Should John Davidson take over the "Todd Richards Show" on 97.1 The Fan?

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I'm not a fan of the head coach doing a show like that during the season.

It's common across the nation for all sports. Thad Matta and Urban Meyer have their own call in shows on the same network. It's probably part of their contracts.

Wasn't exGMDM the first GM to host a regular radio show? And that was only because of his ego. Its pretty standard for those types of shows to be coaches shows.

Yes he was. He liked to brag about that to feed his ego, of course. But I also think he knew he was probably the best choice to use it as a soapbox to help sell the CBJ to a new market. It was one of his Presidential skills that was put to good use and was a success for the CBJ and the city as a whole I think.

The more public you make yourself, the easier a target you are for fans and media's ire when things don't go well is all I'm saying.

Howson was forced to make himself more public, reacting extremely slowly on matters that had clearly spun out of control.

Let JD be a cheerleader in public and be the real power behind the organization behind a closed door.

That's true about the public part. People were definitely sick of xGMDM at the end. Howson being a more reserved guy was seen as a positive trait at the time of his hiring.

So far JD has not been like Howson in that regard. He's been on the air a lot since arriving in Columbus. It's one of the reasons I think he would be able to succeed in doing it.

----

JD can donate 15 minutes of his time a week to be on air. It's not like he has to be on the show for the full 40-ish minutes they are actually on air each week. It's not THAT big of a commitment to make at 7pm on a Wednesday for the guy. They can tape it if they need to work around a scheduling conflict.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
It's common across the nation for all sports. Thad Matta and Urban Meyer have their own call in shows on the same network. It's probably part of their contracts.

Not sure if it's "common", but it's certainly not "uncommon". Just stating my preference.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
A no talent hack?

correct...i tried to have a civil conversation with him, but b/c he's a bears fan and I'm a packers fan he called me a moron and blocked me on twitter...i've since removed 97.1 as a preset...and couldn't care less what they discuss any longer...

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I like Common Man because he knows what he is. Even if they are discussing something I have no interest in (like the new OSU logo) they are still entertaining about it (have Brutus flying the double bird).

But anything on after him is just droning on and on about Buckeye Basketball. Snore..

That show made me laugh for a while, but I can't stand it anymore. Maybe Torg was the secret ingredient, but its too much Rigordotti now. To me, its as bad as Mike and Mike morning.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
That show made me laugh for a while, but I can't stand it anymore. Maybe Torg was the secret ingredient, but its too much Rigordotti now. To me, its as bad as Mike and Mike morning.

I can listen to Mike and Mike as well as Common Man. I don't really agree with them or take what they say seriously, but I can listen. Any time Common Man brings up hockey, though, I almost entirely disagree. But I don't listen to them for sports news or even opinions because I get my news online and their opinions are hilariously under-informed.

I absolutely can't listen to Cowherd or the Buckeye Show. I'm so glad Adam Neft is gone, he was beyond terrible.

Last edited:

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
I used to listen to 97.1 quite a bit, but I only really ever tune in for post game after leaving the rink these days. I rarely leave the SiriusXM world. Hair Radio and the NHL network are on 80% of the time I'm in my car, and the ipod another 19%.

Hugg

Aug 2, 2005
Columbus
I think sports talk radio, as a whole, is a stupid concept and that's because I'm not the target audience. Sports radio is designed for casual fans. The types of fans who come to places like this board (I don't post as much as I used to, but lurk every day) always know more than the hosts about their team and so the whole thing is just pointless to us. We're simply not the target audience and never will be.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nothing should be changed this season barring Richards be fired before the end of the season…. which he won't be.

Next season the show should be cancelled unless Davidson wants to do it... Let’s build a winning tradition first then think of weekly management shows when there is something positive to talk about...

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
If JD has the time to do it, I'd love to hear and see more of him on radio and TV.

He's fantastic at both and it seems like a waste if he's not doing it.

That said, if he needs to be doing other things right now to get the team headed "north", I can appreciate that.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think it's a bad idea for JD to do it. All he can do is say things that either makes himself look bad or devalues our players.
The smart head coaches (regardless of sports) get on the air - praise their players, talk about how good their upcoming opponents are and talk about nothing tactical at all.
GMDM was silly enough to go on there and give bulletin board material (I wouldn't trade my raoster for anyone elses, etc) and announce strategy (who was starting the lines, how many minutes to expect). Now maybe some of that stuff was needed to get the fan base educated/excited.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
For the most part these shows are for entetainment. With Rimer or McElligot hosting, it is more of yuk yuk than anything else. They have guests call in and talk about old times. I agree with Matthew that JD isn't going to leak the company secret.

I used to like the Hitch show for just that, the stories of years past. How these guys got to where they are today and who they met along the way. Of course they will talk about current events, but it is more entertainment than tactics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad