Should Leafs retain 50% of Lupul's Salary?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I'm all for it but I'm not even sure that there are takers. I'm sure that LA, BUF and MTL tried similar proposals lately with the end result being buyouts. Taking the homer glasses off for a moment (not you OP just in general), is Lupul's value that much greater than Richards, Hodgson or PAP at this moment? He's north of 30 now and is probably going to give you 60 hurting games at this point in his career. His leadership wasn't exactly stellar last season. Even at $2.62m I see him being too much of a risk to trade any significant asset for.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
No retention on Lupul. He won't return squat until he re-establishes some value. They could get better return retaining salary on deadline rentals.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Lupul, JVR, and Bozak are all guys that I would be happy to retain 50% on. We don't need the money for the years were retaining.

Phaneuf and Kessel is another story

Why in god's name would we retain anything on a JVR deal? People are getting crazy with this salary retention stuff.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
Lupul's value will go up a lot over the next year, as his biggest year of salary is paid off and hopefully he bounces back.

Retaining 50% right now improves the return from nothing to a 2nd or 3rd. Retaining 50% in a year from now might be able to get a 1st.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I think people are thinking if you retain you get better deals.

It's like kids in a candy store, salary retention for everyone!! Pretty sure GMs are loathe to use it and to use it on a guy like JVR on such a cap-friendly contract, just why why why.

MapleLife*

Why in god's name would we retain anything on a JVR deal? People are getting crazy with this salary retention stuff.

I can't believe how many people don't understand this.

JVR at 2.25 million becomes the best contract in the league bar-none. We could get a king's ransom.
Why wouldn't we retain to increase our return if the retention will not affect us in the long-run.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I can't believe how many people don't understand this.

JVR at 2.25 million becomes the best contract in the league bar-none. We could get a king's ransom.
Why wouldn't we retain to increase our return if the retention will not affect us in the long-run.

Well, we already have Gunnarsson on our retention list, giving us only two more contracts we can do that with. It's pretty much a given we have to retain some if we want to trade Lupul, and more than likely Bozak as well. It's called a safeguard, you don't blow your wad just because. How much more would we get for JVR if the team getting him is saving a measly $2.25M anyway? It's all based on hypotheticals, the risk outweighs the reward in JVR's case I think.

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
No retention on Lupul. He won't return squat until he re-establishes some value. They could get better return retaining salary on deadline rentals.

don't understand why so many are talking about retaining salary at the deadline a 2 million dollar cap hit for the season at the deadline usually right around the three quarter mark means his cap hit is around 500K to his new team meaning the most you can retain is 250k which seems pretty pointless, so unless were renting someone out whose in the 4-5 million range don't see retaining salary on deadline deals making the other team give us better offers. and we don;t have anyone like that to sign in the UFA market on one year deal.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
don't understand why so many are talking about retaining salary at the deadline a 2 million dollar cap hit for the season at the deadline usually right around the three quarter mark means his cap hit is around 500K to his new team meaning the most you can retain is 250k which seems pretty pointless, so unless were renting someone out whose in the 4-5 million range don't see retaining salary on deadline deals making the other team give us better offers. and we don't have anyone like that to sign in the UFA market on one year deal.

Yeah I guess the math would require a pretty specific and expensive one year deal to be a silver bullet at the deadline. Either way, if Buffalo couldn't find a taker for Hodgson at 50% of $4,250,000 it seems unlikely Lupul is going to generate a high pick at 50% of his deal. I have no issue retaining on the bigger contracts if its the difference in making the best deal but not for players who will return little or nothing.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Why would we retain on Bozak? For that matter, how much of an issue is Lupul? The two contracts that I want to move are Kessel's and Phaneuf's, the big ticket items. Retain on those and we get much better players coming back this way.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I'd wait till deadline, Lupul should be back to top 6 form and then he would get a 2nd + a good prospect for 50% retained

Or..... He'd be on the Long Term Injury list.

Time to sell. And keeping salary for the next 3? Who cares. The Leafs don't need to be a cap team for a long time. Retaining salary helps to get to the floor.

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Lupul, JVR, and Bozak are all guys that I would be happy to retain 50% on. We don't need the money for the years were retaining.

Phaneuf and Kessel is another story

You don't retain on an 8 year deal unless you are getting an amazing offer.

I wouldn't think twice about retaining on contracts with 2-3-4 years left on them...

BlueForever

Sep 23, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I honestly don't think the Leafs should retain on any of the players whether it be Lupul or Bozak or Kessel or Phaneuf!!!

Guys its simple. All these players stopped playing when Carlyle was let go. Its that easy. So they all didn't care for the stats, where put under a dead duck coach to lead them and they knew this. Im not saying its right for them to have done that but they did and it hindered all of their value.

I know GM's around the league know this all too well and know that there is inexperience in the managerial ranks in the Leaf organization. They think they can take advantage of them like they are all doing or trying to with Boston and their GM Sweeney.

Leafs should hold on to all these players until after the season has started. Give the players the opportunity to come to camp in shape with something to prove. And give Babcock an opportunity to coach this team and players.

None of these guys are going to be taking days off with Babcock. Their play and stats will improve. No need to eat money now.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
If he can't be dealt without retaining salary, than I'd rather just keep him.

I was down for a lesser cap dump for bigger cap dump + asset deal (i.e. Lupul + 24 for Richards + 13), but I refuse to hold dead money for three years simply because I have a sour taste in my mouth from the previous season.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I would like to get rid of as many guys as possible just to create a new atmosphere in the room. If you come back next year with more than one of Dion, Phil, Loops, and Bozo, then they still control the room.

Looking long term I think it's best to get as many of these guys out before training camp. But like anything in trade discussion it's all about the specifics. If we retain are we getting back a mid to late 1st? If so, sure retain. But i don't think that deal is out there.

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
Yes I would, because its equivalent to if we bought him out, but in this case we would get and asset back, hopefully a 2nd and a 3rd if he plays well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad