Should Nelson be LW on first line?

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Not at all. We need a balanced offense. Nelson is becoming our second best player to Tavares, keep them separated, don't fix what's not broken. Tavares makes players around him better, I believe Nelson does the same. Lee should be on the first line with Tavares and Okposo.

I like Conacher's speed but I do notice that he get run over a lot on the boards and he need to try to play to his strength, not weakness. Slot area and front of the net is good for him, not boards. I noticed that JT is trying to stick up for his line-mates which is a good thing for character but not good thing for the team - risking to get injured in a fight, and taking valuable ice time from him. Hope this will not continue, or they need to move Conacher to play with players best suited for that kind of role.

Brock can definitely be a good fit for JT and KO, but it is too early to make the move until this team has gone through the toughest schedule and there are a few big games coming up next week.

I am sure impressed with Kulemin so far. I always liked his game when he was with Toronto and noticed that he still play with the same mentality and bring that defensive element badly needed on the Isles front end.

Hopefully Bailey's game last night will give him some confidence and he will not waiver from the style he played last night, which have not been there for him the past season.

I am sure that Isles can still use Lee anywhere in this line-up. He will be up later this year once they have a better idea how the team will do against tougher opponents, especially once they get Grabner, De Haan and Lubo back in the line-up.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
We'll see.

Because as long as we're winning, things are working, and everyone's healthy there's no reason to change up after only two games.

If Nelson is on JT's LW for game 3 I'll admit I was wrong.

Nobody said that Nelson would be on the first line for game three. In fact, nobody here made any predictions about line combos whatsoever .

I just think it is silly to argue that we shouldn't have conversations about line combos just because we won the first two games.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Nobody said that Nelson would be on the first line for game three. In fact, nobody here made any predictions about line combos whatsoever .

I just think it is silly to argue that we shouldn't have conversations about line combos just because we won the first two games.

Nobody said that we shouldn't discuss your topic.. In fact, nobody here made any references to healthy scratches whatsoever...

I just think that - along with 15 or so other people in this thread and Arthur Staple - we should leave the lines be while we're getting good results..

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
I like Nelson where he is. Both lines are performing decently, and I believe Tavares' line will pick it up even more as time goes on. Nelson has been very dangerous as the 2C thus far.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
One thing I should say about Nelson is he needs to work on faceoffs. I don't understand why we sign a guy for 5M who has a 55% winning faceoff percentage and don't use him on faceoffs.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
Okposo developed into a nice rhythm on right-side faceoffs a couple years back, so the staff has let him take key face-offs instead of Nielsen and Tavares at times. If Nelson doesn't improve at face-offs, it wouldn't shock me if Grabovski began playing a similar role.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Okposo developed into a nice rhythm on right-side faceoffs a couple years back, so the staff has let him take key face-offs instead of Nielsen and Tavares at times. If Nelson doesn't improve at face-offs, it wouldn't shock me if Grabovski began playing a similar role.

Okposo played Center in college so taking faceoffs wasn't a new thing to him(infact if you look at his faceoff percentage it's better then Tavares so it's a smart move using him in the faceoff circle). In the case of Nelson/Grabovski in the faceoff circle, I am not 100% sold Grabovski was a good signing because we really don't need another center but one area I was truly happy we signed him was his ability to win faceoffs(given our teams faceoff wooes), the fact I don't see him in the faceoff circle to me is a waste of one of his best talents

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
It sounds like some posters are more concerned about how our 4 lines look on paper as opposed to how they function throughout the course of the game.

OP referenced Nelson's FO ability (or lack thereof) but disregarded his defensive awareness, hockey sense and how that actually helps his wingers gain more offensive zone time.

Brock Nelson was born to play the center position IMO. If playing LW to JT and Okpsoo, I fear he would ultimately become a mainstay in front of the net as JT and Okposo tend to be puck possession guys (not a bad thing, Nelson is good in front of the net) BUT there is so much more to his game.

Being apart from JT actually gives Nelson the ability to carry the play offensively and keep the line defensively responsible at the same time.

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa
I've got a question guys, now this may inappropriate and im sorry if it is. I'm in a keeper league where we have practice squad. Essentially players you stash away for next year.

I have one final spot and I'm debating whether or not to keep Nelson in my lineup or stash him. I'm not very familiar with him or his game, hoping someone can enlighten me. What's his ceiling/potential? Could he be the 2C in couple years or is that Strome's? Is he better suited on the wing?

Thanks guys and sorry again if this isn't appropriate, just looking for insight and figured you would know best.

Ps: Other options to take that spot are Cam Atkinson (CBJ), R. Murray (CBJ), Mark Stone (OTT), Jacob Trouba (WGP) my league counts PTS,G,A,FOW,PPP,SH,HIT,+/-

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
No reason to tinker right now. Put the big boy pants on and show some patience for now. As hard as it is put some trust in the coaching staff and see how things progress. We are missing our 3 and 4th best defenseman and we played a team that was missing their 2nd and 3rd best players. So let's see how it goes against the Rags.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I've got a question guys, now this may inappropriate and im sorry if it is. I'm in a keeper league where we have practice squad. Essentially players you stash away for next year.

I have one final spot and I'm debating whether or not to keep Nelson in my lineup or stash him. I'm not very familiar with him or his game, hoping someone can enlighten me. What's his ceiling/potential? Could he be the 2C in couple years or is that Strome's? Is he better suited on the wing?

Thanks guys and sorry again if this isn't appropriate, just looking for insight and figured you would know best.

Ps: Other options to take that spot are Cam Atkinson (CBJ), R. Murray (CBJ), Mark Stone (OTT), Jacob Trouba (WGP) my league counts PTS,G,A,FOW,PPP,SH,HIT,+/-

Going to be hard for me to objective when comparing to the players in your list, but I'm saying to keep Nelson.

To answer your other questions, Nelson is ALREADY our 2C over Strome and over the newly acquired Grabovski. Both got pushed to wing to give that spot to Nelson. I am extremely high on Nelson. I think he's going to be a stud and probably better than Strome. It is hard to say what his ceiling is, but he is a big kid who's getting bigger, has a very high hockey IQ, is defensively responsible, has great hands and offensive ability, and is a good skater. He's like the hockey equivalent of a baseball 5-tool-player.

He will have his ups and downs like any young player, and of course won't keep up his current scoring pace. But he will get PP1 time over Strome this year and will put up better numbers than him, IMO.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005

First piece of advice is never ask a fan of a team to rate a player because they generally will give you a biased ranking of him. That being said if I am trying to give a conservative opinion I am guessing he will get somewhere between 50-60 points, 20 of that on the PP. Hits will probably be in the 75-100 range and it's hard to predict plus minus because many times that is a team based stat

Looking at the guys you listed unless there is extra value on defensemen(in which case Trouba is tempting) I would keep Nelson(unless you feel somebody else has a better chance of crackin 60 points).

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

IMO you should be considering either Murray or Nelson. Nelson if you need forwards, Murray if you need defenders. Both of them are on my fantasy leagues as well and with Nelson seeing 2nd line time and being on the first PP unit I think you are looking at pretty good offensive output from him. He's dominated on every level and there are no signs that it's going to be any different in the NHL. So Murray if you need defense, Nelson if you need offense.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
It sounds like some posters are more concerned about how our 4 lines look on paper as opposed to how they function throughout the course of the game.

OP referenced Nelson's FO ability (or lack thereof) but disregarded his defensive awareness, hockey sense and how that actually helps his wingers gain more offensive zone time.

Brock Nelson was born to play the center position IMO. If playing LW to JT and Okpsoo, I fear he would ultimately become a mainstay in front of the net as JT and Okposo tend to be puck possession guys (not a bad thing, Nelson is good in front of the net) BUT there is so much more to his game.

Being apart from JT actually gives Nelson the ability to carry the play offensively and keep the line defensively responsible at the same time.

This is it in a nutshell. That LW spot is for Lee anyway, we all know it.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
No reason to tinker right now. Put the big boy pants on and show some patience for now.

Agreed. He's thriving in his role right now. Give it some time and see how things shake out. The team has options now. The only thing I'd change is to let Grabovski take his faceoffs.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
No that'll mess up the balance. Nelson's good where he is. I want Lee on the first line.

sorondoe

IslAnders
Oct 10, 2012
Ballroom A
Yes, Nelson should be there and will be there, imo. He looks too good with JT on the power play to not give it a shot 5-on-5, and Conacher, to me, just looks a bit out of place with JT and KO. I honestly think he'd be perfect on a line with Cizikas and Clutterbuck. All three are pesky as hell and relentless on the puck, but they also bring different skills to the table outside of just energy. I would absolutely hate to play against the three of them, and I think we'd see quite a few goals from a line like that as a bonus.

Three CC's on the same line. That's just too good to pass up on :handclap:

SenatorFrank

Jan 8, 2014
Ottawa
First piece of advice is never ask a fan of a team to rate a player because they generally will give you a biased ranking of him. That being said if I am trying to give a conservative opinion I am guessing he will get somewhere between 50-60 points, 20 of that on the PP. Hits will probably be in the 75-100 range and it's hard to predict plus minus because many times that is a team based stat

Looking at the guys you listed unless there is extra value on defensemen(in which case Trouba is tempting) I would keep Nelson(unless you feel somebody else has a better chance of crackin 60 points).

IMO you should be considering either Murray or Nelson. Nelson if you need forwards, Murray if you need defenders. Both of them are on my fantasy leagues as well and with Nelson seeing 2nd line time and being on the first PP unit I think you are looking at pretty good offensive output from him. He's dominated on every level and there are no signs that it's going to be any different in the NHL. So Murray if you need defense, Nelson if you need offense.

Thanks guys appreciate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2