Should Milan Lucic be Dennis Wideman'd?

Should he be a regular scratch?

• Total voters

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I don't mean should Milan Lucic hit a linesman and proceed to ruin his career, but I mean no longer be a regular fixture to the lineup? Wideman was always up and down to say the least, but once he lost that extra step and offensive capability he was brutal. The team went through about a season and a half of this before cutting bait with him, and once Stone was brought in at the deadline he did not really play from there.

At this point, I think the team needs to be honest with what they have rather than forcing him on the 2nd line (ironic that Dennis Wideman was forced on our second pair in 2016-17 too) or even the 4th line. The team is objectively better with him not getting a regular role. I think as a 13th forward he's a good guy to have, but honestly I think this team should only be icing 2/4 of Lewis/Duehr/Lucic/Ritchie on a nightly basis.

Reactions: Boomstick

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
He should be traded to Boston. How much salary is he owed at this point, 500ish thousand?

We're out of a playoff spot, ownership probably isn't happy with that and it's clear Treliving is going to push some chips in because he has nothing left to lose given his contract status. We need cap space.

Call up Arizona to help and let Boston add another chapter to their fairytale season while we try to load up for a playoff push

Reactions: Boomstick

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Tough question. Lucic is a good 4th line player. Him and Ruzicka should be swapped, no idea why that hasn't happened. The only thing Lucic does is gets the opponent thinking they could be in for a fight or a big hit on any given moment. No reason for him to be in the top 6. We need offensive production in the top 6 which he clearly can't provide.
In a perfect world, Lucic would sit pretty regularly to give the kids the minutes. We've seen a bit of Ruzicka, Pelts and Duehr get some shifts which is good progress, but next year when we have big money coming onto the books we're going to need these cheap ELC rookies in our lineups. They should be playing this year to get a feel for the big team for next year moving forward.
I agree Lucic should be sitting out, but maybe in a bigger, tougher opponent bring him back in.
Plus we have Ritchie who shouldn't be an everyday player either and I see he's healthy again. So if Lucic sits, wouldn't surprise me to see Ritchie in which isn't a significant upgrade.
Can't believe he actually was on the 1st line with Johnny and Monahan in the bubble year.

Reactions: joescores

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I don't think it makes much of a difference who plays 10 minutes a night tbh. As long as he's not in the top 6 he's not really a big liability on the ice.

I don't know why NHL teams don't use more of a rotation more often though, 82 games is a long season to be playing a sport as strenuous on the body as hockey is. If a deal is to be had with Boston around Craig Smith, I dunno sure pull the trigger. Don't exactly need to see him gone like most Flames fans do.

Reactions: Boomstick and Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad