Should John Davidson take over the "Todd Richards Show" on 97.1 The Fan?

Matthew

OK Boomer
Dec 21, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
JD is the voice of the Blue Jackets far more than anybody in the organization. I feel like Richards is a 50% lame duck at least. He's on borrowed time and borrowed air time.

Personally, I haven't listened to the show since they moved it to 7pm on Wednesdays during the Arniel era. Partially because of the time slot and partially because I hate Scott Arniel. He was never good on the show. Maclean was always entertaining. Hitchcock was insightful and entertaining as well. It's been on a decline since.

I know if JD took this show over, I'd actually give it a listen. I'd make sure I listened to the podcast if I missed it live which would probably happen often due to the horrible timeslot.

MAKE IT HAPPEN, 97.1 THE FAN.

Last edited:

HoldFast13

DESTROY!!!!
Oct 23, 2010
Columbus OH
I wouldn't mind if the shows format switched to include members of the management including JD. Personally I think the Fan could use more Hockey coverage period, other than the occasional blurb about the CBJ and the 2 horribly scheduled shows (that I can't seem to find replays of anywhere online that actually work)

Zoo16

Bye West,Hello East!
Oct 30, 2008
Columbus, OH
Heck no. Davidson has a lot of work to do, and doesn't need another distraction. Have him as an occasional guest when he's not busy. But let Richards continue with the show.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
Definitely Davidson. He is the kind of guy that could entertain for hours about mundane things. Seriously, it would be another way for him to sell his ideas and directions that he wants to take this team. He is as or more entertaining than Hitch and Doug.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
Here's my problem with that:

MacLean did that show, wore many hats, was the face of the franchise, and in the end, it was essentially his ego that outdid him. He was at war with the team's beat writers, certain staff members at the fan still talk about MacLean....

JD is fine with what he does now. Comes on after big news, talks about the organization and the direction, then goes back to overseeing it. In fact, I'd slowly start bringing GMJK in to do these "State of the Organization" interviews.... Let the coach's show remain the coaches show.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I'm not a fan of the head coach doing a show like that during the season. As far as JD goes, well if I have to hear about bricks anymore or going north ever again it will be far too soon.

So what does this mean as a conclusion? I would rather not have a weekly show focused around a single Blue Jackets representative. Give me a guy talking Blue Jackets on a weekly show, NOT on Sunday morning, and invite guests.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
Didn't even know there was a "Todd Richards Show" on 97.1FM.... haven't listened to those Buckeye Blowhards since they were 1460am the Fan and the "Flagship of the Columbus Blue Jackets", but no one outside of I-270 could hear them.

Happy Valentine's Day Sirius XM :rose:....don't ever leave me. :heart:

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
Bob McElligott hosts. I caught some of the show last night in transit. Yeah I guess they could vary the folks from the org.

Ok at least they have a hockey person hosting the show now.

I would be more inclined to listen if it was JDs show, but it's still unlikely my dial would be tuned to 97.1.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I wouldn't mind if the shows format switched to include members of the management including JD. Personally I think the Fan could use more Hockey coverage period, other than the occasional blurb about the CBJ and the 2 horribly scheduled shows (that I can't seem to find replays of anywhere online that actually work)

I agree.

Kev22

Feb 19, 2003
Plain City, OH
Visit site
I've never been able to figure out everyone's hatred for 97.1. If anyone has the deluded thought that the Jackets coverage will somehow match the Buckeyes, you're crazy.

I will say that they talk more hockey now then ever before. While they aren't experts in any way, I think that Bishop and Rothman talk fairly intelligently about hockey almost daily. They often lead their show on days after games talking about all Jackets in the first segment. I think that both B&R and Common Man are making the effort to talk about the Jackets and more than to just bag on them.

KeithBWhittington

Going North
Jun 14, 2003
Brick by Brick
Visit site
The more public you make yourself, the easier a target you are for fans and media's ire when things don't go well is all I'm saying.

Howson was forced to make himself more public, reacting extremely slowly on matters that had clearly spun out of control.

Let JD be a cheerleader in public and be the real power behind the organization behind a closed door.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Wasn't exGMDM the first GM to host a regular radio show? And that was only because of his ego. Its pretty standard for those types of shows to be coaches shows.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not a fan of the head coach doing a show like that during the season. As far as JD goes, well if I have to hear about bricks anymore or going north ever again it will be far too soon.

So what does this mean as a conclusion? I would rather not have a weekly show focused around a single Blue Jackets representative. Give me a guy talking Blue Jackets on a weekly show, NOT on Sunday morning, and invite guests.

I don't know...without a coach doing something midseason, we'd never have the glory of the prank version of "Manager's Corner with Earl Weaver".

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
I'd prefer snipets from coach, GM, JD and even players. During the season, and especially a shortened one like this, everyone needs to remain focused. Let Rimmer do it and go with the snipets.

1857 Howitzer

******* Linesman
Aug 27, 2007
Ohio
I've never been able to figure out everyone's hatred for 97.1. If anyone has the deluded thought that the Jackets coverage will somehow match the Buckeyes, you're crazy.

I will say that they talk more hockey now then ever before. While they aren't experts in any way, I think that Bishop and Rothman talk fairly intelligently about hockey almost daily. They often lead their show on days after games talking about all Jackets in the first segment. I think that both B&R and Common Man are making the effort to talk about the Jackets and more than to just bag on them.

Their Ohio State coverage sucks too. They are a bad radio station and are only still on the air because they have the rights to Ohio State football and basketball broadcast. 610 blows them out of the water when it comes to OSU football and their not even a sports station.

BJFan1

Feb 6, 2008
Columbus

I'll give you that they do a better job now than they ever did... at least they are coherent on what the topic is that they are talking about now. They do cover it daily... but the CBJ still get shafted by the station, I don't care who the talk show host is or what they say. The station is the big problem. Why??? Here's a BIG example of the reason why a lot of CBJ fans hate them being the "flagship station of the CBJ" (whenever there isn't a OSU game..)

A big event in franchise history... the first EVER European GM... and the live press conference was not covered... wasn't even talked about while it was happening. We tuned in to see if it was going to be on, and it wasn't even mentioned until after the conference was over. At least Sirius/XM mentioned that there is currently a live press conference going on and made the announcement.... 97.1 pretty much said normal football talk in February was more important.

If Urban Meyer took a ***** on the field and needed to make a statement at a live press conference, you better believe they'd have it on.

Point is, the CBJ to the station is an after-thought, and that's the issue. Not so much the hosts, the station management.

Any way... I'd love to have JD do a show, or at least do it once a month or something. Much more insight than HCTR.

Last edited:

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
97.1 is horrible. There is not a single hockey knowledgable person on that payroll....well I guess they pay Rims to do the show. I gave up on that channel years ago (home of the blue jackets my ass).

My coworker told me on the drive home yesterday, they spent all their time talking about Felix Hernandez. Who in Central Ohio gives 2 ***** about FELIX HERNANDEZ, the Venezuelian born pitcher of the Seattle Mariners. Its Seattle for Christ sake, and secondly, this is Columbus...we don't even have an MLB team. But that goes back to the same old problem with 97.1. They know baseball and football, and god forbid they get someone on that payroll that knows anything about any other sport. Its 100% US mainstream radio coverage (Buckeyes, Reds, Indians, NFL, MLB).

Guess what Common Man, we hired a new GM, right here in your radio stations home city. Maybe you can take some time away from your coverage of Seattle, Washington's MLB team to actually talk a bit about the NHL team in your home city.

:shakehead

Last edited:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I like Common Man because he knows what he is. Even if they are discussing something I have no interest in (like the new OSU logo) they are still entertaining about it (have Brutus flying the double bird).

But anything on after him is just droning on and on about Buckeye Basketball. Snore..

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
Their Ohio State coverage sucks too. They are a bad radio station and are only still on the air because they have the rights to Ohio State football and basketball broadcast. 610 blows them out of the water when it comes to OSU football and their not even a sports station.

and I've gotten more CBJ news from WCBE (npr). No joke.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I like Common Man because he knows what he is. Even if they are discussing something I have no interest in (like the new OSU logo) they are still entertaining about it (have Brutus flying the double bird).

But anything on after him is just droning on and on about Buckeye Basketball. Snore..

Man I wished I could find him entertaining.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad