Should Lehtonen be unleashed?

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
I don't understand why Keefe doesn't let Lehtonen put up more minutes. In the games he was in the roster, he was consistent player, always an offensive threat and did simple low risk high reward plays defensively.

Brodie has had subpar season so far (compared to TOI and expectations), and if I was the coach, I would replace him with Lehtonen.

Reactions: forecheck

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I don't understand why Keefe doesn't let Lehtonen put up more minutes. In the games he was in the roster, he was consistent player, always an offensive threat and did simple low risk high reward plays defensively.

Brodie has had subpar season so far (compared to TOI and expectations), and if I was the coach, I would replace him with Lehtonen.
You can't be serious ... comment maybe have had some bite for 1st couple games of season while vets were kicking off rust but common Muzzy, Brodie and Bogo are our best 3 defenders by far ... any one of those 3 would be last 3 guys in our entire lineup I would take out except Matty ... now I was thinking yesterday of giving Rielly a week off to rest and subbing in Lehtonen for him to see how he would look ... each of Muzzy Brodie and Bogo anchor each pair of our defense

Reactions: Cobra777 and cipher

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

No... you don't replace Brodie with Lehtonen, but Lehtonen should be given some more minutes, to see what we have with him. I like what we've seen lately, and do wonder if he should have a future with us.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

Think you need to re-watch his games. He's been behind the play in every game, and hasn't been effective offensively. His play has just been "there". Not really many mistakes, but he hasn't played well.

Reactions: stickty111

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Brodie has been great. Lehtonen has been outplayed by Dermott and Bogosian.

Not really. If he was doing "great" then Rielly would be doing a lot better too.

He's been about as inconsistent as most of our other top guys, but Rielly has at least been able to generate a fair bit of offense on the back end to make up for the pairing's defensive shortcomings to this point. That being said, it's far too early to pull the plug on the pairing, especially when they're starting to look a little bit more comfortable with each other.

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
Not sure where this came from and especially kicking out Brodie.....

Him and holl have been probably our best defenders consistently.

Reactions: LeafalCrusader

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Bogosian and Lehtonen haven't been great, but Lehtonen has been the bigger problem defensively. This is against low quality competition, as well.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Dermott has really outshone Lehtonen to this point, I don't see the argument for him leapfrogging into the top 4, especially when we finally have them contributing. Brodie hasn't been the best version of himself yet, and neither has Rielly, but given the size of their bodies of work I would expect positive regression. By the same token, maybe some negative regression from Muzzin/Holl who have been very good but are coming back to earth a bit.

I could see an argument for making Bogosian part of the rotation rather than just the LD spot.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Brodie is fourth in blueline production and gets the most time on PP2 (and primarily when Lehtonen hasn't been in the lineup). I don't think he's been a disappointment in that regard though. Rather, I'd say Muzzin and Holl have impressed offensively. Brodie also sees time on PK2 that Lehtonen hasn't. Brodie isn't really the reason Lehtonen hasn't played more IMO. The blueline being healthy would be a bigger reason. That probably gives the impression the team has an excess at the position. I'd just call it "depth".

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Not really. If he was doing "great" then Rielly would be doing a lot better too.

He's been about as inconsistent as most of our other top guys, but Rielly has at least been able to generate a fair bit of offense on the back end to make up for the pairing's defensive shortcomings to this point. That being said, it's far too early to pull the plug on the pairing, especially when they're starting to look a little bit more comfortable with each other.
Rielly has honestly been the weakest link of the bunch in the top. 4. Holl's been our best d-man so far. Muzzin and Brodie have been as advertised. Rielly's offense has taken a step back since 18/19 and his defensive flaws are just becoming a lot more glaring.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Watched Rielly only last night as best I could with TV camera restrictions ... he made 6/7 completely unconventional decisions on where he moved both with and without puck ... a couple are moves that forwards only do ... but Rielly put Brodie in some very very bad situations which he recovered ... we need to switch Rielly out of lineup and give him a rest for a week and see what we got in Lehtonen ... fans may be shocked where he has exact same offense but more importantly we also get improved defense .. take out all those weird plays which put us in a bad spot or does a terrible pinch or rushes up ice as a 4th forward at wrong times ..

Reactions: Korg and Confucius

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Pot stirring from a 1st time poster...nothing to see here

Brodie sub-par. HMMMMMM

Chief keefe

Sep 27, 2015
Mississauga

tenor.gif

Teeder Keon

Defeat does not rest lightly on their shoulders
Mar 11, 2019
Deep in the Purple jungles of BC

Sorry
I disagree with your Brodie evaluation ..
I think under the circumstances of being on a new team and new systems and new partner and the crazy pressure that our players are under , especially the Dmen , I actually think he’s done better that some people think ..
The things I see him doing are the subtle nuances of a defence man like angling opponents into the boards , winning battles along the boards , great passes to the forwards , breaking up 2-1 chances ,
A bit physical , honest work ethic and staying at home to let MR go on offence , doesn’t take many penalties and the players seem to talk highly of him as a teammate
Is he perfect, not at all , again I will say this
Show me a player that is
I think as the season continues , you will see more growth and familiarity with the city and play on the ice , which will lead to strong performances in the playoffs
I have no problem with him at all
And overall our defence core and extras are getting the job done and we haven’t had that for years and years
Go Leafs Go

OysterForever

Feb 18, 2021
Not in Philly
You guys are asking "Why Brodie? He has been doing well. Why not <insert any Leafs defenseman here>?"

The point is, the Finn should have a shot in top4. If you let a guy who is not a stay-at-home defenceman to play 10 minutes a night, he can't perform on his natural level. Unleash him! Give him 20 minutes a night.

I don't pretend to be a KHL follower or Helsinki Jokkerit fan, but last season, stats-wise, he was phenomenal and maybe the most valuable player for a single team in KHL last season.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

We need to retire the narrative that Rielly is being dragged down by others. Of course he hasn’t been furnished with the highest quality defensemen over the course of his career. But an elite alpha defenseman is a rock that a coach can play anybody with and have the secure knowledge that his number one can do the heavy lifting at both ends, and that’s probably not Rielly if he needs someone better than Brodie to be successful.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Lehtonen has been fine in his short stint with Toronto. He seems fairly interchangeable with Dermott however. Maybe that’s why he’s not getting clear cut minutes to run with things.

Reactions: forecheck

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
lol brodie has been what now??? dude, u are out to lunch if you think brodie has been subpar.

this must be lehtonens burner acct.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Bogosian and Lehtonen haven't been great, but Lehtonen has been the bigger problem defensively. This is against low quality competition, as well.
in the games Lehtonen has played, he has not struggled defensively.
Rielly on the other hand has sucked large defensively. Dermott has been below average in his own zone, Bogo has actually surprised me with his consistency, but, he has not shown even a glimpse of his toughness, or laid out one player with a decent check (nor has Muzzin for that matter) Holl has been good overall, but, he always regresses as the season wears on.
Brodie after a pretty tough start has been our best defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad