Should Nicklas Backstrom start as 2C once he returns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I saw some people discussing the chemistry b/w OV and Kuzy and how Backstroms' return would help out on the PP.

Got me thinking, he should start as 2C and allow Kuzy and OV to do their thing. He can slowly work his way back into the swing of things. I wouldn't want to disrupt the absolute carry job of Ovechkin and Kuzy (alongside Wilson).

What do you guys think?

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
Kuzy has played primarily with Ov for years. Backstrom plays with Oshie
I'd disagree with you. It's been OV and Backstrom for a while (mixed with Oshie to complete their top-line). Kuzy has struggled since the Cup win, so he's been slotted at 2C for a while

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd disagree with you. It's been OV and Backstrom for a while (mixed with Oshie to complete their top-line). Kuzy has struggled since the Cup win, so he's been slotted at 2C for a while

No. I will let someone else explain

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
He’s going to be the 2C. I’m sure if you look up line combos from the past few seasons you’ll see he doesn’t primarily play with Ovechkin.

Reactions: crab

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
upload_2021-11-27_9-17-2.png
upload_2021-11-27_9-17-36.png

This is the TOI from 2018-19 to 2020-21. Looks like Backstrom has been his center for more time than Kuznetsov, but of course Kuznetsov has missed some time due to his suspension, his COVID absence, etc. that could have affected this number. Probably fair to say it's been close to a 50/50 split.

Regardless, I'm not breaking up the Ovechkin/Kuznetsov duo unless there is a very compelling reason to put Backstrom with Ovechkin. If healthy Backstrom would slot in perfectly as the 2C.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
View attachment 484572 View attachment 484574

This is the TOI from 2018-19 to 2020-21. Looks like Backstrom has been his center for more time than Kuznetsov, but of course Kuznetsov has missed some time due to his suspension, his COVID absence, etc. that could have affected this number. Probably fair to say it's been close to a 50/50 split.

Regardless, I'm not breaking up the Ovechkin/Kuznetsov duo unless there is a very compelling reason to put Backstrom with Ovechkin. If healthy Backstrom would slot in perfectly as the 2C.

is this only 5v5?

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
My recollection is that in recent years the Backy-OV tandem has been used more as a reaction to a faltering Kuzy-OV first line (which was a lot of the time), just to shake things up. I don't think there's any way Laviolette breaks up Kuzy-OV unless they are struggling for an extended period of time.

The bigger question for me is how Protas and McMichael fit in once Backstrom and Eller are back. I would have an awfully hard time sending Protas back down at this point.

Reactions: Calicaps

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Why 2018-2019 as the starting point? TR is gone. Lavi is coach.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Kuznetsov got demoted to the Sheary/Sprong line with a big hit in TOI last season as well. This was a reward for his outstanding play. But the Caps default lines are Ov and Kuzy and Backstrom and Oshie

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The bigger question for me is how Protas and McMichael fit in once Backstrom and Eller are back. I would have an awfully hard time sending Protas back down at this point.

There is 1 spot open as long as Mantha is out. There is a 2nd if someone can beat out Sprong. Today if it was just 1, it would be Protas. But in 10 games that could easily flip.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
My recollection is that in recent years the Backy-OV tandem has been used more as a reaction to a faltering Kuzy-OV first line (which was a lot of the time), just to shake things up. I don't think there's any way Laviolette breaks up Kuzy-OV unless they are struggling for an extended period of time.

Looks like we don’t have to wait for Backstrom. Either CMM or Sprong wil be scratched next game. Lavi came to the conclusion that you can’t have enough 4th lines.

Jun 15, 2007
If only we had someone with a lot of speed and skill to pair with Backstrom and Oshie on the left side.

Jun 15, 2007
But extremely skilled. Speed is nice but isn't the main requirement. They'll put a kid on the 2nd line with some wheels (CMM, Protas, etc) who will compliment St. Nick and the Albatross.
?
neither CMM nor Protas are fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad