Should he win the Vezina, Is Connor Hellebuyck a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

Should he win the Vezina, Is Connor Hellebuyck a Hall of Fame Goaltender?

• Yes

Votes: 11 14.1%
  • No

Votes: 47 60.3%
  • He's already on the right path anyway

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Not yet

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Connor Hellebuyck is on fire this year.
.931 SV%, 2.29 GAA, 3 Shutouts.
Looks like a strong candidate for the Vezina this season.

Now should he win it, Does he have a Hall of Fame resume?
He has A Vezina already from 2020 and was a runner-up in 2018.
I also don't know if there has ever been a Goaltender who made 3 All Star Teams in the expansion era and missed the Hall of Fame.

Let's Discuss.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina's and is not consensus in the HHOF so I don't see the argument for Hellebuyck. If he gets another this year, and can win some sort of team medal(s) before he retires, then yeah sure.

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
Bobrovsky has 2 Vezina's and is not consensus in the HHOF so I don't see the argument for Hellebuyck. If he gets another this year, and can win some sort of team medal(s) before he retires, then yeah sure.
This is why I added that he has had 2 elite seasons beforehand, which puts him on par with bobrovsky. If he gets one this year, he would already be one step ahead of bobrovsky.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Still a lot of career to go, and a cup would certainly help, but I'd argue he's certainly on the right path to it.

Voters are starting to get around to the idea of analytics, so they'll be able to take into account his workload and how bad the defenses infront of him have been.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Probably not if he retired at the end of the season but he could get there, especially with a Cup

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
If he doesn't win a cup he'll likely need to be extremely consistent and play another 7+ years to be considered. Luongo is the first goalie inducted that didn't win a cup since Giacomin back in the 80's.

The hall seems very finicky with goalies. You have someone like Barrasso who has a Calder, Vezina, Jennings, 3 x all-star and 2 cups still on the outside looking in. Maybe that's due to his up and down play, hard to say.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
If I did my math correctly, since the Vezina trophy was award to goalies by voting in the 1982-1983 season, if Hellebuyck gets nominated this year, it puts him in pretty exclusive territory with 3 nominations and 1 win.

List of goalies who have 3 nominations (or more) + 1 win (or more)
Vasilevskiy
Rinne
Lundqvist
Brodeur
Kiprusoff
Belfour
Roy
Hasek
Barrasso
Fuhr

Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour are the only goalies from the list who have 2 wins or more + 1 other nomination or more...)

Last edited:

FlappyGiraffe

Go Jets Go
Sponsor
Jul 3, 2015
Winnipeg
He's still pretty young for a goalie, I could see him playing at this level for another 6+ seasons. I think he has a good chance at it if he doesn't regress

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Definitely. Hellebuyck is the #1 goalie in the past 5 years. He has carried the Jets on his back for long stretches of time. Playing for Winnipeg will hold him back from the Hall of Fame, but if he played for the Leafs, statues would have been erected of him by now in Toronto.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
People sometimes forget that the most important element to a hall of fame career is longevity. He only has 212 career wins. Hasek, who only really started as a #1 goalie at age 29, has 389, so almost double...

I voted no, but would rather have voted not yet.

2 Vezinas would be terrific, but he only makes the hall of fame on top of that if he can remain a strong #1 goalie with more strong seasons in the next few years. If he falls off considerably, then no.

So....maybe?

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
People sometimes forget that the most important element to a hall of fame career is longevity. He only has 212 career wins. Hasek, who only really started as a #1 goalie at age 29, has 389, so almost double...

I voted no, but would rather have voted not yet.

2 Vezinas would be terrific, but he only makes the hall of fame on top of that if he can remain a strong #1 goalie with more strong seasons in the next few years. If he falls off considerably, then no.

So....maybe?
Yeah, I feel I should have added a not yet option.

While he may not yet be a hall of famer, You would be delusional to think he doesn't even has a chance.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I think if his career goes as expected he'll be in the hall of fame so #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad