Should Michel Therrien use Alex Galchenyuk as a center this year?

Avengers*

I think so.

First line: Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Second line: Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Third Line: Bourque-Galchenyuk-Prust
Fourth Line: Whatever

Desharnais could be used as a wing somewhere if he can contribute.

Bourque and Galchenyuk had chemistry together last year the few times they played on the same line

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
For now I don't see any reason to break up the Kid line.

If Plekanec or DD run into injuries, then yes move Galchenyuk to Center.

Or, if MB finds a way to ship DD, then yes move Galchenyuk to center.

Dec 2, 2010
Galchenyuk centring Briere and Prust would be good once this hot streak ends. Don't break up the line that's carrying the team.

FuzzyWuzzy

I'm still alive
Dec 20, 2012
Montreal
I know how they say he'll be their #1 center eventually but i think both Therrien and Bergevin believe its best to leave him on Eller's now for now and for as long as they're successfull together.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
right now he should play where he is producing. there'll be a time to move him to center... as it stands, he's on pace for 162 assists.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
It's gotta happen at some point..

If only we had AK instead of DD. The chemistry was already there with Eller.. ****.

Maxpac - Galchenyuk - Briere
AK - Eller - Gallagher

Just looks so much better :facepalm:

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
I dont think he is there yet specially defensively..but maybe mid way thru the year.

I hope Bergevin knows wtf he is doing with DD..He should be the man out to make room for Gally at centre..heck I'd move him now if I had the chance for a mid pick and not have to take back a contract.

Have Gally as a 3rd line centre with Prust and Briere, who can help Gally out, since he has played centre so much in his career. Or if you want to help out Gally in his own end, put him with Prust and Gionta two good defensively players.

Bourque-Plek-Briere
Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Prust-Gally-Gionta
Moen-White-Parros...

:yo:

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I want him to play center, that's obvously the long term plan. But as it stands no, he will get his chance when one of our centers are out with injury.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
that's the one line that isn't broken. Do. Not. Touch.

I would support DD sitting in the pressbox, and moving Briere to centre and putting Prust with him and Patch.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
If DD & Briere continue to struggle, I'd expect some line changes. Although, I'd be hesitant to touch the EGG line.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If the Habs plan is to eventually move him back to center...the longer it takes to do so, the longer his adjustment period will be.

Reactions: Redux91

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No point whatsoever to do this now, but... He'll get at least a few games. Eventually.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
If the Habs plan is to eventually move him back to center...the longer it takes to do so, the longer his adjustment period will be.

And the longer it takes to do so the more it starts looking like Seguin v.2

The situation just isn't ideal right now. Who woulda thunk we would have a center logjam? And he is left out by default due to his age. Gotta live with it for now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And the longer it takes to do so the more it starts looking like Seguin v.2

The situation just isn't ideal right now. Who woulda thunk we would have a center logjam? And he is left out by default due to his age. Gotta live with it for now.

I don't know how long you can use that excuse for...

Anyways, a decision doesn't have to be made now because he's playing very well where he is now and because there's a log jam at that position.

But the clock is ticking on that IMO...

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I don't know how long you can use that excuse for...

Anyways, a decision doesn't have to be made now because he's playing very well where he is now and because there's a log jam at that position.

But the clock is ticking on that IMO...

Definitely agree.

It's now more clear than ever that DD has to go, imo.

Eller is proving that his potential is sky high, I really see a smaller version of a young Mats Sundin in him. Our next number one center as it's shaping up, he is going to end up better than Tomas Plekanec, I am convinced of this. And Plekanec is not going anywhere in favor of DD anytime soon.

It's also too bad that we signed Briere in the sense that it isn't helping Desharnais one bit when they are paired together.

Last edited:

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I think so.

First line: Pacioretty-Eller-Gallagher
Second line: Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Third Line: Bourque-Galchenyuk-Prust
Fourth Line: Whatever

Desharnais could be used as a wing somewhere if he can contribute.

Bourque and Galchenyuk had chemistry together last year the few times they played on the same line

There's no way that second line will ever work.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

This is a long Schedule and I fully expect him to play center for at least 15 games because I also expect a crap tone of injuries.
That being said, it's obvious that right now MT shouldn't even touch the EGG line because of their hot streak/chemistery. But, I will admit that Galchenyuk isn't playing that good on that line. In fact, he never touches the puck and it drives me crazy. But when he has the puck though, 9 out of 10 times it's an amazing play. Unfortunatly, Eller is always controling it and Chucky can't do anything about it.

The game at Québec vs Carolina showed me a lot of things about him. He was centering his line and he was so vocal, always had the puck before passing it to his teammates, making great defensive plays, he was the general of that line and he looked ready. But he was playing with Prust-Thomas so... That's why I think the EGG line won't last long. As soon as either Eller-Pleck-DD gets injured, I'm pretty sure Chucky will replace them BEFORE Briere and when the injured player will come back, it will be hard to move Galchenyuk on the wing, because MT will know he won't have the same impact, he won't make his teammates as much better, he will be more quiet, etc. Maybe THAT will be the right time to trade a centerman.

Galchenyuk needs to control the puck, he said it and he improved his body strenght. But, it seems he can't do that on the EGG line, even if he still finds way to get pts.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
This is a long Schedule and I fully expect him to play center for at least 15 games because I also expect a crap tone of injuries.
That being said, it's obvious that right now MT shouldn't even touch the EGG line because of their hot streak/chemistery. But, I will admit that Galchenyuk isn't playing that good on that line. In fact, he never touches the puck and it drives me crazy. But when he has the puck though, 9 out of 10 times it's an amazing play. Unfortunatly, Eller is always controling it and Chucky can't do anything about it.

The game at Québec vs Carolina showed me a lot of things about him. He was centering his line and he was so vocal, always had the puck before passing it to his teammates, making great defensive plays, he was the general of that line and he looked ready. But he was playing with Prust-Thomas so... That's why I think the EGG line won't last long. As soon as either Eller-Pleck-DD gets injured, I'm pretty sure Chucky will replace them BEFORE Briere and when the injured player will come back, it will be hard to move Galchenyuk on the wing, because MT will know he won't have the same impact, he won't make his teammates as much better, he will be more quiet, etc. Maybe THAT will be the right time to trade a centerman.

Galchenyuk needs to control the puck, he said it and he improved his body strenght. But, it seems he can't do that on the EGG line, even if he still finds way to get pts.

I pray to Raptor Jesus that you're right. The idea behind all of this is exactly what you mentioned, Galchenyuk needs to control the puck on his line. He doesn't need to be fed by Lars, he can feed others.

hogtownhabsfan*

Less pressure to be defensively responsible on the wing.

Since we want him to be a high end offensive guy above all else, let's wait before he finds that comfort level on the wing before transitioning him to center.

Too many times guys play center early in their careers and they end up becoming two way guys instead of high-end offensive guys.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
that's the one line that isn't broken. Do. Not. Touch.

I would support DD sitting in the pressbox, and moving Briere to centre and putting Prust with him and Patch.

Last year, after a rather lackluster performance vs Toronto in the opener, Eller was singled out and scratched. The whole team looked like crap, but it seems MT wanted to send a message and opted to do it on Eller.

I wonder why he didn't do that to DD this year.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I don't care where he plays if he's playing this good.

I see no reason to take him off the wing right now though.

I know when when he was drafted everyone was all excited about the big bodies #1. Me too. But I don't really care if he plays wing or centre so long as we finally have a legitimate elite player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad