Should Matthews have gotten a first place Hart Vote last season?

Should Matthews have gotten a first place Hart Vote last season?

• McDavid shouldn't have swept, but first place votes should have gone to another player(after28votes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'm of the opinion that Matthews should have gotten a first place Hart vote last season as he was on a 65 goal pace (matching Ovi's historic season). The voters gave all the first place votes to McDavid. This has only been done once before for Gretzky. McDavid dominated the season but not to Gretzky levels so I would think that either Gretzky deserved more Hart sweeps or Matthews deserved some first place votes for his 65 goal pace campaign.

So do you think Matthews should have gotten some first place Hart votes?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
No one other than McDavid should have gotten a Hart vote at all. I’m not even talking just 1st place votes. Literally no one else should have gotten even a 5th place vote. It was so far out of reach.

Reactions: JarvisFunk and bh53

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
I'm of the opinion that Matthews should have gotten a first place Hart vote last season as he was on a 65 goal pace (matching Ovi's historic season). The voters gave all the first place votes to McDavid. This has only been done once before for Gretzky. McDavid dominated the season but not to Gretzky levels so I would think that either Gretzky deserved more Hart sweeps or Matthews deserved some votes for his 65 goal pace campaign.

Because goals aren't everything and McDavid blasted him in the Art Ross race, whereas OV won the Ross and was simply much better than him, and better than McDavid

McDavid was also MUCH better than everyone

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm of the opinion that Matthews should have gotten a first place Hart vote last season as he was on a 65 goal pace (matching Ovi's historic season). The voters gave all the first place votes to McDavid. This has only been done once before for Gretzky. McDavid dominated the season but not to Gretzky levels so I would think that either Gretzky deserved more Hart sweeps or Matthews deserved some first place votes for his 65 goal pace campaign.

This is such a weird argument to try to make. Do you think McDavid should have won the Hart? If yes, you would vote him first. Obviously people are allowed to have their opinions and they can vote for whoever they want, but why would someone vote for Matthews?

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Absolutely not.

Anyone who voted for a player other than McDavid for 1st place should have lost their right to vote, as that would demonstrate an inability to be objective. Luckily all the voters did not do that.

McDavid had more assists than Matthews (or anyone not named Draisaitl) while still being 2nd in the league in goals. There was no one even close.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This is such a weird argument to try to make. Do you think McDavid should have won the Hart? If yes, you would vote him first. Obviously people are allowed to have their opinions and they can vote for whoever they want, but why would someone vote for Matthews?
When Lemieux won the AR race despite missing 1/4 of the season he didn't sweep the Hart. So there should haven't been a McDavid sweep and Matthews deserved votes.

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
First of all, scoring 65 goals in 07/08 is very different than pacing for 65 goals in 20/21. 07/08 was lower scoring and OV didn't play the same crap 5 teams repeatedly (his GPG and PPG were actually higher outside of the southeast division before anyone tries that lame argument).

More importantly, OV in 07/08 finished 1st in goals, GPG, pts and PPG. His next closest team mate had 69pts (43pt gap). Compare that to Matthews who finished 1st in goals and GPG, but was 5th in pts (39 behind McDavid) and 6th in PPG. His own line mate beat him in pts.

In other words, no Matthews did not deserve any 1st place votes and your "comparison" is embarrassing.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Nope. McDavid was a head and shoulders and then some above everyone else. This isn't about a relative measure of players. Matthews getting no votes isn't a knock on him - it's that McDavid is so much better that there isn't any debate.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Nope. McDavid was a head and shoulders and then some above everyone else. This isn't about a relative measure of players. Matthews getting no votes isn't a knock on him - it's that McDavid is so much better that there isn't any debate.
Lemieux didn't sweep after winning AR by 13 pts and missing 1/4 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad