Petterson playing with Goldobin and Boeser will inevitably become the first line by the beginning of the year.
Already THREE games in and Coach Green aint dont it so beginning of next year is what you mean?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad