Should Nylander be called up to help Leafs scoring woes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
What does any of this discrediting of O' Neil have anything to do with Nylander developing in the NHL. All of you are forgetting that Nylander did play in the AHL prior to this season. Please enligten me and then tell me why the Leafs shouldn't send Rielly down because you know he has to fully develop in the AHL.

Your ready when your ready you shouldn't be sent down when your ready just like you shouldn't be called up when your not.

By all accounts with how people view player development Rielly should be sent down to the AHL as well to fully develop because he wont develop in the NHL

Also, I am guessing you are the 1 vote? If not, why? You think he is ready, vote yes.

Someone is lonely all by themselves.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
He's Canadian born grew up playing on the NA ice and had the privilege of being in NHL dressing rooms as a kid do to his dad, he played last year in the AHL thrived as well so there go's that excuse.

He's going to become what he becomes when they finally decide that the Leafs are ready for him. That's the beauty of going young but unfortunately this isn't the case for this year. We have to go through a season that resembles an expansion franchise than a team actually rebuilding... Now the word from Leafs management isn't that he's ready. They've admitted that he is but management isn't ready for him whatever that means.

I hope they don't call him or any of the kids up but not for the reasons on here being posted that makes zero sense and contradictory when Rielly is on the team taking his NHL EXPERIANCE to develop into a stud right in front of our eyes, the media, hype and all these things that we're using as excuses to keep Nylander down.

No sir. Management should live with there lies and stand by it. It's too late to call him up when it was clear out of camp that he should be in the NHL. You made the call this year to have an expansion type season don't change now just because it's uglier then you thought.

You should never call a kid up to help the woes of the team in the NHL. You call him up because he's wait for it.... ready just like Rielly.

So vote yes already.

He didn't pay Center last year.

He played in Sweeden since 13, and as a American prior. So really, I don't care where he played as a child, huge difference. He was developed in Europe.

Who said anything about Reilly? and who said that maybe the AHL would/wouldn't have helped him? I have seen no such comment.

Why isn't Dermott on the team? Because he looked top 4 in pre-season.

They have a plan, either learn to except it, or move on. You can whine all you want, it has no effect on what the Leaf brass are planing.

As you can see by the voting, you're on an Island all by yourself, while the rest of us can except it. We have NO IDEA what management is thinking.

I have said for MONTHS, I think Nylander should be on the team, management disagrees. I will not throw a tantrum over it.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
Also, I am guessing you are the 1 vote? If not, why? You think he is ready, vote yes.

Someone is lonely all by themselves.

I don't get involved with child like misinformed polls that have no substance to it. The question being asked as a poll is that should Nylander be called up to help the scoring woes? My answer to that question is you never call a kid up to help the woes of the team in the NHL. You call him up because he's ready to develop in the NHL.

That's a real thing NHL development. Nylander more than likely rather it be this year next year or 3 years from now will have NHL struggles. It's inevitable. That's how rookies develop. The thought process that so many have is they think that if he tares apart the inferior sloppy AHL league that he will come to the NHL a complete player all guns blazing at both ends of the ice which is absurd to expect from him or any youngster at that. The AHL isn't the NHL game. He's developing under the AHL game doesn't equal the development he would get from the NHL game.

Case in point Rielly. The NHL experience he's got under his belt of 2 seasons has given him way more than he would have ever got in the AHL. People can disclaim that all they want. NHL ready young players develop best in the NHL because that's the league they need to learn and grow accustomed to.

There's so much BS that get's told when talking player development. Let me ask this if it wasn't for guaranteed contracts do you think management would have dressed an expansion team this season?

OvenMittz*

He's Canadian born grew up playing on the NA ice and had the privilege of being in NHL dressing rooms as a kid do to his dad, he played last year in the AHL thrived as well so there go's that excuse.

He's going to become what he becomes when they finally decide that the Leafs are ready for him. That's the beauty of going young but unfortunately this isn't the case for this year. We have to go through a season that resembles an expansion franchise than a team actually rebuilding... Now the word from Leafs management isn't that he's ready. They've admitted that he is but management isn't ready for him whatever that means.

I hope they don't call him or any of the kids up but not for the reasons on here being posted that makes zero sense and contradictory when Rielly is on the team taking his NHL EXPERIANCE to develop into a stud right in front of our eyes, the media, hype and all these things that we're using as excuses to keep Nylander down.

No sir. Management should live with there lies and stand by it. It's too late to call him up when it was clear out of camp that he should be in the NHL. You made the call this year to have an expansion type season don't change now just because it's uglier then you thought.

You should never call a kid up to help the woes of the team in the NHL. You call him up because he's wait for it.... ready just like Rielly.
The reason i am not taking anything you have to say serious right now is because you keep referring back to Rielly..

It's really simple why Rielly got the call up and Nylander didn't.

When Rielly was drafted.. we were competing. We needed all hands on deck because management felt that we had the playoff team ready and Rielly had the skill to help us out in that department. They were wrong, not wrong about Rielly.. but wrong about the team... we were not ready to compete.

Now we are rebuilding... and growing and developing our prospects because we don't need "all hands on deck" to play on this team, because we are not competing. We are growing... so Nylander has the luxury of growing in a winning environment and a less pressure atmosphere to improve on his flaws/strengths.

The faster you get that idea through your head the less frustrated you will become.

Stream some Marlies games and enjoy seeing these kids grow together and KILLING the AHL like the rest of us.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I don't get involved with child like misinformed polls that have no substance to it. The question being asked as a poll is that should Nylander be called up to help the scoring woes? My answer to that question is you never call a kid up to help the woes of the team in the NHL. You call him up because he's ready to develop in the NHL.

That's a real thing NHL development. Nylander more than likely rather it be this year next year or 3 years from now will have NHL struggles. It's inevitable. That's how rookies develop. The thought process that so many have is they think that if he tares apart the inferior sloppy AHL league that he will come to the NHL a complete player all guns blazing at both ends of the ice which is absurd to expect from him or any youngster at that. The AHL isn't the NHL game. He's developing under the AHL game doesn't equal the development he would get from the NHL game.

Case in point Rielly. The NHL experience he's got under his belt of 2 seasons has given him way more than he would have ever got in the AHL. People can disclaim that all they want. NHL ready young players develop best in the NHL because that's the league they need to learn and grow accustomed to.

There's so much BS that get's told when talking player development. Let me ask this if it wasn't for guaranteed contracts do you think management would have dressed an expansion team this season?

I think if management had their way, we would be WAY worse off. Simply because most likely, Bozak, Phaneuf, and Lupul would all be gone as well.... They just couldn't get it done.

As for Reilly, again, there is no magical wand that will let us see the past if he played in the AHL. It's LITERATELY impossible to make such a comment.... impossible... get it?

No different than me saying Nylander would be better now if he played in the NHL as a 18yo.... How could anyone know such things? It's IMPOSSIBLE. Nothing more than an assumption based on pure speculation.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
The reason i am not taking anything you have to say serious right now is because you keep referring back to Rielly..

When Rielly was drafted.. we were competing. We needed all hands on deck because management felt that we had the playoff team ready and Rielly had the skill to help us out in that department. They were wrong, not wrong about Rielly.. but wrong about the team... we were not ready to compete.

Now we are rebuilding... and growing and developing our prospects because we don't need "all hands on deck" to play on this team, because we are not competing. We are growing... so Nylander has the luxury of growing in a winning environment and a less pressure atmosphere to improve on his flaws/strengths.

The faster you get that idea through your head the less frustrated you will become.

Stream some Marlies games and enjoy seeing these kids grow together and KILLING the AHL like the rest of us.

This.

And ANYTIME you need a source, send me a PM, goes for everyone. I got a source for every Marlie game. (and NO Mods, Streaming is NOT illegal in Canada, only to provide the stream, which I DO NOT, stop being all American :laugh:)

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

yup in rielly's first season he was brought around slowly and only played 17 mins a game, he had 27 pts but was pretty lousy or average defensively. Now his game is developing and he is amazing both sides of the puck. I can see nylander possibly struggling if we trade every good player we have.. so kads, jvr, winny, and komarov. Those are 4 really good player to insulate one line each. Maybe add someone like lupes or mattias if not traded. I think next year 4-6 forwards are enough to bring along nylander, brown, kaps, marner, leivo, lepsic, and maybe matthews. We will be set on defence with dion(hater him or not, he is easily a num 3 dmen and can help younger guys out), rielly(looking like a num 1) and gards( a num 2 or 3 imo). They can help percy, loov, and harrington out. Only concern for me is goal tending, we have bibs and sparks but i hope we draft a high end goalie with our 2nd or if we get another 2nd at the td

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
Peole are so ****ing obsessed with the Leafs performance this season. Hey lets go back to the old ways of putting the band aid on everything since its worked so well. Let management develop this teams future and stop ****ing whining that our team sucks right now. Guess what they sucked the majority of the last 48 years too you can wait a bit instead of pushing this ******** idea that getting into the last seed and getting bumped out of the playoffs is an accomplishment. Nylander staying down has no ill effect on him and he's be up when he's over ready to play.

Not in reference to OP just the general idiots who are so whiny about having a bad team for the sake of the future.

OvenMittz*

Peole are so ****ing obsessed with the Leafs performance this season. Hey lets go back to the old ways of putting the band aid on everything since its worked so well. Let management develop this teams future and stop ****ing whining that our team sucks right now. Guess what they sucked the majority of the last 48 years too you can wait a bit instead of pushing this ******** idea that getting into the last seed and getting bumped out of the playoffs is an accomplishment. Nylander staying down has no ill effect on him and he's be up when he's over ready to play.

Not in reference to OP just the general idiots who are so whiny about having a bad team for the sake of the future.

lol yea those are the impatient fanyboys, That complain that we needed a rebuild, then whine when the rebuild isn't over after 1 season.

But the majority of us are loving these loses, and really want another top 5pick along with more picks by trades.

In Matthews we trust. :sarcasm:

Unbiased

Oct 31, 2015
lol yea those are the impatient fanyboys, That complain that we needed a rebuild, then whine when the rebuild isn't over after 1 season.

But the majority of us are loving these loses, and really want another top 5pick along with more picks by trades.

In Matthews we trust. :sarcasm:

People dont understand you need assests to win and they need to be developed properly. If we grab another top 5 pick this year, pitts first too, were gonna be building and developing onenof our best prospect pools in years.

OvenMittz*

People dont understand you need assests to win and they need to be developed properly. If we grab another top 5 pick this year, pitts first too, were gonna be building and developing onenof our best prospect pools in years.

If we by miracle (although theres a good chance) get Matthews, we will probably have the best prospect pool in leafs history.

It would literally (potential wise) mirror Chicago and more.

Matthews = Toews
Marner = Kane
Nylander = Hossa (prime)
Brown/Kapenen = Sharp/Sadd
Rielly = Kieth

Then you got Soshnikov, Bracco, Johnson, Timashov Gautier(great 3-4th line center) Dermott, Loov and more potential players who will be drafted this year with the scouting of Hunter.

The cabinets will be stocked with great skilled players.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Getzlaf and Perry did it right before they were called up.

The highest points per game in the AHL (min. 40 games player) over the last 5 seasons is 1.36....

...and you want Nylander to post 2.0 ppg before making the jump?

What Getzlaf and Perry did was extremely rare and extremely isolated to that season, the first after the lockout where every single piece of contact was being called as a penalty. And they did it in less than 20 games: virtually impossible for them to keep that up an entire season.

Recalibrate your expectations.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
No, at this point te season is lost. Better to keep the tank going. And I have no desire to burn a valuable ELC year on a wasted season.

I'd have no issue with calling a guy like Panik up though.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
nylander should be up, but any move that helps this team should and cant be made...which is sad...but matthews and company will be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad