Should Matthews/Marner and Tavares/Nylander keep playing together at 5v5 for the remainder of the season and playoffs?

Should Matthews/Marner and Tavares/Nylander keep playing together at 5v5

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
At Leafs practice today Sheldon Keefe had Bunting-Matthews-Marner the 1st line, with Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander on the 2nd line.

I'm sure a reason for that was the success Tavares and Nylander had in the 2nd period last night.

So, are those line parings something Keefe should keep together for the remainder of the season and playoffs?

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
I like splitting them up. Marner makes Tavares not look as overpaid. I think Tavares struggles at the end of a season because he feels he hasn't contributed enough. Captains are supposed to productive.
It also makes Matthews less of a CY Young type center. It's no accident Willy is having his best season with Matthews. Willy is scoring at a record pace. Matthews has more assists.
Win win. Marner makes Pajama Boy more productive. Matthews brings out the best in Styles. They both stay productive. The two lines are deeper and better.

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Just keep it changing tbh
Last year made sense because Matthews and Marner had some next level psychic chemistry, but this season that doesn’t seem to be there

For now, keep them together, if they continue to disappoint then either:
A) if nylander and Tavares aren’t working, swap back

B) mix and match the LW if nylander and Tavares are working and try and get them more favourable matchups by relying on nylander and tavares

C) if it really doesn’t work and nylander and Tavares are, then try them on seperate lines to get three elite lines, we tried it last year with nylander on L3, we can try it a bit with Marner kr Matthews there for a bit too

Reactions: Dayjobdave

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Maybe but I doubt very much they don’t flip back and forth a few times before the season is out.

Last edited:

Mar 26, 2010
Why not give it a few games and see how it goes.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Voted no because I want Keefe to continue switching them if he doesn't like what he sees. We saw in the playoffs how badly Mitch (and to a lesser extent Matthews) has struggled at times, and you cannot keep them together if it isn't working. We've seen both combos work, so go with what is currently working at all times.

Reactions: ZEBROA and Buds17

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just keep it changing tbh
Last year made sense because Matthews and Marner had some next level psychic chemistry, but this season that doesn’t seem to be there

For now, keep them together, if they continue to disappoint then either:
A) if nylander and Tavares aren’t working, swap back

B) mix and match the LW if nylander and Tavares are working and try and get them more favourable matchups by relying on nylander and tavares

C) if it really doesn’t work and nylander and Tavares are, then try them on seperate lines to get three elite lines, we tried it last year with nylander on L3, we can try it a bit with Marner kr Matthews there for a bit too
Besides Matthews scoring against the Islanders when he was put back on a line with Marner and yes I know that Marner didn't get an assist on his goal. The same thing happened the last time against the Bruins when Matthews tied the game in the 3rd period, with Marner getting the secondary assist.

Voted no because I want Keefe to continue switching them if he doesn't like what he sees. We saw in the playoffs how badly Mitch (and to a lesser extent Matthews) has struggled at times, and you cannot keep them together if it isn't working. We've seen both combos work, so go with what is currently working at all times.
In last years playoffs Matthews had 9 points in the seven games and Marner had 8 points in the seven games. They were also responsible for the game winning goal in Game 5. In my opinion saying they struggled at times isn't accurate.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Besides Matthews scoring against the Islanders when he was put back on a line with Marner and yes I know that Marner didn't get an assist on his goal. The same thing happened the last time against the Bruins when Matthews tied the game in the 3rd period, with Marner getting the secondary assist.

In last years playoffs Matthews had 9 points in the seven games and Marner had 8 points in the seven games. They were also responsible for the game winning goal in Game 5. In my opinion saying they struggled at times isn't accurate.

Lmao. Alright let's pretend my statement was about one playoff, only about points, and lets also use your apparent revisionist history to pretend that the Mitch offseason hate that he's gotten over the last few years was not because of his play in the playoffs (not that I agree with, or participated in it).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Lmao. Alright let's pretend my statement was about one playoff, only about points, and lets also use your apparent revisionist history to pretend that the Mitch offseason hate that he's gotten over the last few years was not because of his play in the playoffs (not that I agree with, or participated in it).
I can't speak for others but if you do a search, I didn't post anything bashing Marner after his performance against Columbus in 2020 or Montreal in 2021. I remember there was topics on here wanting Marner traded, however I choose not to participate in them.

Did Marner struggle those years in the playoffs and was I personally frustrated. The answer to that is yes, however it was with the overall performance of the whole team and not just with Marner specifically.

danny90

Nov 27, 2019
Matthews and Marner were absolutely dominant together last series i don't think you can ask for more from a line in the playoffs tbh

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Nylander is a 100+ point pace player without Tavares. He's not the same player with him.

All 3 of the big 4 are better with each other then with Tavares. But Marner is the most creative so he's the best option to play with him. But we need a more skilled guy with Marner on the LW to get the most of that line.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I like splitting them up. Marner makes Tavares not look as overpaid. I think Tavares struggles at the end of a season because he feels he hasn't contributed enough. Captains are supposed to productive.
It also makes Matthews less of a CY Young type center. It's no accident Willy is having his best season with Matthews. Willy is scoring at a record pace. Matthews has more assists.
Win win. Marner makes Pajama Boy more productive. Matthews brings out the best in Styles. They both stay productive. The two lines are deeper and better.
I think I’m having a stroke.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
You know Bunting, Matthews and Marner will work. Tavares and Nylander always had stretches they looked good and stretches they looked bad and when it was bad, it was pretty bad. If they decide to stick with Tavares and Nylander together, they need to make it a priority to acquire that winger to play with them if a 2nd line LW wasn’t already a priority.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't mind switching it up depending on the situation, but as a baseline, Matthews-Marner and Tavares-Nylander works much better.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
At Leafs practice today Sheldon Keefe had Bunting-Matthews-Marner the 1st line, with Jarnkrok-Tavares-Nylander on the 2nd line.

I'm sure a reason for that was the success Tavares and Nylander had in the 2nd period last night.

So, are those line parings something Keefe should keep together for the remainder of the season and playoffs?
Whenever something isn't working, change it. The team needs 2 top lines.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
Worst thing you can do is lock in your philosophy and be unwilling to deviate. Keefe should be able to switch up lines mid-game/mid-period if things aren't working, not lock in players til end of year.

Reactions: Obo and OddyOh

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
If you run into a team relying heavily on match-ups, it would be nice to be able to juggle the stars and make the other team scramble their lineups. Not sure that would work against EVERY teams. But it might not be a bad tool to have.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There are some that actually believe they won't switch the lines at any point for the rest of the year, that this makes sense and is a good thing?
Not sure how any of these conclusions are arrived at.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I prefer Marner with JT.

The one thing that I do like about Willy/JT is that it forces JT to play at a faster tempo.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I voted to keep Willie and JT together ,

Willie's faster than Mitch so with Johnny Supersonics new found speed this year he may be able to keep up with mumbles a little better .

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander is a 100+ point pace player without Tavares. He's not the same player with him.

All 3 of the big 4 are better with each other then with Tavares. But Marner is the most creative so he's the best option to play with him. But we need a more skilled guy with Marner on the LW to get the most of that line.
True, but neither is Mitch.

I think Willy can generate more offence on his own than Mitch, who has more of a set-up style.

I think switching keeps both lines fresh, and also makes it harder for opponents to strategize.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad